Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Sounds Write

Guest woodentop

Guest woodentop

hi I have been offered sounds write training for my phonics lessons, we are using letters and sounds at the moment - i would be interested to see what you think :o

Key Stage 2 in our school use Sounds Write, in Key Stage 1 we're using Letters and Sounds. I think Sounds Write is very clearly set out - the support staff in KS2 seem to like it, though I don't know enough about it to comment. The use it as a sort of booster programme for the children who aren't in line with other class members.

Guest LornaW

Letters and Sounds for me every time. It is free it has the pace and once you get time to read the documnet everything you need is there.

SoundsWrite is very expensive and I think it was designed for children wh =o were experiencing difficulties. It is not as pacey as L&S and not as much fun!

Lorna

Guest woodentop
Letters and Sounds for me every time. It is free it has the pace and once you get time to read the documnet everything you need is there.

SoundsWrite is very expensive and I think it was designed for children wh =o were experiencing difficulties. It is not as pacey as L&S and not as much fun!

Lorna

I have been using letters and sounds with my year 2's but my head seems to think that sounds write has a very good report and wants me to find out what I think

Guest LornaW
I have been using letters and sounds with my year 2's but my head seems to think that sounds write has a very good report and wants me to find out what I think

What LA are you in woodentop?

Certainly in my LA we are promoting L&S and those schools taking it on board are really seeing a huge difference with their children and their writing by the end of Y1! Also it is FREE.

Lorna

Guest woodentop

We have decided to stick with letters and sounds- mainly because of the cost- time to train and expense of new reading scheme - thanks for your replies though :o

• 2 weeks later...
hi I have been offered sounds write training for my phonics lessons, we are using letters and sounds at the moment - i would be interested to see what you think :o

I did the sounds-write training in 2006. I was a Foundation Stage teacher at the time and very against the idea. However, I am a convert! I love the whiole idea. You can use the methodology with the letters and sounds content. However, the LA I was with at the time said we should all use the same thing from FS to Y6 to avoid confusing the children.

The other plus is your own professional development. It's a five day course, with an exam at the end. YOU are then qualified in it. YOU get the folder and it's YOURS. Initially it's rather labour intensive to make the resources you need, but once you have a bank of stuff it becomes really easy to use. I stored my resources in a "carry-all" box and just whipped the box out when I needed it. That said I used it in small groups and used the methodology and ways of doing things in whole class text work, but never did the activities with the whole class.

Hope this helps.

Guest woodentop
I did the sounds-write training in 2006. I was a Foundation Stage teacher at the time and very against the idea. However, I am a convert! I love the whiole idea. You can use the methodology with the letters and sounds content. However, the LA I was with at the time said we should all use the same thing from FS to Y6 to avoid confusing the children.

The other plus is your own professional development. It's a five day course, with an exam at the end. YOU are then qualified in it. YOU get the folder and it's YOURS. Initially it's rather labour intensive to make the resources you need, but once you have a bank of stuff it becomes really easy to use. I stored my resources in a "carry-all" box and just whipped the box out when I needed it. That said I used it in small groups and used the methodology and ways of doing things in whole class text work, but never did the activities with the whole class.

Hope this helps.

oh you have made me think now. You have made it sound good. What sort of exam was it though I don't like the sounds of that - what did it entail x

oh you have made me think now. You have made it sound good. What sort of exam was it though I don't like the sounds of that - what did it entail x

I know, it sounds hard and scary but it's not. We were all scared to death and would not believe our colleagues who'd done the previous sessions, but it is fine, honestly! You can keep your file (that they give you) and all your notes with you and are encouraged and expected to use them to answer the questions (no one is expected to remember everything). After each day you have a little exercise to do (homework) which you discuss at the beginning of the next day. These are basically practice for the exam so you get corrected (if needed) all the way along. Then the tutor walks round and if you get stuck he/she will guide you. They have a very high pass rate because of the way the course is structured.

Go for it. The training is good and if nothing else it'll give you some CPD and a chance to reflect on your own practice, discuss with other teachers/TAs etc and it is fun (some of it is taking turns to be pupils and the teacher and that's always a right good laugh!)

As I said, I was very sceptical, but am so glad I did it and if I was teaching phase 2 phonics upwards I would use the techniques if not the whole "structure", for sure. The other thing to recommend it is my children LOVED it. I had "well below the national average" children entering Foundation and used it from phase 2 with all the Reception except the SEN group and the highest achieving Nursery group. For the children it was a real highlight (I did a lot of it during lunch time to get a quiet space inside) and you know when your most "outdoory children" want to come in and do it, there must be something to it (and I know I am wonderful but it wasn't just love of me that drove them inside!!!) :o I also used the techniques for all our shared writing (and we did some shared writing every day for our calendar plus as part of shared text work) and the response was always good and our results in LSL really improved.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread but it popped up on google.

Last year I did the Sounds-Write training and as a result my school has adopted the programme and are in the process of training all staff and are hosting the training next month (open to other schools booking through the S-W site).

For anyone interested this is the recent Ofsted report on the training http://www.sounds-wr...te Feb 2013.pdf

General comments:

This is outstandingly thorough training. Those participating are given a full grounding in all aspects of phonic knowledge, including the alphabetic code and the processes of blending and segmenting. To this is added a detailed and conscientious introduction to the rigorous and systematic ‘Sounds-Write' programme, covering both theoretical background and effective implementation. All this is backed up by an invaluable handbook and is presented with all the skill and expertise that comes from extensive, effective experience of both teaching and training.

The training visited fully met all of the agreed criteria.

We are finding the programme very effective

Edited by Marion

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)