Photo

Eyp National Conference

• Please log in to reply
87 replies to this topic

#61 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

Fully paid up member of the awkward squad!

• Moderator and FSF Saint
  • 12,557 posts

Posted 14 July 2009 - 11:54 PM

I enjoyed it, shame I didnt meet anyone and hopefully they will do it again next year.

You didn't send me your mobile number did you Alison? It would be too awful if you had been waiting for a text with the secret meeting place and codeword :o Would have been great to have met you - but as you say, maybe next time!

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz, 14 July 2009 - 11:55 PM.

#62 holly35

holly35

Forum Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 06:38 AM

Sorry I didn't find any of you - was looking all day for a forum badge but I didn't spot any! I was a little disappointed by some of the seminars and the exhibition was a bit poor too. But that said I got my value for money by going to the seminar by Julian Grenier about becoming a leader. It was so good not to have someone telling you how it should be done and that it would all go according to plan. Think I will be typing out the quote he started with and sticking it up everywhere to keep me sane over the next few months! I would love to come to Pen Green. Would it be open to me too ?

#63 Wolfie

Wolfie

Landscape design and gardening consultancy!

• Members
  • 4,786 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:51 AM

Oooh, please share the quote...I'm always on the lookout for handy ones that I can use! :o

#64 littleanna

littleanna

Feet firmly under the table!

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:29 AM

I was there too ,but failed to spot any of you-mind you I was easier to see as I was in a wheelchair as I am not too well at the moment.I too enjoyed the day on the whole but did not here a lot that made me go wow- maybe I am expecting too much!Mind you i went to Reggio this year and was disappointed with that, so maybe I am hard to please.I wanted to know

Where the other EYPs are going to come from
How are we going to pay them so they stay
Are there any studies to show they improve practice
If the EYP is meant to be working directly with the children in a Day Nursery does that mean one for each age group
etc etc
LittleAnna

#65 holly35

holly35

Forum Gardener

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

Will try to put the quote in later for you. It's less one for quoting to other people and more for keeping yourself sane!
I too would have liked some discussion on the future of the sector and also how appropriate it is for practitioners to be being trained up and then having to go to work elsewhere due to financial issues. Also all the figures we keep getting quoted at us about percentages of settings that should have an EYP because x number of practitioners have completed. Where do they count those working in LAs or like me, not counted towards the targets because I work in a sessional setting and not a full day care one.

#66 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

• Official FSF Saint
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:55 AM

Where the other EYPs are going to come from
How are we going to pay them so they stay

Hi Littleanna,

Didn't you hear the lady? The other EYPs are going to come from the brightest and best of the graduate crop (yeah right)! As for paying them? Well apart from Dawn Primarolo telling us about a large meaningless sum which will be spent on childcare as a whole I don't recall any acknowledgement of the fact that we have to pay these people enough to keep them in the Early Years sector! Perhaps I wasn't focussed and open enough at that point.

What a shame we missed each other! I saw one or two people using wheelchairs but don't know which one was you. Perhaps we should have some special big FSF badges to wear on such occasions so we can spot each other more easily.

I hope you are feeling better soon

#67 Helen

Helen

• 4,285 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:30 AM

Hi Littleanna,
Well, I can answer one of your questions, having spoken to someone from the University of Wolverhampton yesterday. They have been given funding for a three-year research project on the role and impact of EYPs. It will include a survey of EYPs, asking about their planned career progressions, and also case studies of 30 settings across the country, looking at how the EYPs are improving the quality of care and learning. I believe there will be a questionnaire in January 2010 to kick the whole thing off. :(

Alison, good idea about huge badges.... maybe dayglo ones? :o :lol:

#68 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

• Official FSF Saint
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 09:38 AM

I was wondering whether you would give them to one person to give out on the day or perhaps have a design that each person could download and print off themselves.

We could have a space for our forum names - what do you think louby lou, Mrs Tiggywinkle and Chicken Licken? Daddydaycare could attract some new business with his!

What would work best?

#69 mundia

mundia

lunar gardener

• 6,173 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:27 AM

It was lovely to meet up with a few names and finally put faces to them.

I too felt the day was a bit up and down, probably because Im so shattered at the moment but one thing that was great was meeting people working in different LAs, and hearing about what they're up to. I spent quite some time chatting to a chap who was doing a PHd on men in childcare, now I think that would be an interesting read.

A visit to Pen Green Im sure would be great, sometimes you need a bit of a 'wow' fix before returning to normality again.
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life. And the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. Steve Jobs

#70 littleanna

littleanna

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:29 AM

Who is Daddydaycare and what business is he after?

#71 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

• Official FSF Saint
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 11:06 AM

You missed out on meeting him along with the rest of us. He's in the childcare business like the rest of us but we don't all have forum names to advertise the fact. I wouldn't drum up much with AlisonP. Perhaps I should change my forum name to Mary Poppins. Although I bet somone has already got that one.

#72 Alison

Alison

Part of the Furniture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 952 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

You didn't send me your mobile number did you Alison? It would be too awful if you had been waiting for a text with the secret meeting place and codeword :o Would have been great to have met you - but as you say, maybe next time!

Maz

I wasnt sure whether I was going to get there or not and Im sure there will be a next time

#73 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,557 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 03:02 PM

I would love to come to Pen Green. Would it be open to me too ?

