Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Job Interview Help Please!

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place to put this topic!!

I have an interview in 3 weeks time for a learning development manager in a children's centre. It is my dream job and I really really want to be successful! I am currently a Foundation Stage coordinator in a primary school so this would be a big change.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what questions I may be asked or any reading I can do over half term to study for my interview??

Thanks in advance!!

Hi there sian44

Welcome to the Forum - I can't help with your query I'm afraid but I've moved your post into the Children's Centre forum in the hope that people who are currently working in a CC will be able to help you.

Good look with your application!

Maz

Hi Sian,

Have you got a job description that you could upload here? We might then be able to give you some suggestions. The trouble with CC jobs is that they are called all sorts of things in different authorities, and I'm not sure what this role involves. :o It sounds like it could be an EYPS role? Or working with parents and carers to support learning at home? Or working with outside agencies to support children with additional needs? Or something else entirely!

Hi Sian, I would agree with Helen, that its a good place to start with the job description. I wonder if the role is like Children Centre teacher under another name?

A good place to start is to find out how CC work in your LA, and if you can get to visit both the centre advertising the job and maybe another with a person in post doing the job, it would give you some ideas.

If you read through the various threads here you will see that the variety of roles people have in CCs varies hugely. The size shape, and services vary hugely too, as does the management structure.

You might like to have a look at the together for children site. There is loads of information there

Hi everyone, not sure if this is the right place to put this topic!!

I have an interview in 3 weeks time for a learning development manager in a children's centre. It is my dream job and I really really want to be successful! I am currently a Foundation Stage coordinator in a primary school so this would be a big change.

I'm just wondering if anyone has any ideas about what questions I may be asked or any reading I can do over half term to study for my interview??

Thanks in advance!!

Hi Sian

Just seen your post, again as everyone else has mentioned everywhere is different, I am our Play Learning and Development Co-ordinator and support a team of workers across five childrens centres footprints, we do not run full day care or sessional sessions however we do run a lot of creches for short term courses, play and stay, as well as numerous other activities, if your job profile and person spec, is geared around these areas then I can give you a few pointers from questions that I was asked when I took up my post over a year ago.

Give us a shout if this is something I might be able to help with

Kind regards

Gerry G :o

Thank you so much for your replies!

Gerry, this sounds very much like the children's centre I have applied for. They run all sorts of activities such as stay and play, adult learning courses etc. There are also 2 centres which are very close by so I think it involves advising practitioners in those settings too.

Any pointers you could give me would be great, thank you!

Sian

• 2 weeks later...
Thank you so much for your replies!

Gerry, this sounds very much like the children's centre I have applied for. They run all sorts of activities such as stay and play, adult learning courses etc. There are also 2 centres which are very close by so I think it involves advising practitioners in those settings too.

Any pointers you could give me would be great, thank you!

Sian

Hi Sian

Sorry for not replying earlier, as I have been away for the half term, anyway, a few pointers, some questions you may be asked, dependant on the post you are going for

Can you tell us about your background and experience in childcare?

What are your particular strengths in relation to working with children?

What particular aspects of the work do you really enjoy/dislike?

In your opinion what skills and abilities make a good early years and childcare worker?

How would you ensure that you meet all the individual needs of the children in your care?

What can you tell us about the Early Years Foundation Stage?

What activities would you do with babies, toddlers, pre-school children?

Explain your understanding of the term equal opportunities and diversity?

Do you have experience of working with children with additional needs? What must you consider?

What action would you take if a child protection issue arose?

What does the term confidentiality mean to you?

How would you ensure that you work in partnership with parents/carers?

How would you involve a parent in a child’s development?

If a fellow member of staff in your opinion was not fulfilling their duties and was causing an issue with the work load at the setting – what would you do?

How would you ensure that you keep up to date with early years developments?

What qualities are important for good teamwork? What are your strengths within a team?

How would you ensure that Health and Safety Standards are maintained in the setting?

What do you feel you could bring to the role in special interests and skills?

What further training have you undertaken to help you in your present role?

What additional training may you require for this post?

Hope these help

GerryG

Hi Sian and welcome!

I'm a learning development manager in a Children's Centre - this is the first time I've come across another one. In my Centre, that is the name for the QTS on the team and I also hold EYPS.

Lots of great hints and tips above - I would also add that if it is a managerial role, you may we ll be asked some quesyions relating to your leadership and management styles and how you would deal with particular scenarios relating to staffing, parents, conflict, etc.

I would get hold of a copy of the Surestart Children's Centre practice guidance and make sure that you have a good understanding of the core offer - do you know whether the Centre is a phase 1,2 or 3. I would also try and do a bit of research on the area in which the Centre is situated - any particular characteristics, geogrpahically or socially? Are there any particular groups of families that may be hard to reach? etc.

It would be very interesting to have a look at your job description..... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)