Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Makaton

I dont see how it can be equal opportunities if what is effectivly a language is copyrighted

Well everything has to be funded Alison - and this is a lifetime's work for the people who developed Makaton and promote it round the world. I'm sure that copyrighting its use enables the authors/researches to maintain quality and ensure that it is used properly too. I must say I thought the books were well priced actually - I thought they would be much more expensive.

Maz

its a shame that copy right gets in the way of sharing much needed resources and information I had this problem a few years ago when I had a child in my setting who used makaton I contacted SALT who didnt have any makaton courses at the time and the cost of the resourses where rediculous it was so frustrating I dont see how it can be equal opportunities if what is effectivly a language is copyrighted

There is an explanation of why the resources aren't free on the Makaton website here.

Hi !

Just in case anyone is interested.

In Somerset we use Somerset Total Communication which looks at using all the senses in communication. It combines sign and symbols mainly, they have a website (hope this is the right one !)

http://www.somerset.gov.uk/somerset/social...amp;infoid=6465

It says this about STC

Somerset Total Communication (STC)

What is Total Communication?

Total Communication is a nationally recognized process of using speaking with body language, facial expression, multi-sensory channels, objects , representational objects, photographs , pictures, symbols, writing, videos, computers as appropriate for individual understanding and expression of needs, wants, choices, independence. Anything that promotes more effective two-way communication !

Motherclangerx

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)