Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Staff Turnover

Peggy, there's an unwritten rule at our playgroup (or it might have been added to policy recently) that you dont leave until 2 years after you've gained your qualification. The playgroup put lots of money and resources to help someone get their NVQ and it's just fairer. My cousin qualified as a midwife a year or so ago and if she leaves within a given time has to pay back some 100's of £. The same was true if my hubby left the Gas board after he qualified as a fitter many years ago. It could be a way forward, unfortunatly it doesnt help with your immediate problems. :o

Dear Peggy,

Why is it - it never rains but it pours. I really feel for you and there is not much advice I can offer - when is someone going to realise that they need to create a level playing field so we are not disadvantaged the whole time by staffing issues created by pay. We are constantly reminded that we are professionals yet why do they continue to think that they can pay peanuts to the majority of staff. I recognise that SureStart do pay more which in many ways is right but how do they reckon they are going to support the rest of the infrastructure to support their 10 year strategy. Test the water and see who is out there - you certainly have more expertise and understanding than many managers I have had the priveledge (or not) of working with - you can certainly offer them far better working conditions. Use this to your advantage - however, I cannot say how long they will stay - we all need career paths - this however does not necessarily mean having to move just to get more money. Keep at it - there might be a really good person out there who would be more than happy to work in your unit. Be positive - what about empowering and delegating this to your new manager to try and get this sorted whilst you concentrate on the things you want to do. She may just rise to the occasion and with your help I am sure she might enjoy it. Well, that's what the book says!!!! and I am trying to help you by being positive but I realise that this may not work and I do recognise the problems you face - so keep at it. You got through last time - I am sure you will get through this one too.

Nikki

Thanks,

I have learnt from previous support that it is not my fault, I always thought it was me !!! It is the system that lets us down. Overall I am feeling positive because I have had to put life in perspective, work is a vocation to me but not to the detrement of my principles and health.

I also beleive there is someone out there, maybe my current deputy or others who can follow in my footsteps with my support. Challenges are sent to test us and all that ....and don't we come out stronger at the end :D

Peggy

p.s. I like the idea of "must stay" but I wouldn't want anyone working for me who didn't want to be there. Financial responsibility may make them work abit harder at making the job work for them, and therefore stay instead of leave, if you know what i mean.

we have a must stay clause added to our contract if we start training which is be paid for by the setting...

we also have an opt out clause where if you wish to move on you just repay all costs of the training to the setting...

I have been lucky so far all have stayed and none want to leave.... some in fact prefer the clause as it also works in their favour , they look at it as a guaranteed job for the next year ....

unless we close of course.

Inge

Guest alisonjayne

Hello Peggy

I have just been catching up with this topic, My heart goes out to you, youv'e been through so much but still seem to keep going.

It's such a shame that we have to train staff only to loose them to better paid jobs, but at the moment there seems to be no solution we have lost 2 staff both with NVQ 3 early years to jobs in state Nursery and Social services leaving us with the dilemma of getting new staff qualified, but with little spare funds to pay for them and then how long will they stay? Our committee has suggested training them but if they leave before a given period of time they would have to help pay the cost of the training (not sure if this will help retain them or make them more disgruntled)

Has OFSTED been to visit you yet? Can't wait to hear what they thought of your spectacular bumble bee outfit.

Keep Smiling

Alison

Dear Peggy

You have been very quiet recently on this issue - either you are too busy getting the end of year reports done or you have hopefully solved your problem. Let us know how it is going - would love to hear about it.

Nikki

Hi Nichola,

I'd like to say I've been busy with end of year Record of Transfers, but I delegated those to all my staff. (all I have to do is type them up and put a final summary commenton each one) :D:D

My deputy manager has agreed to be promoted to Manager ( which I'm really pleased about becuse she follows the same principles as me- she's happy too because financially she needed more hours).

I do think though that my preschool days are numbered xD , I am based in a small town, in the middle of 2 larger towns ( each 5 miles away from me in each direction) Hernebay on one side and whistable on the other. Well, in hernebay 2 schools are opening maintained nurserys and today I recieved a letter from a whitstable school inviting me to their consultation meeting because they plan to open a maintained nursery in September. :(

My local primary is in walking distance and I am sure it won't be long before they open a nursery too. :(

I shall be asking what the ratio's will be etc etc at the whitstable school. However, I know the headteacher and she is a staunch advocate of "play" for young children, and hand on heart I think it will be a good place to be for the children.

I haven't had my Ofsted yet ( well that's no surprise is it :) ) I've only been waiting since Easter 2004 when they were due.

Had a chat with my deputy today and she did say " to be honest, if it is too much for me as manager, and it doesn't work, then I will apply for a job in the maintained nursery in hernebay". ( she lives there and as long term viability is so threatened, I don't blame her).

So Nichola, to answer your question, all my balls are up in the air...maybe I should learn to juggle and become a street entertainer...I bet they even earn more than me :o

I hope this doesn't put off any applicants for the deputy post I have advertised :( - we may end up being the providers in the local primary as I have asked them enough times, so there might be a happy ending to my story yet.

Peggy

p.s. attended Ofsted Inspection training the other day, I will add my comments to the relevant section of the forum. It was quite interesting.