Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Eyfs Review Recommendations

Steve

I can''t get either of them to open, and I do have adobe acrobat installed. My saved pdfs are opening but I can't get these to open, even when I go to the Department of Education website. :o

I can't open them anywhere and am fed up with trying!

congratulations Nona - fab recognition of your work

-today we heard that our Ofsted which was imminent, has been deferred til summer 2012!

Thank you for all these wonderful links Steve and Jacquie, I love the forum.

What is the next step in terms of accepting and implementing recommendations I wonder?

What kind of setting are you in JenWren? And can I ask where you heard that your inspection will be deferred? A colleague said something similar that she "heard somehwere" and I was quick to think that was wishful thinking!!

We (private day nursery) were last done September 2007 and are waiting with baited breath!!

Guest cathy m

Congratulations Nona, you will be delighted

Quite a few childminders in my area had a call from Prospects a few weeks ago but they are still waiting!

Cathy

Those of you who are having problems opening the documents - have you got a recent version of Acrobat Reader? You can download the latest versions here (there are different versions for different operating systems, but this page should detect which OS you are using).

Guest lucyevans

Yes... Michael Gove may just dig a big hole and bury it so to speak!

Have read this during the pm in the office. It's a pragmatic approach and retains the EYFS ethos and principles and I think sets a few common misunderstandings straight into the bargain.

Not too worried about the KS1 stuff as she roots this in the NC review and expresses hope that the Govt. will build up not down! (My words)

She points out that there may be no one in LAs to disseminate this to settings etc so it will have to be very clear!!

All in all positive but we have to remember it's just recommendations until the Govt. agree with them!

Cx

PS is 74 users reading a topic a record????

Does the review address the amazing number of developmental matters or just the FSP points? I am in a Nursery and am REALLY hoping that they will reduce the number of DMs. In 30-50 to 40-60 there are at least 250 per child......to be assessed at least 6 times a year formally.......too too many. Any news any one??

Maybe just maybe we will all be able to get down to what really matters and that is the children. Glad to hear that they admit that the EYFS has been successful. Great idea to slim down the paperwork but I am a bit concerned about the criteria of only PSED, PD and CLL what happened to PSRN? Is that not also a valued concept for children?

Would just like to thank you guys for the links they are very useful. Thanks to FSF for posting the findings and informing us. :o

What kind of setting are you in JenWren? And can I ask where you heard that your inspection will be deferred? A colleague said something similar that she "heard somehwere" and I was quick to think that was wishful thinking!!

We (private day nursery) were last done September 2007 and are waiting with baited breath!!

aliwalli - I am in Reception class of a small primary school - the letter was direct from Ofsted - private nursery who work alongside me are not sure whether they should still expect their Ofsted or if they will be similarly deferred. Up until now we have been inspected separately, but there were rumours that we would be inspected at the same time on this next cycle...

Great idea to slim down the paperwork but I am a bit concerned about the criteria of only PSED, PD and CLL what happened to PSRN? Is that not also a valued concept for children?

That was my initial reaction too but in the suggested Early Learning Goals there are 2 relating to mathematics; one for numbers and one for shape, space and measures. The numbers one incorporates some calculations using numbers to 10.

At first glance it looks very positive.

Will have another look after school later.

As stated previously if it involves a major slimming down of the DM statements I will be pleased. However, Reception teachers are still under huge pressure to deliver in reading, writing and phonics - headteachers are still refusing to accept the 'equal weight' philosophy of the EYFS and I doubt this review and subsequent documents will do anything to quell the demands of SMTs and local authorities in their misguided pursuit in raising standards in CLLD.

We report FSP scores in the six areas every June but the local authority only judge our FS standards by our combined scores in CLLD, PSRN and PSED.

Edited by ChrisAR

That was my initial reaction too but in the suggested Early Learning Goals there are 2 relating to mathematics; one for numbers and one for shape, space and measures. The numbers one incorporates some calculations using numbers to 10.

Is there a website that we can actually see the suggested Early Learning Goals so that we can make a more informed opinion. I know they have been scaled down from 69 to 17 but it will be interesting to see what they have deemed important.

