Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Fireworks

Jackie H

We did this activity last year on bonfire night and our children spent all day at the messy table.

You need to put milk in a large container. Drop two or three drops of food colouring in the middle and give the children a cotton bud soaked in cooking oil. When they place the bud in the milk mixture the food colouring shoots off in all direction. You can repeat putting the bud in the milk and the fireworks continue to change.

See the photos

post-480-1257354009_thumb.jpg

post-480-1257354115_thumb.jpg

We did this activity last year on bonfire night and our children spent all day at the messy table.

You need to put milk in a large container. Drop two or three drops of food colouring in the middle and give the children a cotton bud soaked in cooking oil. When they place the bud in the milk mixture the food colouring shoots off in all direction. You can repeat putting the bud in the milk and the fireworks continue to change.

See the photos

Just WOW off to try it out in my kitchen now :o Thanks

That's great! I have so much unwanted milk (milk company keep sending us too much milk!) so this is a great way to use it up! Hope semi-skimmed works though.

ppp

I just tried it and I couldn't get anything like the pictures. Semi-skimmed milk, flora cooking oil and food colouring. Moved only very slowly and didn't travel far. How 'deep' should the milk be?

Full fat or semi-skimmed shouldn't make much difference if it's homogenised

I just tried it and I couldn't get anything like the pictures. Semi-skimmed milk, flora cooking oil and food colouring. Moved only very slowly and didn't travel far. How 'deep' should the milk be?

Me too Cait. I used both types of milk and had a very poor result. I think I need step by step instructions!

Maz

We also tried it today, the colour moved very slowly but looked pretty. I have to say that dropping the colour in from up high looked amazing and the children played with the pippettes until the milk went sort of murky coloured, they were stirring and squirting for ages!!

I have to say that dropping the colour in from up high looked amazing and the children played with the pippettes until the milk went sort of murky coloured, they were stirring and squirting for ages!!

Well we might just do it tomorrow as an experiment - we usually have left over milk on a Friday anyway!

Maz

I tried it today...i found that the natural food colouring didn't 'sit' in the milk but spread straight away. When we used the 'normal' food colouring we found it produced a similar effect to marbling. the cotton buds were good for mixing the milk and colouring but there was no 'shooting off' seen...I shall continue trying this tho to see if I get different results or perfect my technique. I heard one of the kids saying 'wow, this is fantastic!' :o so thanks again x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)