Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ice Palace Roleplay!

Hi all!

This is the very first time I've done this so please forgive me if I do it all wrong! I'm about to do a mini topic on winter with my reception children and they want an ice palace for one of our roleplay areas. All lovely but my mind has gone blank when I try to think of ideas to incorporate writing into the area! Has anyone got any suggestions? Thank you!

Not so sure on this could they copy/write 'cold' words and 'hot' words, or sort pre-written cold/hot words, could you have some music in there which suggests winter/cold weather and they could make marks on paper suggesting sounds? Someone recently had the children mark making with ice cubes made from paint. Could you put in blue/purple paper and silver pens and pencils? Sorry not much help, will keep thinking.

Oh Maddie, just seen this is your first post - welcome to the forum, hope this is the first of many - watch out for addiction!

Edited by Panders

Hi Maddie16!

Well done on your first post and welcome to the forum!

It's been a long day and I'm afraid I don't have any inspiration left.... just surprised that 17 people have viewed the post and no-one has replied :oxD

Sorry I can't help but want to say hi...

:(:(

Guest Mrs Tiggy Winkle

Only thing I can come up with at the moment is somehow writing on mirrors - maybe with wax? then you could photocopy anything they produced. I wondered about the little magic slate things too. Or maybe they could 'write' with glue and then sprinkle on glitter ( if there's any left since Christmas!) Or wax writing with a blue water wash over to make it show. Shaving foam 'snow' to finger write in!

If you want more 'conventional' writing then how about giving them snowman. igloo, snowflake shapes to write on? That's all my brain will come up with so far...

welcome to the forum :o

what about black paper and white chalk?

Glitter/Gel pens

Old Christmas cards with winter scenes, perhaps cut the picture off to make it a postcard from the Ice Palace??

HTH

Clare x

Well done on your first post, heres a few ideas:

Writing with ice lollies - make some lollies using those plastic holder thingies and then they can use them to mark make - lots of fun and they love using them until all the ice has gone.

Writing maps/directions for the Ice palace

Magic stepping stones leading up to the palace with secret/code messages on them.

Mixing spells or potions inside the palace and writing ingredients.

Good luck, will add more if i think of them, mind is a bit blank at the mo

The children in my class enjoyed writing with an ice cube, just on the table.

Crazy lot! They all had very pink fingers afterwards, but loved it!

:D

Guest janetcollins

Hi well done on your first visit. For Ice Palace rolepay another idea could be using shaving foam lots of songs can be sung at same time especially if you add a focus of how you are going to get to your Ice Palace. Another idea and this works really well for children who do not tend to take part in mark making is get the children to think about what things thay need to make an ice palace and then give them clipboards or notpads and ask the children to make their lists of the things thay need and if you ask them to think about quanities you are also including maths into the role play and then making literacy and maths part of creativity. Hope this helps

Have fun

Janet

Wow!

I really didn't expect so many replies and so many lovely ideas- thank you everyone! I'm totally new to reception (even though I've taught for 15 years) and constantly worry I'm doing it all wrong- it is So very different to other year groups!

You have made a lonely reception teacher feel very happy! I will be trying lots of these out and will see how it goes!

"Writing with ice lollies - make some lollies using those plastic holder thingies and then they can use them to mark make - lots of fun and they love using them until all the ice has gone"

Rufus, I'm keen to know a bit more detail..... what do you use for the colouring? Powder paint, food colouring or what?? Definitely want to give this one a go!!!

Idea stolen from my daughter who' doing her Primary Ed degree.........

Can you get those silver takeaway food lids? Apparently if you use a pencil to markmake on the silvery side you can then paint over them with a roller and use them to make prints. It would look very effective with snowflake patterns and silvery paint, or cool colours paint! Could you put some netting over the top of your roleplay area where the children could suspend their own snowflakes (ooh, used to love making those.....), stars etc? You could explore photos of real snowflake patterns, how many points on stars etc. Who can remember that painting technique that looks icy where you paint with salt? Can't quite remember but I think you sprinkle salt on afterwards whilst paint is still wet?

Hi Maddie16 and a very warm welcome to the forum! Don't be 'lonely' we're all here! xD

Some lovely ideas already - can't add anything I'm afraid........have worn out my few brain cells working on my SEF today! :o

Keep posting!

"Writing with ice lollies - make some lollies using those plastic holder thingies and then they can use them to mark make - lots of fun and they love using them until all the ice has gone"

Rufus, I'm keen to know a bit more detail..... what do you use for the colouring? Powder paint, food colouring or what?? Definitely want to give this one a go!!!

Use food colouring and then its not a problem if they decide to eat them! It is fun when they do this because they will tell you they haven't but their face tells you otherwise.

Ha, inflation eh? Ours was £4.99! But the play snow was reduced to 10p a bag in Focus last week (with the Christmas decorations). The kids love it but the cleaner doesn't! :o

Hello folks,

This is my first post too! We are having a mini topic on cold and hot, in our FS2 class. We have started with 'cold, which fits in fantastically with the snow we are having at the moment. We have just changed our role paly area into an icy place. Swathes of shiny, floaty or netty materials draped. TWO ikea igloos, a log fire for cooking, a fishing hole with rods and numbered fish to catch. We even managed to find a cuddly husky, not quite enough for a dog sleigh team! To restrict overcrowding, there are 6 various winter hats to wear, which the children need to wear to play there.

We are going to provide postcards with wintery scenes and penguin stamps for the children to write. We aim to encourage them to write to a polar bear and think of questions they would like to ask it. We will also have a tiny suitcase complete with various doll sized clothes for the children to sort into cold and hot weather clothes and suitcase shaped paper for them to write or draw their own lists.

We have already done some great work on footprints which evolved from our snowy walk. We made clay imprints with their shoes and compared all the different patterns. Our display includes pictures of different animal tracks and lift up flaps with a picture of the animal whose track it belongs to. Also prints of their bare feet in size order and all the maths vocab linked to it.

Thanks to everyone for all the fantastic tips and ideas I have used before.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)