Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Makaton

Hi,

Is anyone able to describe to me the sign for 'stop' or post a link with a picture?

Thanks

ppp

wondered if anyone can give me the following signs:

friends friendly

help

cross (as in I'm feeling cross)

many thanks

Hope these make sense:

Friends:

You hold your left hand with your right hand but both palms should face your body, almost like you are shaking hands.

Help:

Working hand is flat palm up, other hand is in a loose fist on top of the working hand and both hands make a movement up and slightly away from you.

Cross (I don't know cross but we tend to use angry)

Hold both hands in a slight claw shape, palms facing you and make small up and down movements with them for the duration of the word.

Hope that helps.

the signs given are taken from the makaton vocabulay cd just in case you need verification

killowengirl

the signs given are taken from the makaton vocabulay cd just in case you need verification

OOh! Where does one get hold of one of those then? And how much would it cost? :o

It can be bought from the makaton vocabulary project and is about £300 I think. You buy the core vocabulary and then have to buy the extra ones separately such as animals and transport etc. Although some of them are on the cd

It can be bought from the makaton vocabulary project and is about £300 I think.

Hmm. Quite a big investment at a setting level - but every LA could buy one coudn't they? Will need to follow this up, I think!

Thanks for the info.

Maz

The core vocabulary is £68 and each one is between £68 and £78 so the whole bundle will be about £300 sorry for the mistake but as you say it is quite a lot and yes I agree local authorities should make the investment. I do have a copy of the core vocabulary so if you need any signs I can post them if it will help

killowengirl

Hmm. Quite a big investment at a setting level - but every LA could buy one coudn't they? Will need to follow this up, I think!

Thanks for the info.

Maz

Hi Maz - our SALT has supplied paper/hard copies of the Makaton signs - might be worth asking.

Sunnyday

Hi Maz - our SALT has supplied paper/hard copies of the Makaton signs - might be worth asking.

Thanks Sunnyday - we don't have any 'official' links with SALT but I may well ask when I do the next lot of training with them! :o Althought I do like electronic copies of things where I can get them because it makes things much more convenient to use! So I shall work on our development officer to see if we can get a copy of the CD too! xD

Maz

The problem with Makaton is that they are rather precious over their resources and it is very expensive. Apparently Sign-a-long that we now use is almost identical but much cheaper and easier to access (for example if there is a sign you need and you don't have it in your books you can email them and they reply back). Sign-a-long also have a much better way of showing and telling you how to properly sign a word which is so much better than trying to work it out from the brief wording and picture you get.

Our staff are all sign-a-long trained at a basic level and our SALTs are all advanced level trained.

• 1 month later...

I would like to suggest 'singing hands' http://www.singinghands.co.uk/

its a fabulous way to introduce young children to the world of signing accompanied by some familiar and unfamiliar songs...

I also attended a morning workshop with the founders of singing hands which was superb....

My kids love it and I have learnt so many new signs.

:o

This is a useful thread guys. Does anyone know the sign for .....

finished

more

sit down

home time

water

bikes

I could go on forever but they are the main ones that would help with my little autistic boy

Thanks

Now how did you get that onto the PC?????????

I am a Makaton signer and have to photocopy all ours. Can one get a PC version?

The problem with Makaton is that they are rather precious over their resources and it is very expensive.

Not wanting to be a kill joy but the Makaton signs I would think are protected by copyright and thus as a forum we cannot endorse the sharing of these symbols as this will infringe copyright.

Here is a link to the Makaton Charity site where there are some free resource downloads plus the facility to ask for individual signs at individual prices.

MAKATON SITE

Peggy

its a shame that copy right gets in the way of sharing much needed resources and information I had this problem a few years ago when I had a child in my setting who used makaton I contacted SALT who didnt have any makaton courses at the time and the cost of the resourses where rediculous it was so frustrating I dont see how it can be equal opportunities if what is effectivly a language is copyrighted

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)