Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Animal Patterns

Next week we are having an Art and Craft morning when we invite parents to help us. We do this event once a term and we have a different theme each time. Thistime we are doing patterns. I have chosen to create animal patterns with the children, although now I'm looking at what I'm going to do and I'm really not sure!!

Has anyone got any ideas?? It's happening next Wed although if I need anything important I need to order it from ESPO or County Supplies quickly.

I've thought of doing zebra, giraffe, tiger, leopard and cheetah, but not sure how to approach it.

Heeeellllpppp!!!

Dawn

Next week we are having an Art and Craft morning when we invite parents to help us. We do this event once a term and we have a different theme each time. Thistime we are doing patterns. I have chosen to create animal patterns with the children, although now I'm looking at what I'm going to do and I'm really not sure!!

Has anyone got any ideas?? It's happening next Wed although if I need anything important I need to order it from ESPO or County Supplies quickly.

I've thought of doing zebra, giraffe, tiger, leopard and cheetah, but not sure how to approach it.

Heeeellllpppp!!!

Dawn

29720[/snapback]

Hi, we did just this activity on Monday afternoon. (Though only with the children not with any parents!)

We used our wild animal templates to draw some animals: zebra, giraffe, cheetah, elephant and tiger. We used the photocopier to enlarge them onto A3 paper. Our student then cut them out. We used printing techniques to paint them. Striped roller for zebra and tiger. Finger prints for leopard, sponges for giraffe and just paintbrushes for elephants. Some children just used plain rollers. Oh, and the usual child smeared paint all over her hands and paper! (The rollers came originally from s&s services I think).

Good luck and have fun - we did!

:o

How about exploring symmetry and making butterflies.

Bubble prints and marbling give good effects too and may be techniques the parents dont know?

I like string painting too---lay paint covered string in pattern on paper, fold over paper, press down and pull out.

Have you thought of using the book 'My Mum and Dad make me laugh' by Nick Sharatt as an inspiration for your activities. One of them likes spots and the other likes stripes. We used this book before and the children made stripey and spotty collages. We collected every material we could think of (and the children did too from home !)

STRIPES (wool, mark makers, fabric paints, strips of foil, pipe cleaners etc.) SPOTS (spoge circular printers, milk bottle tops, fluffy balls, sticky spots etc)

We then assembled the childrens' patterns into one mega cheetah and one mega zebra. One of the children did an outline for each animal ... they looked a bit freaky but quite effective !

Galleon :o

Elmer is a good starting point - children could use other shapes to make pattern on animals - you could use sponge shapes for printing. or sticky paper shapes.

I like the idea of this Dawn. I am wondering whether it would work in my reception class.

How you organise it with all the parents, do they all come in at the same time, work with their own children etc, and do you get bombarded?

Hope it all goes well, the activities people have suggested sound lovely. :)

Just been to IKEA this eveing. Not sure if you have one near to you but they have a lovely 3 pack of black and white zebra prints for £9.50 showing a complete zebra and other close up stirpey parts. Good for intial input I would think.

Marie

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)