Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Rama & Sita

Hi all! I am being observed on Monday for a lesson on Diwali. I want to do the stroy of Rama and Sita but I don't want everyone sat down listening. I was thinking about getting the whole class involved in a drama piece and wondered if anyone had done this and how they organised the children. If not has anyone got any other really good ideas for getting the story across in an active way?

Hope you can help!

I've done freeze frames linked to the story, which got the thumbs up from Ofsted, but that was after reading the story and getting to know it in other ways. I'm sure it would work well using drama to tell the story though. Mine always loved the story - nothing like a bit of a battle to switch them on!

Guest tinkerbell

Do a search as this has been a topic a few times

There is a powerpoint of the story with the words to sing to the rhyme of 'a princesslived a long time ago' my class have always enjoyed singing along to it.

You could make masks using paper plates,monkeys and the other characters...I always give my small group of 5 year ones the task about making Ravannas 10 headed mask (they staple and stick rulers behind etc)The children can then act out the story in their own way.

On the festivals DVD Diwali the children make the characters from the story stick them on rulers and use them as shadow puppets.

Tinkerbell

Hi Tinkerbell, I take it the words to a Princess Lived Long ago are changed to fit the Rama and Sita story. Do you know where I can find them?

The ngfl Cymru site has a good story and interactive whiteboard activities. I played 'jump in the hoop' with mine today- they have really hooked onto the fact Sita was placed in a 'magic circle' so we played the game where they run round and have to stop in a hoop at a given signal, then the hoops are taken away one by one.

Not sure if this helps but thought I'd share!

Good luck with your observation.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)