• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Andreamay

Andreamay

Forum Gardener

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 01:54 PM

Can anyone help me? I am attempting to put my portfolio evidence file together and am a little confused :o
If i have covered a standard (or more) in a written task am I to use this in my evidence for my file.? for example i have written about a key person system i implemented in task 3 so can i make ref to it in my portfolio? I have jsut written 'also covered in task 3' but wondered if that was enough? Or am I better finding 3 or 4 different evidence to back it up? Also how many pieces of evidence is it a standard for each uni?
many thanks
Andrea

Edited by Andreamay, 09 August 2010 - 01:56 PM.

#2 ockyalice

ockyalice

New user

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:18 PM

Can anyone help me? I am attempting to put my portfolio evidence file together and am a little confused :o
If i have covered a standard (or more) in a written task am I to use this in my evidence for my file.? for example i have written about a key person system i implemented in task 3 so can i make ref to it in my portfolio? I have jsut written 'also covered in task 3' but wondered if that was enough? Or am I better finding 3 or 4 different evidence to back it up? Also how many pieces of evidence is it a standard for each uni?
many thanks
Andrea

Hi Andrea. I'm in exactly the same position. There is very little in the Guidance to advise students on this! I have found myself gathering loads of documentation but wondering now how to organise it all. Some of it is policy files and learning stories which clearly won't all fit in to my evidence file. As I understand, we can use a piece of evidence (but no more than two) for each standard.
Regards
Octavia

#3 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

Fully paid up member of the awkward squad!

• Moderator and FSF Saint
  • 12,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:55 PM

Hello ladies

I am assuming that you mean the documentary evidence folder that will form part of your final assessment.

Firstly, the guidance says you should have no more than two pieces of paper for each standard, and that your evidence should fit into a slim A4 ring binder (4cm I think but I haven't checked). One piece of paper may cover more than one standard however, so you can annotate each pirece of paper with the relevant standards.

As for using evidence from your task, it may be that in your written task you refer to a document (perhaps an IEP form that you've designed or a questionnaire you devised). If you would like to, you can put this in your evidence folder, and lots of candidates do. If you do this, you could say in your written task that you have included a copy of it in your folder.

However it isn't compulsory and you may well decide that you have better pieces of evidence that show how your practice meets that particular standard.

Hope that helps.

Maz

#4 Andreamay

Andreamay

Forum Gardener

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:27 PM

thank you all so much xx
the problem is that w ehave been told that we must not cross ref a document in another standard but photocopy it and reuse it in another to stop assessors havign to keep going back over our file!!
two sounds great but i got a feeling its up to 4 do u think it is different for each provider I am with Edgehill!!
will try and find out
I know we have to organsie it so it is Standard 1 for example will have documents 1a,1b etc and Standard 2 is 2a,2b and not Document 1 that covers Standard 1,6 and 14 for example
Andrea

#5 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,487 posts

Posted 09 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Right. I've got my copy of the "Handbooks for Candidates - September 2009".

Have a look on page 23 where it starts to detail what you can/need to do.

It says that your provider will guide you on the amount and range of documentary evidence to provide - so if your provider has told you a maximum of four pieces per standard, then go with that. The only specification is that it should be an A4 ring binder, with a maximum spine width of 4cm.

It also says that each document should have a reference number, which is especially important when you use the same document as evidence for more than one standard. So photocopying pieces of evidence for every standard it covers must be an individual requirement of your provider.

It is all there in the handbook for candidates to read, which is very helpful in the wee small hours! :o

When is your assessment day, Andreamay?

Maz

#6 nitapet

nitapet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:24 PM

Hi,
I finished my EYP in July. Our provider didn't give much guidance on the quantity of documents for each standard only to say that there shouldn't be too many overall and they said to cross reference them. But they were really vague about wether to include documents to support the written tasks.

When I sent my document list to my assessor she came back to me saying that she thought there might be too many for her to read in the time she had and suggested I trim them down or prioritise them in some way. So I trimmed down my documents, keeping the really good ones, the ones that covered several standards and the ones that supported my tasks. Then I colour coded them, green for those related to my written tasks and yellow for the most important and relevant documents. I sent it back to my assessor asking that if she wanted evidence to support my tasks she look at the green documents but if she wanted alternative evidence for any standard she look at the yellow coded docs and then if she needed any further evidence to look at the other non coded docs. That way I felt she could choose if she wanted to see something to support my tasks or something different and find those docs without having to rifle through the whole file.

