Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Dance Ideas For Lesson Observation

Hello everyone!

New to this so hope this works!! I'm getting observed next Friday doing a 20min-30min dance session with 20 Nursery children was wondering if anyone had done any sessions they feel went really well? Our topics at the moment is Winter.

Also wondering if anyone has any suggestions for good warm ups for Nursery I'm new to Nursery and my TA is obsessed with a certain track on a certain CD and if I hear it again I feel I may snap the CD!! :o

Thank you everyone!

Sian

Hello Sian and welcome to the forum.

I am just wondering why you are doing a 20 minute dance session in nursery for your observation, who has asked you to do this and why? Perhaps you can find some music for children to join in with if they wish such as Winter from Vivaldi's Four Seasons or the Nutcracker Snowflake dance or Sugar Plum fairy, but a formal warm-up and lesson is not appropriate for Nursery aged children, but more for a Y1 class. Can you adapt this in some way to fit in with nursery practice?

Hi,

I used to run pre-school dance classes (not formal style dance though) so I would probably do something like...

Warm-up: Stretch and shake bits of body, then a run-around warm-up game such as Beans or how about musical statues but children have to stop in the winter shape you describe e.g. snowman (arms outstretched to side, tummy forward), icicle (tall shape) and snowball (curl up on floor)

Main part of session: If you can get hold of some white chiffon type material, the children could have some great fun - waving it around and twirling around the room as if snow falling, throwing it as if throwing snowballs... Also they could pretend to build snowmen - maybe one big one together. They could do a skating or skiing type action around the room too.

Other ideas:

"Here we go round the big snowman/Mulberry Bush" - actions could include "This is the way we...throw snowballs, skate on ice, ski down hill..."

Hi everyone!

Janebe they are lovely ideas thank you so much!! Jacquiel the session plan format for it I was given is just like one I used to use in Yr 1 so I think it's a bit formal for Nursery I've been given my instructions by my key stage leader who's observing me. Thinking a little game to warm up and them some movement to a nice wintery piece of music. Thank you to people for their suggestions!! Really appreciate it!

http://www.classicsforkids.com/music/

Hi there

I've used the above site with our nursery, it worked well. They loved the fligt of the bumble bee. (There are seasonal bits on there too)

I use songs with obvious actions as a warm up first (like the one in this link)http://www.mrsjonesroom.com/songs/winter2.html.

Not sure if this is off use, but the best of luck, hope it goes well.

Nicky.

Guest pamgreen

The little book of dance is brilliant and it has an excellent CD and it is linked to the EYFS you can get it from amazon

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)