Is there a website that we can actually see the suggested Early Learning Goals so that we can make a more informed opinion. I know they have been scaled down from 69 to 17 but it will be interesting to see what they have deemed important.

[/quote

It is an interesting report! If the government is so conscious of children's development and acknowledge that the EYFS is successful then why are we shutting down surestart centres? What is the ethos behind that?

At first reading it seems that although there are 'only' 17 statements much of this has been achieved by bundling the statements together. I will probably find myself counting how many are actually still there but I suspect it will still be around 50 seperate sentences.

On the good side the reading and literacy appear more sensible, but any reference to construction or block play seems to have disappeared. Also the emphasis on role play in creative seems to have been watered down.

I have to say my first impression is there is overwhelming support for the EYFS across all sectors and formality is taking a back seat, but that the issue of ratios in repcetion class have been ducked once again.

I was expecting much much worse when I first read the consultation.

Funny how Tickell praises ECAT a day before it ceases.

Lets wait and see what the ministers come up with.

Oh is it only me that thinks OFSTED got a bit of slapping in this report

Dead heat I think?

So what are your thoughts Jacquie - haven't heard much from you yet?

I've only skimmed it Steve but on the face of it it seems to reaffirm good EYFS practice. I feel that there is a bit of a cop out over ratios in reception classes, which was something I wrote a lot about in the consultation, funding leading practice and not children's needs being addressed. I also wonder what getting children ready for Y1 means? I like the way that the ELGs are to be judged on 3 levels in terms that parents can understand. I also like the emphasis on CL away from Literacy. I intend to read it in detail next week.. hopefully. At the end of the day it is a Review, but will the Government listen and act on it if they don't agree with the findings?

Hmm, haven't had a full read yet so will reserve judgement until later!

Lot's of work for Steve and Matt, please don't even consider changing PRAMS too much though :o

Not in the near future - remember this is a recommendation which has to be responded to by government and then pass through the wringers and wheels of legislation and practical design. They've already said nothing is going to change until September 2012.

Not in the near future - remember this is a recommendation which has to be responded to by government and then pass through the wringers and wheels of legislation and practical design. They've already said nothing is going to change until September 2012.

I have read through the review, and I feel positive about it. I work with 2 and 3 year olds and am always finding myself saying how important language and social skills are. So I cannot contain my enthusiasm for the the three prime areas.

I think someone posted about PSRN slipping down in importance, but I feel that PSRN like CD, KUW and Literacy make up our day and in the play based environment it is "second nature." But it is the prime areas that need good, strong assessment in order for the children to progress in the others.

I am so pleased that it has been recognised at what a good document the EYFS is. I had worried that the principled way may not appear "school" enough and may vanish.

The one one worry I do have though is that there appears to be an opportunity for independent schools to opt out of the learning and development theme. I wonder if this may not bring about tiered system once again as there used to be many moons ago between nursery and playgroup?

Good to hear everyone is looking at it already and it says a lot for our committment to our work!

Before we get carried away with how good the 'reduction' of the ELG's is, actually I am sad enough to have counted them. There are 43 seperate sentences at the 'expected' level. There are 43 seperate sentences at the 'exceeding ' level. There are 43 seperate sentences at the 'emerging' level. Clearly not an accident. Now that makes 129 seperate statements which will need to be considered when assessing a child's 'readiness' or 'unreadiness' for school. If you consider that several of these sentences actually include multiple points then the number is nearer to 150!! Whilst I welcome the fact that some of the language has been clarified and simplified, they seem to be a lot more consistent with the use of ands/ors and again this leads to multiple assessment points in one sentence.

So let's be more than a little wary about welcoming a 'reduction' in our workload. Is there not something of a pig-in-a-poke about this?

And what of on-entry assessment? Is the intention that the two tranches of statements for younger children will become the new 'on-entry' assessment? On re-reading it seems that those will be the basis of a baseline judgement in a child's third year. Not sold as that but it is there to be taken up by ministers - so this is looking more and more like a clever piece of work. Promoting play based learning but also introducing significant assessment points. Or have I got it wrong?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)