Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Child Initiated Activity And Targets

Hi, I'm new to the forum and prior to a head teachers observation I thought I was beginning to understand the basics of the EYFS. How do you answer the allegation that child initiated activities do not challenge the children sufficiently and how can I show their targets are being addressed. I am a Reception teacher with a full time teaching assistant. One of us generally takes a focus group whilst the other observes or interacts with play activities. Some practical ideas would be really helpful. The school is expecting an Ofsted very soon and I am trying to stay calm. :o

Well, I would say that you observe children's interests then enhance accordingly so that children can be appropriately challenged within their interests. This will also engage them more, and if you consider individual needs in your choice of enhancements you can easily cover most learning intentions.

After all, the EYFS is all about observing the children!

Welcome to the forum, BTW!

Sue

PS Might this be helpful? I know it's about a day nursery, but the theory is the same. Article here.

Welcome to the Forum, Brennagh - congratulations on making your first post!

I'd agree with Sue - start with observing to see where the child is and then provide enhancements to your continuous provision to challenge and motivate children to explore and develop their thinking. A well placed adult with a question or a problem they need help to solve is always a good way of challenging children's thinking and problem solving skills too!

Good luck!

Maz

Hello and welcome to the forum. There's been a great deal discussed on here about very similar situations to those in which you now find yourself. Have the courage of your convictions - you know you are right and that your observations are being used to help the children progress through their interests.

We look forward to hearing more from you in the future

A warm welcome from me too! Plenty of good advice given already - don't be disheartened, it sounds as though you're on the right track already! An imminent Ofsted sometimes does funny things to managers! :o

A warm welcome from me too! Plenty of good advice given already - don't be disheartened, it sounds as though you're on the right track already! An imminent Ofsted sometimes does funny things to managers! :o

hi new to the forum, were i work in a pre school nursery, we are all trying to find the right balance. Wer in a predicument that we can not all plan together, so we have 2 lots of planning for all ages of our children, any advice xD

Hi Sarah09 - welcome, if I've not already welcomed you! I am a manager of a preschool and each of my 4 staff do their own planning for their own key children. We discuss overviews in case we have overlaps of course and then possibly one kp will work with one of her own children and one of someone else's to achieve similar goals. We cannot all plan together either, but this works well and helps staff really know their key children

Hello Brennagh and sarah09, welcome to the forum. xD

Brennagh, as others have said adult interaction during child initiated activities can enable critical thinking, but also remember that children are quite adept at challenging themselves, they do this quite innately during play opportunities that are not 'interrupted' by an adults focus. :o. Good resourcing enables the children to carry out their own enquiries, to have the freedom to experiment with resources to problem solve themselves their own unique enquiries of the world (as in immediatte environment) around them, and the time to revisit and repeat self directed lines of enquiry.

Do you have learning journeys for each child, this is where you can evidence how they have met their learning targets. Fill these with your observation notes.

Peggy

• 3 weeks later...

Discuss this with your head before the visit.

This very issue was raised with me by an inspector YESTERDAY!

Ask the head what school policy is as although all the answers given on this forum were repeated by me to the inspector this did not cover it.

We were also questioned as to why a teacher working with a group on a Phonic activity , while two groups were enjoying self-initiated phonic work, had allowed three children to ride the bikes rather than all doing a phonic activity at the same time.

On a positive side I have to say though having the lead inspector with me was fine, very professional and reassuring.

A warm welcome from me too coz77. :o

Your comment has reminded me that schools compared to PVI's do have different expectations (internal and external) and policies to consider, even though we are all meant to be working from the EYFS same document. xD

Peggy

Hi, I work as an early years practitioner within a Foundation class (in a one form entry primary school)

We have had - and to some extent still have the exact same issue.

I have a wonderful relationship with the class teacher and she tries so hard to promote child-initiated learning.

But she faces constant pressure to prove (to Ofsted, senior staff - and especially KS2 trained staff) that the children are accessing all areas of play and meeting all targets EVERY DAY.

