Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn Display

I was hoping you great people would have some ideas what I can do. We have 2 weeks to produce an autumn display on the corridor the only problem is we do a gradual start so it need something we can make very easily and quickly.

Thanks

Hi Vicki, not sure what age you are working with but how about leaf printing, welly footprints, handprints, all with autumn hues of colour look great, collage materials, including real leafs, conkers, with different textures to form leaves, harvesting vegetables, fruits etc with naming cards,books on harvest.

Looking at harvesting machinery,fields,fruit and vegetable stall with number symbols,also looking at your 5 a day.Are you able to have a table in front of your display board and have real fruits and vegetables for the children to smell and feel.

Can i ask why does it have to be in place within two weeks ? are you not able to make it a learning wall and build it up as the term and children take it.

Hope this may help get your ideas flowing good luck.

What about going down the harvest route as it isn't Autumn until the end of the month and trees and leaves will only really be very orange/brown October time, so hard to print and look at their colours. There are lots of berries around now and of course farmers are harvesting their corn. You could make colours from berries and print with them, make jam, print with fruit and vegetables, and link them all into snack time and healthy eating. Perhaps you could make a scarecrow and do the Dingle Dangle Scarecrow using some corn stalks.

Perhaps you could get some orange or red material to drape over the board? I've done this in my classroom and it looks fab, I've stuck leaves with key autumn words onto the fabric and also hung them from the ceiling so it's like a display of falling leaves, but perhaps you could do something like this with leaf prints or collages of leaves instead.

Can i ask why does it have to be in place within two weeks ? are you not able to make it a learning wall and build it up as the term and children take it.

Hope this may help get your ideas flowing good luck.

The powers that be in schools tend to like corridor displays to be up and looking fabulous pretty early on in the term since this is the first part of the schools visitors see. It's been like that in every school I've been in. I'm assuming it's the same for you Vicki? It's such a pain, particularly when your head decides the theme is maths problem solving and you have barely got started on finding out where the children are up to let alone getting them to do enough whole class problem solving to make a display.

Hi Vicki

As always, some great ideas from the forum. Just remember that you should be creating display from the work that the children have produced rather than giving the children an activity that will produce display.

I am supporting a setting at the moment and have really focussed on making the backing of the displays VERY neutral and letting the colour come from the children’s work.

see more here

You want your display to be gorgeous, and relevant and a learning experience for your children so, what I would do is use some plain calico fabric and dip or tie dye it with seasonal vegetables. You would then be building in your Autumn theme and colours.

You could track/photograph the process and create a learning log book to display at the side of the board so that anyone who came along could clearly see that you were really engaging your children in their learning process.

Hope this helps

Alistair

ABCdoes.com

I love the photographic record idea. I always added photos on those displays for parents etc. to show how the children were involved in them, and added captions describing what we had done or why. I think in schools there is too much pressure on the product and looking good, rather than displays being meaningful but schools like to create a good instant impression, especialy in communal areas. It isn't always possible to change that ethos with colleagues or HT's though especially if you aren't on SMT!

It has to be up in 2 weeks so the corridors look lovely just in case we have a visit from ofsted, we are overdue. Thanks for all the great ideas Im going to try some with the nursery children tomorrow.

How do you do dying with vegatables. Sorry if Im being a bit thick!

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)