Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Role Play

Possum

Hi, not sure if this is the best place, but here goes

Our stock of role play clothes is starting to look a bit tatty - they came originally from ELC, so was a bit costly, but now sadly fraying after 5 or so years of heavy use.

Where does everyone get theirs from - I would have gone to woolworths of course but that's not an option, although I've not looked at the site.

How do children rate the tabard style, or do they favour the full 'proper' style?

To be honest we have very few 'brought' dressing up clothes. My TA is fab at making nurses aprons, princess cloaks etc from pieces of material when needed. We do have lots of 'props' such as telescopes, doctors kits etc. Most of these are from ELC or Tesco- they had a sale on the other day when we were doing pirates!

Hi Possum, we seem to pick up role play clothes all over the place, even the mums return to donate items which the children no longer use at home, hence we are full to over bursting with them sometimes. So i do go through our stuff up-dating repairing and replacing when poss.

Ours have shied away from the tabard style in favour of the full rig out in the last couple of years, but we keep the tabards at hand because some children who are not dresserupppers sometimes will put on a tabard, also the tabards are useful outside, they can fit over most coats . Most popular is super hero stuff, princess/fairy a few t.v. characters but they can go a session or two without using the dressing up stuff and then wham they go mad for it all again. The usual catalogues seem to have reasonable stuff, and it has been well made, particularly the multicultural clothes.

The popular superhero/t.v. characters have to be high street I think - I check out the M&S sales, occasionally charity shops have been useful too we have even used pyjamas before now.

Hi , Panders beat me to it! We have loads and loads of role play costumes - too many really ....... almost all have been donations from parents...try an 'appeal' in your next newsletter......always works for us! :o

yes we too have lots and lots of dressing up clothes ,mostly donated - however these are nearly all girls things - fairies and princesses etc - not much in the way of boys clothes - we will in september be putting out a note asking for donations of boys role play clothes though.

we have also had to provide (as part of ecers) real adults clothes - jackets, dresses,hats ,scarves and shoes etc - these are hardly used by the children although we were told when had ecers that these should form main part of our dressing up and not all these "fairy , princess type of clothes" .

the only thing they do like from "real clothes" are the hats i brought - these came from primark at about £2 each - the children do love these.

Hello,

Im new to this site but as a staff insentive we have put to gether small challenges through out the summer holidays for example this week we have asked for the staff to bring in,

a hat

a pair of shoes

and a handbag that they no longer need

to help build on our role play and dressing up, the challenge gets harder each week and we have rewards for each area of the nursery for example half and hour over time, bacon sandwiches breakfast, £10 pounds to spend on there room.

it seems to be working well and staff have enjoyed the challenge and team building.

and also helps us to build on the areas we may need more resources in!

Hope this has helped and you have as much fun as we have!!

yes we too have lots and lots of dressing up clothes ,mostly donated - however these are nearly all girls things - fairies and princesses etc - not much in the way of boys clothes - we will in september be putting out a note asking for donations of boys role play clothes though.

we have also had to provide (as part of ecers) real adults clothes - jackets, dresses,hats ,scarves and shoes etc - these are hardly used by the children although we were told when had ecers that these should form main part of our dressing up and not all these "fairy , princess type of clothes" .

the only thing they do like from "real clothes" are the hats i brought - these came from primark at about £2 each - the children do love these.

Hi Blondie, Whilst I understand the "real thing" element of your ecers assessment, what's the point if the children do not respond and they want what they want princesses, hereos, t.v. characters - I think I would be more likely to have a special week or two when adult clothes were available, and just keep the hats, shoes jewellery, handbags type stuff handy. If the ECERS police catch me so be it!!! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)