During my setting visit my assessor thanked me for doing this and said it made her life much easier. Mind you I am only sharing my experience I am not necessarily suggesting follow this as your provider/assessor might have a different view and I don't know if I passed yet :o !!!

I think you should follow whatever your provider says as they know your assessors and know what works or doesn't work with them.

Good luck.

#7 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,487 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

When I sent my document list to my assessor she came back to me saying that she thought there might be too many for her to read in the time she had and suggested I trim them down or prioritise them in some way.

This raises so many issues, nitapet. As an assessor I would never do this - imagine if a candidate got a shortfall and one of the pieces of evidence trimmed might have provided the last bit of the jigsaw to enable the candidate to meet that particular standard?

As a candidate if I had been advised by my assessor to cut out some documents and then I'd got a shortfall in a standard and I knew that some of the evidence I'd removed from my documents might have addressed the shortfall I'd feel justified in complaining to my provider.

Has anyone else had a recommendation from their assessor to do something this?

I'm sure none of this will apply to you though nitapet - good luck with your results!

Maz

#8 nitapet

nitapet

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 10:06 PM

Hi Maz,
To be fair I did have MASSES of stuff and she couldn't have read it all anyway. Her suggestion made me go back and look at what I needed to include and what I really didn't. But yes I would be fairly miffed if I got a shortfall after that.

We were told they would stop reading after 75 minutes (or whatever it was). So could you end up with a shortfall if you included so much stuff that an assessor couldn't wade through it all to get to the most relevant bits for each standard even if it was all included somewhere?

Bit of a dilema really :o .

Still whats done is done, I am trying not to think about it too much, just crossing my fingers until the results are due in September.

nitapet

#9 m1charly

m1charly

Feet firmly under the table!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 04:23 PM

Hi All,

I am in the early stages of my EYPS and just reading up gaining information on how I go about gaining and presenting evidence pof all the standards in my folder. ? I know there are witness testimonies which add to this. Have you any other ways/ideas?

I can also see how one piece of evidence can fit into several standards, would you advise trying to find a different piece of evidence over duplicating the same?

It would be interesting to hear how you did yours nitapet? And congratulations!! (I'm just seeing the workload involved now! I've been on here several hours gaining inspiration of things to do in my nursery setting, but it is a FANTASTIC forum!!).

Charly
Charly x

#10 lolo

lolo

Forum Inhabitant!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

I achieved EYPS this summer.

I would advise people to check the advice with their provider as there seems to be differences from place to place.

What I did early on was to
a) make a grid with each standard number and then which documents I had to prove it

:o go through files and make a heap of useful info. I didn't use all of it, and I added more, but I had a beginning and it helped me get used to working with the standards.

#11 m1charly

m1charly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:27 PM

I like the idea of making a grid for the standards and noting documents to prove it (very clever :lol: ) - i'll give it a try.

Thanks lolo :o
Charly x

#12 m1charly

m1charly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 07:38 PM

Hi :o ,

I have another little question about the documentary folder to pick your brains at.

I believe from my tutor that the types of evidence I can use for this include: room plans, minutes from meetings, observations, witness testimonies, any notes from parents and photographs. Are there any other forms of evidence I can use?

Also, am I allowed to use written accounts from myself? If so, how long and how much detail?

:lol:

Edited by m1charly, 08 September 2010 - 07:40 PM.

Charly x

#13 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,487 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 09:49 PM

Also, am I allowed to use written accounts from myself? If so, how long and how much detail?

Basically you can put in anything that provides evidence of how your practice meets the standards. I included reflective diary entries in my folder, I can't remember off hand how long they were, but do bear in mind the amount of time your assessor will have to look at them.

Maz

#14 m1charly

m1charly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thank you. Just as I build up my folder I may do some, then changr/update as I feel b=necessary. An account also helps remind me of my ideas which I'll build on hopefully.

Thank you :o
Charly x

#15 m1charly

m1charly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:06 PM

Thank you. Just as I build up my folder I may do some, then changr/update as I feel b=necessary. An account also helps remind me of my ideas which I'll build on hopefully.

Thank you :o

Charly x

#16 m1charly

m1charly

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 07:08 PM

Sorry for the duplicate... not sure how i did it.
Charly x

#17 line

line

Settling in nicely!

• PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 06:09 PM

I'm also in the early stages of the 6 month pathway and feel alternately highly motivated and excited, then panicked by how much I need to 'prove'! This thread is very useful.

Our provider actually gave us a grid in which to show where we have provided evidence for each standard in the tasks and file. The suggestion is that you put a P next to anything which relates to your practice and L next to anything which shows leadership of others.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users