Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Level 4 Seeks Position (herts/cambs)

Hello all,

I'm a "late starter" in EY, having followed a different career, turned it into working from home while my children were small, and then re-thought my life!

Despite my previous professional qualifications and management training, EY is where I want to be.

After six years at a rural pre-school (working as an assistant for 3-4 sessions each week), I'm ready to move on.

I have a level 4 EY qualification (Open University) which is an interim award in my EY FD. I am studying without financial support form my setting, and I plan to carry on this way.

My working experience spans the 24 month to rising 5 age group, but I also have experience with my own children from birth onwards (they are now aged 11 to 18 years), plus some temping in an after school club (ages 4 to 12 years). For the last 15 months, I have also worked in a home-based educational intervention with a severely ASD child.

I am knowledgeable and capable. Aside from my OU study, I have always been committed to on-going training. I am a qualified first-aider, and have also attended courses on a wide range of subjects (child protection, behaviour management, speech and language, ICT - including SmartBoard use, curriculum planning, etc., etc.).

My skills and knowledge are under-used in my present setting, and I feel that there must be an opening in my area (North Hertfordshire/South Cambridgeshire) where I can progress, with mutual benefit. I desparately want to perform a key worker role, where I can use my abilities to their full potential.

From September 2005, when my youngest child moves to secondary school, the flexibility of my working day will increase: I will be able to leave home at 8.30 a.m. and return by 3.30 p.m.

If you have a position available, please contact me. If you are not interested in me, but you know someone who may be, could you please pass on the above information.

Over and above everything, I enjoy working with pre-school children!

Diane

How could anyone fail to be interested in you Diane!

Its great to read your positive, assertive post: I'm sure some lucky group will snap you up before too long!

Maz

• 4 weeks later...

Hello again everyone!

I'm here just to keep this topic "active" - - - just in case someone offering the right opportunity drops in!

Very selfish, I know, but I hope no-one minds.

Best wishes to all,

Diane

Diane,

Does your EYDCP have a recruitment section you could tap into, ours does, it is a contact point and you remain anonomous, just give them your CV to pass to prospective employers.

Just a thought, good luck again :D

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

my nursery were advertising a playworker vacancy, not sure if they've filled it yet . All our staff are expected to take on key worker roles and plan activities etc. and the managers love people with new idears and enthusiasm. But as you're a level 4 not sure if you were looking for a higher position?

anyway we're in south cambs and i think the vacancy was listed on the job website the person above me mentioned :)

Just picking up on your post Befals, I'm always fascinated by the variety of names given to people who work in pre-school. How does a playworker differ from a pre-school assistant? I wonder how many different job titles there are in early years?

Good luck Diane: keep singing your praises, and sooner or later someone will hear you and the right job and setting will answer your call!

Maz

Hi Maz,

In my understanding, at present Playworkers concentrate on older children, usually they are utilised in After-school and Holiday Clubs, certainly the training at present is different. All that will change, of course, in November when the new Standards come in

Sue :D

on the question of job titles, a playworker is someone who cares for children aged up to 11 years usually before and after school. a preschool assistant cares (an trained ) for 0-8 years only, so preschool trained staff would need a playworker certificate to work with the older children.

good luck with the job hunting

• 2 weeks later...

everyone who works at my setting (a private day nursery) is called a "playworker" apart from myself (deputy manager) and the two managers. It includes qualified and unqualified staff. We take children 2-4 but we run a holiday club in the school holidays where we take older children too(mostly siblings) up to 8 years.

I thought I had seen the term playworker used relating to people who work in early years as well as playworker settings.

And I have seen jobs advertised where it states "level 3 in early years or playwork", so I wasn't sure at all about needing a separate qualification to work in after school clubs etc.

I guess what is important is the job we do, not the job title!

Maz

• 2 months later...

Update time, folks!

I have been offered (and have accepted) a leader post with a fairly local community pre-school!

Thanks for helping me to maintain my sanity throughout my journey.

Thanks in advance for all the help I'll need in fulfilling this role.

Diane.

Update time, folks!

I have been offered (and have accepted) a leader post with a fairly local community pre-school!

Diane.

40438[/snapback]

Many, many congratulations! I hope they realise just how lucky they are to have you. I hope you'll be happy in your new role, and look forward to hearing all about it!

Maz

PS Do they want you to do an NVQ at all??!

Thanks for that Maz!

The PS would make me laugh ..... if it wasn't so plausible! But, no, on this occasion, there's no suggestion!

And, gosh, I'm so excited! I can't wait to be a real EY person, to work with a super team, etc., etc. I feel like I've waited a long time, but I'm certainly ready.

Diane.

Thanks Janice and Bubblejack.

Moving on ..... no longer "Resident Moaner" now "Resident Thinker" (LOOK, SUE).

And, gosh, have I got lots to think about. All of it is nice, though! And FSF has lots to answer for!

Diane

The PS would make me laugh ..... if it wasn't so plausible!  But, no, on this occasion, there's no suggestion!

Diane.

40449[/snapback]

I remember, Diane - hence my comment! I'm just glad you've found a team who will respect your experience and your qualifications (and understand that NVQs aren't the be all and end all!).

Good luck again

Maz

Many thanks to you Linda, Susan and Rea.

I'll keep you updated.

Gosh, without this FSF support, where would I be?

Diane

PS Peggy (No way, that's too radical a change :o )

Diane,

That's fantastic news. I'm really looking forward to hearing about your new setting and the lovely things you will be doing with them. What sort of size is it and how many members of staff. All I can say is lucky them for getting you. :D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, and many thanks for your support (without it, I'd not be where I am).

Today was my first day at my new setting. I enjoyed it immensely.

I'm spending this week as an "extra-numerary" (is that right?) just so I have an opportunity to understand the setting's ethos and practices and to get to know a little about the children (+ their families) and the staff.

So far - wonderful!

The outgoing leader had identified and documented plans for themes and activities for this half-term, right up until Christmas. There seems no reason to change these unless the other staff would like to do so. They seem to work so well as a team - and it all seems so much fun for everyone.

Gosh, I know I've got lots to think about from now on. But for this week, I'm up for 100% enjoyment, asking silly questions, and I'm on a major learning curve. I'm jotting down odd notes (some are very odd!).

Next week I'll be asking for all sorts of help, I'm sure!

I'll keep you posted!

Diane