What's New
Articles
Resources
About Us
Tapestry
Clare

Scottish Curriculum

Hello there.

For my BA, I am currently looking into the Scottish early years curriculum and I am a little bit confused. I have found a document entitled Curriculum Framework for Children 3 to 5, but from browsing the internet, it would appear that this has now been replaced by the Curriculum for Excellence? I'm not sure if this is right?

I have a couple of questions:

How does the Curriculum for Excellence link to the early years curriculum? It seems very much aimed at provision in schools so school nurseries and reception classes (but I might be wrong, I'm finding it quite difficult getting a "straight" answer).

Secondly, if Curriculum for Excellence has replaced the Framework for Children 3 to 5, is there anything that comes before it?

Basically, I am hoping to compare and contrast what we do in England, in terms of quality, care and education to our Scottish counterparts.

If anyone could give me a brief history/run down of how things work north of the border, I would be extremely grateful. I only need a starting point as I am happy to research it myself.

Thanks in advance! :o

Hi Clare,

If I dig around a bit I've probably got some stuff that might help, otherwise maybe Beau can?? She used to run a pre-school in Aberdeenshire before her move 'down south' and may be able to shed a bit of light. I'm sure she'll be around later

Sue :o

Hi Clare, you are right in that the Curriculum Framework for children 3-5 has now been replaced by the Curriculum for Excellence. The 3-5 curriculum was introduced in Scotland in about 1999 I think. The CfE has only just been rolled out, but the idea is that its a curriculum which covers 3 years right up until 18 and is more about holistic and active learning.

I left whilst it was still in its draft phase so I haven't got a working knowledge of it. However, all the information you need can be found here. The 'bones' of the curriculum are covered under the 'experiences and outcomes' section. If you go to each curriculum area document you will see how the learning progresses from early years right up through a childs schooling life with all of the outcomes linked in a more fluid way. How this works in practice remains to be seen! There are 8 curriculum areas - Expressive Arts, Health and Wellbeing, Languages, Mathematics, Religious and Moral Education, Sciences, Social Sciences and Technologies. You can find more about the CfE in the Early Years here. I'm not sure if this is now an 'old' link, as the new LtS homepage is different to when I last looked! :o

Birth to Three was introduced in Scotland in 2005 and I'm assuming its still being used. You can find that here.

If there is anything else you would like to know just ask away and I will do my best to point you in the right direction. xD

Thank you Sue and Beau. Sorry for not replying sooner, I seem to have been taken over by three other assignments that I am desperately trying to get finished!

Will have a proper look at those links when I get a spare nanosecond :D

Don't I just KNOW that feeling!!!

Sue :o

True, I finish at the end of May, but with having overlapped a couple of courses I seem to be permanently trying to finish something!! :o

Hi Clare (and others) -

I was contacted by the LT Scotland team responsible for the new curriculum in Scotland who spotted your post. They asked me to give you the following information (I've also PMd you, Clare, with the email address of someone who can help you if you have further questions):

--------------------------------------------

Hi Clare

Carol seems to have given you a very accurate response already but I thought I might be able to add a little more to help you with your research. I am currently seconded to the Early Years Team in Learning and Teaching Scotland, the organisation responsible for developing curriculum and supporting practitioners in their work.

I’m sure you will be finding it confusing at the moment trying to piece together all of the information as we are currently at the point of change from the old curricula to the new one.

Until recently, the guidance was:

• Birth to Three

• A curriculum framework 3-5

• The 5-14 curriculum

Currently:

• Birth to three is being updated and revised to incorporate new brain research and to reflect more recent policy developments, such as ‘The Early Years Framework’. The guidance is still being used as it is at the moment, however the revised guidance and CPD materials will be published in summer 2010. This revised guidance will replace the current guidance, but is likely to be based around the same philosophy of ‘Relationships, Responsive Care and Respect’.

• Curriculum for Excellence is Scotland’s new curriculum for children and young people from 3-18. It replaces the ‘3-5 framework’ and the ‘5-14 curriculum’. All settings are expected to be implementing Curriculum for Excellence by August 2010 and most are working towards the implementation now. Curriculum for Excellence also builds on the already strong early years practice in Scotland which is based on an holistic and active approach, where play is valued and effective transitions are very important. The new curriculum has five levels. The early level is for practitioners working with children 3-6, meaning that practitioners in pre-school and primary settings are working with the same curriculum guidance for the first time. This provides new opportunities to enhance transitions for children and improve continuity and progression.

Resources to help you:

Curriculum for Excellence

http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/curriculumforexcellence

Also, we are just about to put a new resource in our early years website which was recently distributed to all pre-school and primary settings to help support them with the new curriculum. It is called ‘Curriculum for Excellence: Supporting The Early Level’. There are easy to watch videos which explain the curriculum and also give lots of support around important areas like transitions, active learning, learning and teaching, planning, assessment and more. It would be useful for you to support you in your course I’m sure. You can find it at http://www.ltscotland.org.uk/earlyyears

I would especially recommend a great video called ‘The Big Picture’, which explains Curriculum for Excellence for early years practitioners.

I hope this helps Clare and good luck with your course.

Kind Regards

Linda Lauchlan

Thanks to Linda for taking the time to contact you Steve. Its nice to know that I haven't been giving out wrong information inadvertently! xD

They're a friendly lot in Scotland. :o

Oh my God! How amazing! I just logged on quickly and saw the message from Steve. Had a bit of a xD moment and then saw I was being directed here. I can't believe that. Thank you very much! Yes, this really is the best place! :o