Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Water/sea Investigation

Hi

I would like to plan an investigation for my nursery children. We are looking at the Commotion in the Ocean book in an under the sea general theme. I looked at the blowing bubbles investigation on here. I thought of maybe extending this with adding oil and food colouring to see if it has an effect. But I am not wowed by it!

My other thought was a flaoting andsinking focussed activity?

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

We created a beach in the outside play area and used a tuff spot as a rock pool. (We happended to have a large amount of sand left over from filling a new sandpit.) As we are near the seaside we were able to get hold of seaweed, shells and pebbles and already had sand to line it with. We also added some of those weird ball things (usually used in vases that swell up in water) to be fish eggs. Also added usual rock pool inhabitants such as crabs and small fish from the plastic water toys we have.

The children really really enjoyed having their own private beach and rock pool and kept the theme going for weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks and weeks - in fact it is still going - its a bit of a little sad specimen in the playground right now (but has been brill for ice and puddles) but the children still love it - if we can keep it ticking over a bit longer until the better weather we can have another beach this year :o

• 2 weeks later...

It's not exactly about water but...

We are doing a similar theme to you and this week I'm taking in fresh fish, some larger ones for children to handle and explore and then little ones for one of us to fry so that children can eat them. We did it last year and it was fab (the unit did smell for days though! xD ). There was lots of talk about body parts and how fish are similar and different to other animals, some children had parents who go fishing and had lots of knowledge to share and even the most timid children gave them a bit of a poke. So many children watched the fish cooking and tried them, we were amazed! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)