Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shops

Hello next week our roleplay area is going to be our shop after we visited our little village shop this week, i just wonderd if you have any ideas for this, im going to add newspapers, real cans and veg, is there any thing you have done that worked really well? thanks :o

I always collected any leaflets that came through my door from supermarkets to put in the shop role play. xD

me too :o and a favourite with our children was paper bags (various sizes) they loved the wole selling and wrapping thing! I think it was a bit of a novelty factor as paper bags are not widely used in shops now!

As a tip, when using real cans, tacky-back over the paper labels - makes them last much longer (we put them in the home corner continuous prov and they lasted all year - wotks to a degree with most packaging, esp if you stuff it to give support on the inside) Also see if you can get hold of any plastic cards which aren't bank cards but look like them - you know the kind of thing you get in junk mail? Blank till rolls are good too - can write out their own; paper pads for shopping lists, scales, phone for orders and deliveries, real money - just coppers! Purses,wallets, handbags and shopping bags. (Agree about the paper bags - ours enjoyed devising their own logos and slogans) Tabards for shopworkers/hats/badges. Make salt dough food to sell, tongs to handle it with, you can make great strings of sausages out of stuffed and tied tights ..........

• 3 months later...

I've just been reading this for some ideas for our shop roleplay which at the moment is very bare.

Anyone know where I can get cheap paper bags and till rolls from? I don't think I've ever seen either in the shops, but perhaps I'm looking in the wrong places!

Also the other teacher has vetoed using 'real' objects (except for empty boxes) for the shop since our children are likely to throw real cans around and mush real food into the carpets so does anyone know where I can get cheap plastic food/cans etc? I'm going to have to buy it from my own money so I need something inexpensive!

Can you not put an appeal in the school newsletter for the plastic food? It is the sort of thing that many families have and if they have older children they may be quite keen to offload some!

We set ours up as a supermarket, so we used our storage trolleys to make aisles and to hold the food packets on shelves and they used shopping trolleys to go round selecting food As sid before, the children just love putting things in bags. The shopping all got taken to our home corner so we had to have lots of restocking sessions.

Our children love to put in their Chip N Pin numbers on an old calculator by the till and use swipe cards through the till.

Paper bags and till rolls from Wholesalers - surely school has a ticket you can borrow, you can also get small paper bags like you get takeaways delivered in.

Ours also liked to make their own catalogues of items for sale like an Argos book when we had a toy shop.

We had A4 box lids with things like lego bricks in to be sweeties and the children used tongs to pick them up with and put them into paper bags.

We had children making deliveries etc.

We only ever have 1ps in the shop so the children can count out in 1's and we had a furniture shop DFS I think which were advertising with coupons which looked like paper money, so we put some of those in too.

We made gingerbread men from stiff brown paper and decorated them to sell in the baker's shop and gingerbread houses etc.

The children use the inserts from chocolate boxes to make playdough cakes/sweets to sell.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)