Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Actions For Phase 3 Letters And Sounds

ow (as in 'now') is the sewing one - pretend you are sewing, prick your finger with the needle and say "ow!"

ure (pronounced 'or' in words like 'sure', or 'your' in words like 'cure') isn't done in jolly phonics I don't think so there is no action for it - as far as I know. Some sounds I have adapted actions for as the children seem to remember them better when the actions are more meaningful to them - so you could always make some up. We did this for 'ear' (point to the ear - how original!) and 'air' (use arms to show the air around us - chn thought of this one). However, I don't bother with an action for 'ure' - I have to say that I teach it cos it says I should but we don't spend long on it - the children don't really seem to 'get it' and to be honest they don't really use words with the sound in so it doesn't get reinforced in the same way the 'oa', 'igh' or 'oi' sounds would, for example. Maybe the wrong thing to do but.....!

ow (as in 'now') is the sewing one - pretend you are sewing, prick your finger with the needle and say "ow!"

ure (pronounced 'or' in words like 'sure', or 'your' in words like 'cure') isn't done in jolly phonics I don't think so there is no action for it - as far as I know. Some sounds I have adapted actions for as the children seem to remember them better when the actions are more meaningful to them - so you could always make some up. We did this for 'ear' (point to the ear - how original!) and 'air' (use arms to show the air around us - chn thought of this one). However, I don't bother with an action for 'ure' - I have to say that I teach it cos it says I should but we don't spend long on it - the children don't really seem to 'get it' and to be honest they don't really use words with the sound in so it doesn't get reinforced in the same way the 'oa', 'igh' or 'oi' sounds would, for example. Maybe the wrong thing to do but.....!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who skates over 'ure'. I pronounce it 'your', but because of local accents the children pronounce it differently, although that isn't really why they don't seem to 'get it' because they pronounce a lot of sounds differently to me and don't have any trouble with the others. I think 'ure' is such a rare sound that the children don't use it enough to really become familiar with it.

I agree! I am also in the skating over ure camp! I also don't really understand why ur is listed in the phase 3 graphemes, as it makes the same sound as er... Errrr!

Agree totally with your comments..the other day our best writer wrote rivur when she was writing about 3 billy goats gruff and didn't feel i could correct her as it is so confusing when u r only 5 and she had remebered sound from last weeks phonics session!...we used a mixing action like in mixture which they seemed to like but will be teaching er after half term..a bit confusing even for me! Will explain the difference but not sure the kids will get it all?

Anyhow generally am loving teaching letters and sounds and kids are making very quick progress

Redbase :o

Ha ha so glad others 'skate over' 'ure'!! Was worried it might just be me...!

I teach 'er' as having the same action as 'ur' - as in, it makes the same sound, just using different letters. I actually have taught it this year at the same time as 'ur' and the children have latched on to both variations really well. I also give them a general rule, that 'er' is usually at the end of a word, whereas 'ur' is often found in the middle of a word - I do point out that this isn't always the case, but when they are writing words containing an ur/er sound, they often say "the ur is at the end so it is 'er' ".

Having said that, not sure how my weaker groups will do with er/ur at the same time when they get that far....!!

Totally agree with 'ure' I have to check with our Y1 and Y2 teachers each year how to pronounce it, as I know I have quite a strong local for some sounds. Also struggle to find words that contain the 'ure' sound which they can manage with sounds they've already done - treasure is the one which seems most accessible for them as we play the treasure chest game and have done bits on pirates ... but of course to spell it children would write tresure as 'ea' as an 'e' sound is in Phase 5 I think. We normally end up with sure, pure (which they don't really use) and manure - which at least gets a uuughhhhh! when I explain what it is. Talked to our Y1 teacer about this a couple of weeks ago and said I was considering missing it out and let her do it at some point - but might just do what the rest of you seem to be doing and just introduce it, but move on - this is the one that even the best seem to struggle with - plus the confusion of ur and er.

So pleased to find this thread. I was in the middle of my phonics lesson and trying to introduce new sound 'ure' and suddenly wasn't sure how to pronounce it! Still not too sure but feel that as there are so few words with it in compared to the others it is not so important. But relieved to hear I'm not the only one. x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)