Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

We've Got 2 Men In Our Unit - Is That Some Kind Of Record?

ChrisAR

Well there's me and the caretaker. Does that count? :(

:oxD:( :(

Well done if you have 2 men in the setting, I bet the children love having a good mix of staff to interact with. That really is why it is so great having men in childcare, they bring different ideas and interests.......I think it is not unreasonable to say men and women do think differently....and that is a good thing, especially when it come to children.

• 4 weeks later...
I'd say I've only met one man who wanted to work in the EYFS. Most prefer to work with KS2 children.

Have you been able to talk with them about why they prefer older children, nicholashk? It would be interesting to know whether they don't see early years as being 'men's work' or whether we women are just incredibly effective in making them unwelcome. Of course no two individuals are the same and their reasons for choosing KS2 over the EYFS will be very different in each case. But it would be good to read some research into men's experiences of working in early years and primary compared to those who work in the upper key stages.

Maz

• 1 month later...

Just taken on our first 'male' practitioner (un qualified but used to have his own football coaching club). He is only 26 and has just completed his first week with us. He has been invaluable with the more 'lively' children of our group, both boys and girls have taken to him extremely well! From his point of view, his only concern was whether he may scare some of the more timid children or that parents would frown upon a 'male' presence. I can only give positive feedback and now to complete my team I am looking for a 'Granny/Nanny' to join us :o

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have been 'lucky' in that I have had at least one male employee every year for the last 10+ years.

OK, one of these is, admittedly, my son who works in the am at Nursery, then goes off to organise our Out of School Club in the pm but, we have had regular male part-time employees who have been working for us whilst doing University degrees.

I have never had the luxury of having a permanent male employee (apart from our current cook) but only because I have never received an application for a full time/permanent position from a bloke!

Whilst I would not give preference to a male applicant, I would take any application from a male seriously as long as they did not expect any special treatment - or enhanced pay - 'just because'....

:o

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

I'm new to all of this,, i work for Birmingham City Councils Play Service!

And we are pretty unique in the fact we have more male staff than female staff at the provision i manage (me being one)! 3 males : 2 Females! All of whom are qualified to NVQ Level 2 in Playwork!

Being a male does have its benefits, lots more sports and physical activities happen - not saying the females are lazy but the seem to be attracted more to the arts and indoor table top activities.

Being a male does have its benefits, lots more sports and physical activities happen - not saying the females are lazy but the seem to be attracted more to the arts and indoor table top activities.

Welcome and congratulations on your first post xD

I think you make a valid point but this applies to the children also I think, little girls are more inclined to art and table top stuff while the boys are more boisterous and do things big...big floor games like trains etc and big junk modelling and we all know the value of boys and the outdoor area so they can run off some of their unbounded energies!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)