Through our experience I would advise you to keep plugging away with advertising the EYFS and the importance of CI learning. (to all and anyone who will listen)

Go armed with proof to back up your claims and use your Early Years Advisors - only with their physical support and their joint evidence (sitting in on meetings with Head etc) have we finally been making headway.

Oh yeah and a coup for us was when the teacher organised a visit to another school (for me, her and the head) It was one where their Foudation Unit was all CI and free-flowing.

She could see it worked - really well ! and couldn't really argue with that - well, hardly :o

hi, i work at a preschool nursery, which we have 2 rooms free flow, children agaed from two to going to school.One room is the quiet room eg, listening, stories, jigsaws envolving all areas, we have created part of the room were children can relax, have quiet time for themselves if they wish and a sensory space. It is not a large room and we after much discussion, as a team developed this. The other room has all the neseserary continuous provions, its great to see wen you change your layout how the children play, do they like change. Dothey go to ares that they do not interact with,i feel children will play by ther choice, and provision,

Sarah

i agree a lot has been changed with the new eyfs but for the better of our children. however yes planning and child iniated activities can be challenging aswell as observation and assessment. i have developed some gud planning and assessment stratgies which i would be happy to share?

As has been mentioned on other thread on here, i actually do not think it has changed that much

the only thing we do differently is ask the child what they have liked doing and ask parents for input into their child's planning

we have always long and shory obs and based future planning on that

i agree a lot has been changed with the new eyfs but for the better of our children. however yes planning and child iniated activities can be challenging aswell as observation and assessment. i have developed some gud planning and assessment stratgies which i would be happy to share?

Hello gurjit and welcome to the forum.

I would love to hear more about your planning and assesment strategies. Thank you for offering to share these.

sunnyday

hi, this is my first reply (finding time is hard to sit and read things). i run a foundation stage unit with 2 full time ECO's. i think the buzz word is 'child centered education' so go with your assessments to prove how you are working and how your children's progress is monitored. as has been said a child will gain alot more from experiencing an activity in their level with an adult to slightly direct or comment in appropriate places.

Good luck, i had my ofsted last term and we came out good. : :o

Having no experience of PVI can I please ask...

What do you mean by this please Peggy?

Coz

A warm welcome from me too coz77. :o

Your comment has reminded me that schools compared to PVI's do have different expectations (internal and external) and policies to consider, even though we are all meant to be working from the EYFS same document. xD

Peggy

Hi, I'm new to the forum and prior to a head teachers observation I thought I was beginning to understand the basics of the EYFS. How do you answer the allegation that child initiated activities do not challenge the children sufficiently and how can I show their targets are being addressed. I am a Reception teacher with a full time teaching assistant. One of us generally takes a focus group whilst the other observes or interacts with play activities. Some practical ideas would be really helpful. The school is expecting an Ofsted very soon and I am trying to stay calm. :o

I Know exactly how you feel and i am in the same position myself!!!

I need a bit more time to think about this (for my own purposes as well!) but I absolutely believe in the value of Child-initiated activities. HAve you read 'like butterflies not Bees', edited by Sally and Phil featherstone? it is full of very re-assuring information and ideas. hope you find it helpful as I did!

Having no experience of PVI can I please ask...

PVI means Private, Voluntary and Independent settings.

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

HAve you read 'like butterflies not Bees', edited by Sally and Phil featherstone? it is full of very re-assuring information and ideas. hope you find it helpful as I did!

Ooh this has just arrived with my latest Amazon order - haven't got round to it yet but following your recommendation I should do it sooner rather than later!

Welcome to the Forum, Maureen!

Maz

Good luck, i had my ofsted last term and we came out good. : :o

Well done you!

Welcome to the Forum, Avril - congratulations on making your first post and keep them coming!

Maz

i have developed some gud planning and assessment stratgies which i would be happy to share?

Always a good sentence to see in any post, Gurjit!

Welcome to the Forum - make yourself at home!

Maz

Sorry to confuse you ... I know what PVI is just interested in Peggy's comments about different pressures. :o

PVI means Private, Voluntary and Independent settings.

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)