Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hedgehog Activties

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone knew of any nice stories about hedgehogs. We are in the middle of a topic on Autumn but thought I would do a mini topic on animals that hibernate with my full time children.

Any ideas on activities would be most welcome. I thought that we would go for a walk and look for good homes for hedghogs and also look for food that they might eat to fill them up over winter. I then thought that we could make our own homes for hedghogs using boxes and blankets etc.

Any more ideas???xxx

The Prickly Hedgehog is a good story it's the first time the family go out on the hunt for food and one little one gets separated from his family and his little adventures before being reunited, lots of food sticks to the prickles on his back.

Have you got any stuffed toy hedgehogs you could make homes for, or are you making real homes and putting them in the undergrowth?

Hedgehog cakes with chocci buttons as the spines may be fun if you cook with the children.

The Prickly Hedgehog is a good story it's the first time the family go out on the hunt for food and one little one gets separated from his family and his little adventures before being reunited, lots of food sticks to the prickles on his back.

Have you got any stuffed toy hedgehogs you could make homes for, or are you making real homes and putting them in the undergrowth?

Hedgehog cakes with chocci buttons as the spines may be fun if you cook with the children.

Thanks Panders, I thought I would use toy hedgehogs but it would also be nice to make a real shelter. It would be lovely if we had a hedgehog hibernating for the winter.

I like the cake idea, thank you

have you tried here for ideas?

http://www.hedgehogs.org/

they used to be eaten after being rolled in mud and baked in a fire......maybe that's not such a great idea for foundation stage though :o

i've made cream cheese hedgehogs before with raisin eyes/nose and cucumber spikes!

off course stories have to include beatrix Potter!

Hodge the hedgehog by Amy Sparkes and Benji Davies is a lovely story about a hedgehog who has a lovely house in a hedge but won't share it with other animals. Then the other animals go in and tidy and make it nice and cook him dinner one time and Hodge realises how nice it is to share.

My class love it - especially when I can't get my tongue round the Hodge the Hedgehog's hedge house! It rhymes too.

Guest tinkerbell

Clay hedgehogs are fun and easy.Roll a ball of clay,nip a snout and use a pencil to poke 2 eyse and then use a fork to press into the clay to make the spines.

Potato hedgehogs can be made by poking cocktail sticks/old spent matches (these are redundant these days!)into the potato.

If the children stretch their hand out and make a brownpainted hand print,the thumb becomes the snout and the 4 fingers the spines, just paint on eyes.

Tinkerbell

We did quite a lot about hedgehogs in our Nursery class a few years ago.

We noticed that the children were struggling with the sellotape dispenser so we made an oversized hedgehog for the centre of our display. We cut out a silohette of a hedgehog, then encouraged the children to lay matchsticks on the paper and fix with selloptape showing them how to use the dispenser along the way, then we painted it.

Another activity we did was to use cocoa powder to colour the playdough brown (smells yummy too!). We hed a large dice with spots on to 3 and some matchsticks. The children took it turns to roll the dice and add the appropriate amount of matchsticks.

We also used 3 sized hedgehogs (teddies) in different sized boxes and a collection of leaves and got the children to sort them out into big, medium and small to help them hibernate.

What about making your own hedgehogs out of saltdough or clay and then when they are dry put them in a box to hibernate for winter. Place in a prominent place in your setting with a sign saying "Shh... We are hibernating for winter, please wake up in the spring." You can then bring them back out in the spring (they can then take then take them home).

Hopes this helps.

"Ouch!" is a lovely hedgehog story, he wants to hiberbate for the winter but gets all sorts of stuff stuck to his spines and he can't fit in!! The story repeats itself adding the new item stuck to the hedgehog each time. My class love joining in with it and seeing of they can remember all the items in the correct order.

We also made hedgehogs from bread dough and then baked them - they took them home to eat. Both parents and the children loved this.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)