Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Under The Sea Play Ideas

Hi all,

I teach Rec/Y1 and am being observed by my Head and EY advisor on Monday. This is for Literacy and our theme is Under the Sea. Thanks to some great ideas from here I am sorted for my group activities (we are going to be writing poems and related activities). I have got various resources set up for CI play, including a role play submarine, small world sea creatures in the water tray, shells in the sand tray etc. Just wondered if anyone had any good ideas for any other areas such as sand, play dough, creative area, writing area, construction area.

Thanks,

Kathryn

could you make salt dough, rather than playdough, and have children make under sea creatures like starfish, crabs, fishes, anemones etc and then paint and varnish them and make an under-sea-scape

We made sand dough years ago and baked it in the oven - very different teture!

Could you have some seaside postcards on your writing table? Have you seen "Dear Greenpeace" about the little girl who finds a blue whale in her garden pond and writes to Greenpeace for advice about what to do? I love that book!

Maz

We made sand dough years ago and baked it in the oven - very different teture!

Could you have some seaside postcards on your writing table? Have you seen "Dear Greenpeace" about the little girl who finds a blue whale in her garden pond and writes to Greenpeace for advice about what to do? I love that book!

Maz

I haven't seen that book, it sounds lovely though. Do you have a recipe for sand dough, I really like that idea. Thanks!

Do you have a recipe for sand dough, I really like that idea. Thanks!

I think it came from a Sally Featherstone "Little Book". However I found a recipe online here.

Here's a link to Amazon for Dear Greenpeace where you can 'look inside'.

Maz

Will you have adult supervision in the creative area? If you will you could do bubble painting. Maybe using outlines of octopi (is that how you spell it?!) fish etc. If not what about different shades of blue, green and clear celophane cut into small pieces to stick and make watery pics :o

Maybe using outlines of octopi (is that how you spell it?!) fish etc.

Talking of fish - remember Peggy's great pictures of painting with fish? They'll be in the gallery somewhere I'm sure!

Maz

Make some clear gelatine in tubs and provide a range of food colouring in bottles with droppers (they cost about 50p from the chemist.) When the colours merge they make fascinating 'watery' patterns.

Sea creatures in jelly

Shell rubbings

Shell casts in the sand dough...

Hope your observation goes well. I'm sure it will.

luluj

Didn't someone make a suggestion a year or so ago about looking at real, dead fish and cutting them up to explore their insides etc. I seem to remember it was quite a discussion!

HAve you got a computer in your classroom that the chidlren can access? We're doing under the sea at the moment and we've used the Early Learning Centre's Kid Zone website as they have a selection of under the sea activities.

http://www.elc.co.uk/kids/underthesea.php

We're also doing pictures on sandpaper using pastels - gives the children a different texture to draw and write on. Other than that a lot of what we're doing has already been mentioned!

Hope the observation goes well :o

One of my boys suggested writing a message in a bottle yesterday, so we had a slection on bottles, paper & pens etc.... & filled the water tray.....

Although it not under the sea as such have you ever made the colour sand bottles? You rub chalk over salt & pop in into a bottle?

Hope you have fun. Nicky.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)