Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Measuring Progress In Eyfs

Expecting Ofsted any day. Need help with measuring progress. Is there a quantifiable way of measuring whether Nursery children have made fair, good, very good progress? Is it if they move from one age band to another, or two age bands?? If Ofsted say to me what progress haver they made-how much, I want to be secure.

In reception, am presuming if they come in at 2 points and leave with any thing over 6 that is good progress....is it? If leave with 8 0r 9 very good progress??? Below 6 below expectations? What about if they come in at 1 and leave at 5. Same differential as coming in at 2 and leaving at 6. So even though below 6, still expected level of progress???

Help please clever important people! xx

our advisor has told us that "good" progress in OFSTED terms is that children have moved 2 bands. Satisfactory is that they have moved up 1 band and outstadning is that they have done more than 3 bands.

I personally don't believe that young children's development can be assigned to moving through bands like this, but OFSTED seem to like it- very school based apporach I would say. Good luck with them when they come.

our advisor has told us that "good" progress in OFSTED terms is that children have moved 2 bands. Satisfactory is that they have moved up 1 band and outstadning is that they have done more than 3 bands.

I personally don't believe that young children's development can be assigned to moving through bands like this, but OFSTED seem to like it- very school based apporach I would say. Good luck with them when they come.

Argggggggggggh that is so wrong! So if they are in the 'correct' development age band that is not good enough? I personally want to see that my children are progressing happily as they should be into the development band for their age. The expectation to be 'outstanding' in development for children of this age is a ridiculous pressure on children under 5.

And what if they arrive in Nursery already in the 40-60 month age band? They still have their time in Nursery, then 3 terms in Reception, but cannot move up any more bands?

I find the age bands are so wide that a child may well remain in the same band for their whole time in Nursery, but this does not mean that they are not progressing. Yes, we can refer to the child's individal records to show progress, but how do we collate this as data for a whole class or group of children?

I started recording whether children were emerging, developing or secure within an age band so that I could record and show progress, but the system has become so complicated and time-consuming that it is not practical. (There are 28 aspects within 6 curriculum areas in development matters.)

There is also the problem of how to transfer the data to our Reception colleagues, because they track through profile points, not through Development Matters stages. The Reception profile does not have 28 aspects (only 13 I think), so how is the information transferred? Also, there are statistics available to enable Reception teachers to know what "average" progress is in terms of profile points. As far as I know, there is no average progress measure for Nursery.

I am becoming really frustrated with how to track progress in Nursery, and am really looking for some answers.

Progress is relative to starting points - attainment relevant to national expectations.

You could have children coming in below nat ex to nursery at say 22 - 36, but leaving within the ELGs say 6. The progress would be more than satisfactory because of the distance travelled in that time. The attainment would be at national. It's not all about attainment but has to take into account achievement too. That's why on entry judgements are so important. High outcomes do not necessarily reflect good or better judgements if the starting point is high.

Also they are taking into account the children at risk of underachievement - if all your groups (gender/EAL/SEN/EMA etc etc) make equal progress then this can impact on higher Ofsted judgements because you are raising attainment for all children including those at a lower starting point.

Cx

I know Jackie, I have the same problem.

My nursery class enter as rising fours and most are just beginning to work at 30-50, so they appear to enter at nationally expected levels. In their 2nd term individually they have progressed within 30-50 but not beyond; so now collectively they have made no progress and they are working below nat ex!

I just hope that if anyone asks I will be given the chance to show their learning journals where they can see they are making progress.

Thank you Catma., that made sense. On order to show different levels of progress in Nursery withing the wide age bands in DMs, as Nursery teacher I suppose I must try to implement yet another tracking scheme of emeging, developing and secure in age band so I can demonstrate to the big O and others.

As a FS as a whoie it is easier to demonstrate average, good, better progress as we have the Nursery on entry age and stage and the final FSP score .

Confused by idea of good progress being moving up 2 age bands in Nursery as that is impossible isn't it??? Unless entry is below av at 22-36 months.

For me if child enters at beginning of 30-50 months and leaves Nursery working within 40-60 months quite securely, then isn't that good progress or is it average progress? AAAAAARRRRGGGH!

Thank you Catma., that made sense. On order to show different levels of progress in Nursery withing the wide age bands in DMs, as Nursery teacher I suppose I must try to implement yet another tracking scheme of emeging, developing and secure in age band so I can demonstrate to the big O and others.

As a FS as a whoie it is easier to demonstrate average, good, better progress as we have the Nursery on entry age and stage and the final FSP score .

Confused by idea of good progress being moving up 2 age bands in Nursery as that is impossible isn't it??? Unless entry is below av at 22-36 months.

For me if child enters at beginning of 30-50 months and leaves Nursery working within 40-60 months quite securely, then isn't that good progress or is it average progress? AAAAAARRRRGGGH!

I've not heard about nursery progress expectation of moving up two age bands but I know a number of reception teachers who have been told their children need to make two ELGs (in each area) progress each term. :o so SIX ELGs progress per year for Sept starters.

Feel more secure now. Right. This is how it goes.

secure in 22-36 months on entry to Nursery=average

not secure 22-36 months on entry nursey=below expected levels

Children in nursery will leave either in 30-50 or 40-60

If starting at 30-50 and leaving 30-50=poor to fair progress

If starting 30-50 and leaving 40-60=good to very good depending on my judgement and evidence

Starting Nursery at 30-50 and leaving Reception with 6 points=expected levels of prgress and attainment

Starting Nursery 30-50 and leaving with more than 6 points=good to very good progress and attainment depending on whether 7,8,9 points.

Starting Nursery 22-36 months and leaving 6 points=expected levels of attainment but with very good progress

Starting Nursery at 22-36 months and leaving wotrh less thasn 6 points=below expected levels attainment but might be good prgress for tthat child.

Does this sound OK anybody?

Well, you wouldn't believe the knots I'm in!!! Visions of me tied up in a cupboard with Mr O shining a light in my face interrogationg me about data till I explode with confusion!!!! As long as what I said in my last post sounds OK I feel I can then look at my data with that in mind and try to understand it. Feel isolated and inexperienced in data analysis but also know I'm the one in the firing line. Thanks for the post Catma. x

:o Mr O shining a torch in your face is quite amusing, hope you are feeling better. I think what you have written makes sense in terms of how to look at what your data is telling you x