Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Talk For Writing In Fs1

Hi Marion,

Just a quick note to you & all the other forum members who have shared their ideas & thoughts with me on the TfW topic! The reception & my nursery observation went really well and all your suggestions really helped (especially your actions as both reception & I used them). Reception did "the little red hen" & I did "the gingerbread man" and both sets of children have completely internalised the stories. Reception retold the story using actions & a story map. I used a small world set as the story map & the children absolutely loved it! And even my EAL & SEN children (a big proportion of our unit & mainly boys) joined in with the actions & picked-up some key words - yeah! As for creativity, I don't think the Pie Corbett model curbs creativity as one can make it as creative & fun as any other literacy lesson, probably even more so. It certainly gets their language going, and I will use it many more times.

Thanks again for all your ideas!!!

Pinkdolphin

Have you been on any training with Pie Corbett? It shouldn't be boring if done the way he advocates and demonstrates so well..

I had a full days training as part of a cluster group of schools rolling this out. It wasn't delivered by Pie Corbett but I was still not inspired by it. In fact I was uncomfortable with it and took away no new ideas. I'm with sam2368 on this one. I see nothing different from the way we have always presented stories with young children. I do think it has helped higher up school. The 'key points' have always been used by effective early years practioners.

In fact I was uncomfortable with it ...

I see nothing different from the way we have always presented stories with young children.

The 'key points' have always been used by effective early years practioners.

I'm not sure why you felt uncomfortable with it if as you say yourself it isn't different from how you have always presented stories

Thanks pinkdolphin for sharing. I have to say our children love the actions (even Y6) and as biccy says I realised I had been doing some of it for years. If you get the chance the Taffy Thomas video/audio of the Gingerbread man is lovely to share.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)