Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Thrifty Ideas

Hi, having just read the great ideas of making cheap blackboards and recalling all of the other hundreds of great ideas I've read about since joining... Pentagon dens, guttering water runs, sensory bottles, tyre planters, poundshop windmills attached to fence, balls in long socks hung from fence to hit, etc etc I wondered if it was worth having a thread permantly 'stuck' on the home page for people to add their fab thrifty ideas to (noticed the resource library doesn't get as much contribution as the main part) (it makes sense in my overactivr mind! Lol)

All ideas need to be free/cheap and the threads devoid of discussion...just the wow idea!!

if this already exists, apologies for starting this topic and can you tell me where I find it, if not we could then approach 'the little book of ' people and get published!! Haha

I don't explain myself well do I... Guess what I'm saying is there's hundreds of great ideas in the millions of posts on here and I think they're worth making more accessible - particularly as the best things are often the ones your not searching for!

Hope that clears it a little :o

Haha know what you mean.... Especially as I'm sooooo guilty of digressing. Don't think even google maps could keep up with the directions I go off on!!! Lol

thanks for your support, i think particularly in these hard times thrift is best and we all know the kids love the home made stuff the best!

I asked our local ex-catalogue shop for the tissue from the packaged clothes. its nearly always white good for winter scenes etc. mash it up with warm soap flakes good for moulding .

love thrifty ideas thanks for introducing this.

sue

I've been to a fabric supplier today and begged 6 extra long inner tubes 150cm from fabric rolls (went in the family car not my classic mini :o ) They are a waste product and I know one of my other suppliers has frequent arguements with his wheelie bin men has he bends then and wedges them in.

They have differing diametres so planning golf balls and marbles which will go through some and not others.

Extending the den making as they will make ideal wigwam poles.Lightweight but strong enough to hold up some fabric.

Old large tyre, pound shop tarpaulin, knitting needle.

Line the tyre with the tarpaulin, puncture with knitting needle for drainage, add sand and a cheap out dorr sand pit. Lid from old dustbin makes lid.

Supermarket value suction bathmat, marbles or beads, plastic tweezers.Pick up and balance marbles on suction cups when mat is upside down for fine manipulation.The mats come tightly rolled some put mat in warm (not hot the plastic wither) water for a while then lay out flat to cool

Edited by Guest

We replaced our fold away loft ladder recently. My OH has managed to seperate the 3 sections so there are now 3 short ladders of 3 rungs x 2 and 2 rungs x 1. Going to put them with the large outside blocks where they could be ladders or walls for den building.

Creative/investigation/teamwork/problem solving - outdoor activity

large cardboad box from supermarket, line with wall paper, tennis balls dunked in paint and plopped into box. 2 children at either end of box work cooperatively to roll and move the balls to decorate the paper

Outdoor gutter run

stack tyres in different height piles, 4 for the first pile, then 3, then 2, gutter length apart. Lay gutter between piles with a bucket at the end to catch the water.

A bucket or water butt at start of run.

Tyres... Garages have to pay to dispose of tyres so are always happy to give them away!

Bus company's have a larger range.

Check for sharp stones etc in tread before use. Will be dirty for a little while but this wears off

We have a sign near the paper cutter asking for any off cuts to be sent to reception - we use this for the collage and technology areas. Sometimes it big enough for the writing area.

also pre paid envelopes that come with bills - get all the staff to save them if they dont use them. If you want use a sticky label to cover the address that is already printed.

Collect the large bottle tops in as many colours as possible...great for sorting, counting, adding to models. Could be predrilled for use on the woodwork bench

large pebbles with numbers painted on for adding some natural materials to the maths area

Tube pasta and plastic washing line for early threading

Baby room, 12mths+ - placing dolly pegs on the rims of shoe boxes

Ever get sick of jumbled jigsaws - draw symbols/letters/numbers on the backs

A large cardboard box (fridge/washer etc) makes a great makeshift easel

masking tape rather than selotape in the creative area - easier for the little ones to cut (can be written on too)

4 Pint milk cartons make cool hanging containers for plants...keep the handle but cut open the front section

One pint milk cartons cut the same way make very nice individual greenhouses for the children.Seedlings are more protected than plastic cups or small plant pots and theres a carrying handle for safely transporting precious seedlings home.

there's a lot of good stuff on the discovery bottles thread

Thanks Cait, I copied and pasted some (hope that's ok), the contributors name is above the suggestion

Discovery bottles - clear pop bottles filled with interesting things for the children to explore, shake etc (lids are glued securely on)

Tricky7

1. Water and glitter - lovely effects

2. Water and crayon shavings

3. Coloured water and then add bubble bath

Cait

water and pearlised finger paint

Aliamch

Clear or light coloured shampoo with marbles, the children are fascinated when the marbles move slowly and don't make a noise like they do in water

Inge

a bottle of clear lemonade, cheapest one is fine, and drop in 4 or 5 sultanas or raisins , reseal bottle and watch, they go up and down in the bottle, so remove label to see it!

Emerald

I used that nice coloured sand and water, it moved in an amazing way

Panders

Favourite filling has been glycerine and glitter/sequins etc

We also use coloured bottles for the children to guess what's inside/describe the sound by listening as they shake them.

cheap pound shop back of the door hangers the ones with pockets are great for hanging on fences to put instruments books pens anything really for outside play.

old fridge shelves the wire ones are good for weaving

the flat hanging pan lid holders (Ikea)are good for clipping to a fence and putting clipboards in.

washed see through egg cartons are good sorting trays fasten the lid down with a large rubber band and stack when not in use

sue

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Search for local scrapstores - there's one in Manchester and one in Blackburn...there must be more over the country! Normally you pay a nominal fee to join and then pay per trolley - you can get all sorts of company waste products/offcuts etc for really cheap.

Love the discovery bottles idea!!

I have just been round to KFC, mcdonalds and domino's pizzas and they gave me loads of boxes, cartons ect to use for a takeaway role play the childen have initiated!

I also used to live near a factory that made the bits for fancy greetings cards. They used to give us all their off cut card and off cuts which i put in my workshop area but the girls have started using them as stencils. My parents house is full of it! anyone live in west Lancashire near Southport is welcome to have some! (these factories have to pay to get rid of waste so they wnat to get rid of it.

Also you can get a free post office role play pack among other things from teachers post see link below

teacher post

Emma

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)