Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Planning For Diwali In Nursery

Hi Everyone

Firstly sorry if i have posted this in the wrong area... I am about to start my block placement for my PGCE course and have been told that the topics that are being covered during my time there are Diwali and princesses and castles. I was just wondering if anyone has any ideas what i could do? We are planning as a team but i want to look good and go in with some ideas. Thanx

Just some additional info its a completly play based nursery so ideas for add ons onto the continuios provision already implemented is probably the route the palnning is going to take. Also any books anyone could reccomend would be great 2

Thanx Again

Thanx I have just found some masks on Sparkle Box. I have to say i know nothing at all bout Diwali so I am going to read up tommorow and have a look at all the things you mentioned.

Do you have any ideas how to implement the princess theme into sand and water? I have thought about sand castles and maybe putting some small world (hopfully princesses and princes) in with them. Its equally annoying as i have to plan for 2 problem solving and numeracy, CLL and knowledge and understanding each week, so I am trying to think of some ideas how to achieve this through said themes. Minds just a bit blank as its all new to me so any ideas would be welcome

Thanx

Danielle

PSR-We made a castle for small world with junk and painted it pink when we did the theme. The children then took photo's and created a photo-story book of 'sleeping beauty'.We also covered the community play blocks with shiny wrapping paper (with the children and sellotape) so they could build a magical castle on outdoor play.

In the water I would go with sequins/stars etc for the fantasty side and fits with shiny lights side of divali.Possibly with fish nets-'catch a falling star' Our children enjoy the glass pebbles and we have some in star shapes and they use them everywhere-maths counting and weighing, home corner for cooking.Diviali was last month though???

I am just wondering if they have planned for Diwali on a yearly topic rota from previous years so left it in for this half-term, because Diwali was in November last year. This year it was on October 17th. I would just check that they still wish you to do it now. If so then you already have some lovely ideas.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/hi...ys/diwali.shtml

Sleeping Beauty is a good choice for princesses and castles and you could plan her birthday party with the children and introduce some drama with the wicked fairy coming in with the spinning wheel. Rapunzel would be another good one as well, with a bit of problem solving on ideas to help help the princess escape. George and the Dragon might appeal to the boys or Prince Cinders. I like the Paperbag Princess which puts a bit of a modern slant on the theme :o

I really don't think you should do Diwali as it has already passed for this year. It would be like doing Christmas stuff in mid January, just plain wrong! The school's fault not yours though.

HI

Thanx for all the replys love all the ideas especially the pink castle, it looks amazing and i like the idea of planning a birthday party i can see the children enjoying that. As for doing Diwali now i think it has something to do with the children experencing it first so then they can implement their own experiences into the play. I think this is why anyway as they did Halloween after if had occured also. The Nursery probably have already got alot of ideas from last year as but i just thought it would be good to suggest some ideas.

Thanx again for all your ideas, start tommorow am sure i wnt be able to keep my eyes open by wed :-)

• 3 years later...

Who needs Google! We have a Forum Calendar and the dates of celebrations and other events for each year are there. Try looking on the right hand side of the Forum Index page. There are also articles about major festivals to give background information for planning, if you do a search.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)