Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Return Of The Milk Snatcher?

HappyMaz

Hi presently all children under 5 are entitled to a 1/3 of a pint of milk per day free. I do know of other schools where they simply do not claim and the children miss out.

What is unfair is that children aged 4 at school get the free fruit, but pre-schools cannot claim.

:o

We used to claim back the money for milk, and did have to sent reciepts with the form - I guess different areas do it differently. Now we do Cool Milk, and keep adjusting it to get it to the stage where we have little wastage - last term we only had milk left over on the days when quite a few children were out.

We're in a deprived area and for some of our children the only time they are getting healthy food seems to be with us - I don't think that wotsits and fanta are appropriate breakfast for a 2 year old.

With regards to children wasting food, do you you open snack bar, when children come and get what they want when they want, or formal group snack time when the children all sit together and have to have something?

I see more wastage when we do group snack for birthdays and the children take handfuls of snack/cupfuls of milk and just want to sit and chat with their friends or run off as soon as most have finished. Whereas when we have the snack bar (most sessions) and the children come when they want and can stay as long as they want, tehy're better at eating.

With regards to children wasting food, do you you open snack bar, when children come and get what they want when they want, or formal group snack time when the children all sit together and have to have something?

Because I'm in a year one class we have to all sit down together to eat our snack (for a start there's no room for a snack bar and I know it wouldn't go down well with the management). However I would never insist that children have to have something. If they don't want it then I teach them that they shouldn't be taking it and we all stay put until everyone has finished whether they have something or not, although the fact that they are older children does mean they don't take as long to eat/drink and are able to sit for the ten or so minutes it takes everyone to finish quite happily.

We mainly operate a snack bar system but because of the waste have tried sitting down together to see if this helped ... it didn't!

We are also in an area of social/economic deprivation which somehow makes the whole idea of waste worse.

What is unfair is that children aged 4 at school get the free fruit, but pre-schools cannot claim.

:o

I agree. We are a pre-school in the grounds of a primary school. We have a great relationship with the school and they have always shared their free fruit with us. However this will stop in September and the Head told us that in future they have to account for every piece of fruit they get and sadly they won't have enough to share with us. Belt tightening indeed!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)