Of course!

I was there too ,but failed to spot any of you-mind you I was easier to see as I was in a wheelchair as I am not too well at the moment.

You weren't the lady I was trying to negotiate my way round with my huge lunch were you? This particular lady was being propelled towards the buffet by what could have been her husband, whilst she was telling him what food she wanted him to pick up. It struck me that there was a partnership that works very well! :lol:

I wasnt sure whether I was going to get there or not and Im sure there will be a next time

Phew! Just so long as I hadn't neglected you! What a relief. :o

Maz

#74 littleanna

littleanna

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:04 PM

That was in deed me and that in deed was my husband, we work together running Day Nurseries, can't say I can remember you, hope I was not being too bossy

#75 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,557 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 10:49 PM

That was in deed me and that in deed was my husband, we work together running Day Nurseries, can't say I can remember you, hope I was not being too bossy

Thought so! What a pity - but as Alison says: maybe next time!

Maz

#76 Chicken Licken

Chicken Licken

Forum Inhabitant!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 414 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 06:45 AM

Littleanna - I believe I saw you too - I think you sat and ate your lunch right next to us - we were a group sitting on the floor not too far from the buffet (easy access to seconds!). What a shame we didn't realise!

I had a fantastic time - loved meeting FSF ladies and gent. Just wish I'd been more awake for the conference! :o

A clean house is a sign of a broken computer

#77 littleanna

littleanna

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:34 AM

As you say next time!! :o

#78 Upsy Daisy

Upsy Daisy

• Official FSF Saint
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 16 July 2009 - 09:52 AM

Littleanna - I believe I saw you too - I think you sat and ate your lunch right next to us - we were a group sitting on the floor not too far from the buffet (easy access to seconds!). What a shame we didn't realise!

I had a fantastic time - loved meeting FSF ladies and gent. Just wish I'd been more awake for the conference! :lol:

Building up the case for enormous FSF badges! :o

#79 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,557 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 04:17 PM

Just wanted to say that if you haven't looked at the video of the day, login and do it! Helen: you're a natural in front of the camera. I think you should be on teachers tv! What a pity we didn't get the chance to see you on the big screen of the day.

I hope the present Mr Edwards is suitably impressed!

Maz

#80 DaddyDayCare

DaddyDayCare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 05:22 PM

Helen: you're a natural in front of the camera. I think you should be on teachers tv! What a pity we didn't get the chance to see you on the big screen of the day.

Couldn't agree more Maz, Helen is most certainly a natural.

I was slightly disappointed, however, that the highlights didn't include the look on Tanya Byron's smug boat race when some load-mouthed individual heckled her from the back of the room... :o

#81 littleanna

littleanna

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:03 PM

Couldn't agree more Maz, Helen is most certainly a natural.

I was slightly disappointed, however, that the highlights didn't include the look on Tanya Byron's smug boat race when some load-mouthed individual heckled her from the back of the room... :o

How rude!

#82 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,557 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:06 PM

How rude!

Some would say it serves her right for making a sexist comment about men and childbirth, but I couldn't possibly comment!

#83 littleanna

littleanna

• PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 21 July 2009 - 06:29 PM

Woman being sexist are you sure?

#84 DaddyDayCare

DaddyDayCare

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:31 PM

Some would say it serves her right for making a sexist comment about men and childbirth, but I couldn't possibly comment!

Well I can and will comment! Serves her right for making a sexist comment about men and childbirth.

That is the exact attitude that creates the kind of environment that men do not want to be a part of - quite how we are going to change perceptions with high-profile people like her making such gratuitous, ill-advised statements is anyone's guess. :o

#85 Helen

Helen

• 4,285 posts

Posted 22 July 2009 - 01:39 PM

I agree DDC. I was ashamed of her making those comments.....it's the equivalent of men saying women can't park cars/can't stop talking/always cry at films/can't read maps, etc :lol: She didn't have to make such a cheap shot and her speech was the lesser for it.

Thanks for the comments about the film clip.......don't think I'll make it a career though :o I am, however, extremely glad they didn't play it on the day!

#86 mundia

mundia

lunar gardener

• 6,173 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

Favour please.
I have been trying and consistently failing to download one of the seminar notes..seminar 28. If anyone else who went to the conference has the notes for this seminar and wouldn't mind emailing them to me, can you give a shout please?

Many many thanks
Your work is going to fill a large part of your life. And the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. Steve Jobs

#87 HappyMaz

HappyMaz

• 12,557 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 02:30 PM

I have been trying and consistently failing to download one of the seminar notes..seminar 28. If anyone else who went to the conference has the notes for this seminar and wouldn't mind emailing them to me, can you give a shout please?

I have it mundia - do I have your email address? I'll go and check, and if so I'll email it to you!

Maz

#88 sunnyday

sunnyday

• 7,522 posts

Posted 05 August 2009 - 03:50 PM

That is the exact attitude that creates the kind of environment that men do not want to be a part of - quite how we are going to change perceptions with high-profile people like her making such gratuitous, ill-advised statements is anyone's guess. :o

Whatever did she say - do tell.........
BE KIND TO OTHERS, FOR EACH OF US IS FIGHTING SOME KIND OF BATTLE

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users