Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Superhero Observation

Hi ya,

i wonder if anyone could help me! seeing s it is a snow day today- yay- never thought it would happen! we are off schoo so i thiught i would get up and ask you wonderful peoplefor some help!

i am getting observed after half term on superheroes and wondered what i could base my lesson on. just wonderd of anyone had any lesson obs plans that they could send me about superheroes- i have decided to do superheroes as my children are constantly are talking about different ones, especially ben ten and spiderman.

any ideas would be greatly apprecaoted

thanks for youe help in advance

x x x x

what powers would I have?

Are they all physical powers or are some of them emotional?

Design your outfit....(LOADS of glitter and sparkley paper and shiny paper will be needed!) boys also like designing their vehicles/mode of transport rather than outfit so give that option. Plenty of junk modelling equipment if designing vehicle mode of transport.

How do I keep my powers powerful?

Are my powers a sceret? If so how do i keep it secret? Are my powers for good things or bad things?

Paint a picture of you as your superhero.

Is anyone else in your family a superhero? What is your home like?

What is a hero? Who else are hero's with out super powers that we have in our community?

where did your powers come from?

Write an acrostic poem for a Super hero (individually or as a group)

How is your super hero body different from your normal body?

what do superhero's eat? Make a superhero meal. What food so you need to keep you strong, powerful and healthy

Do you come from another planet? what is that planet like? paint/draw/make that planet

Design/make any special "tools" you have. (will probably get loads of gun type things from boys so talk about making a "tool" that is for helping not hurting- even baddies!)

Using globe/map track your journey of how you help people in different countries/places (eg in the Arctic rescue a polar bear from a broken iceburg, in the desert give someone water etc)

Who might need your help near where you live?

Make a superhero plan of your day.

what powers would I have?

Are they all physical powers or are some of them emotional?

Design your outfit....(LOADS of glitter and sparkley paper and shiny paper will be needed!) boys also like designing their vehicles/mode of transport rather than outfit so give that option. Plenty of junk modelling equipment if designing vehicle mode of transport.

How do I keep my powers powerful?

Are my powers a sceret? If so how do i keep it secret? Are my powers for good things or bad things?

Paint a picture of you as your superhero.

Is anyone else in your family a superhero? What is your home like?

What is a hero? Who else are hero's with out super powers that we have in our community?

where did your powers come from?

Write an acrostic poem for a Super hero (individually or as a group)

How is your super hero body different from your normal body?

what do superhero's eat? Make a superhero meal. What food so you need to keep you strong, powerful and healthy

Do you come from another planet? what is that planet like? paint/draw/make that planet

Design/make any special "tools" you have. (will probably get loads of gun type things from boys so talk about making a "tool" that is for helping not hurting- even baddies!)

Using globe/map track your journey of how you help people in different countries/places (eg in the Arctic rescue a polar bear from a broken iceburg, in the desert give someone water etc)

Who might need your help near where you live?

Make a superhero plan of your day.

thankyou very much loads of great ideas there x x x if you think of any more feel free to write them on x x x

Just done topic on superheroes and adapted an idea that I saw here for KUW. I froze some superheroes in blocks of ice and then got office staff to 'deliver' a letter from Mr Freeze saying that he had captured them and if they didnt find a way of getting them out by the end of the day they would stay captured forever. The children got really excited by the letter. We discussed ways of getting them out and then decided on four ways that we were going to try eg just leave one on the carpet, one by the radiator, one in some water and the other in the oven (kept on very low! Health and safety talked about!!!!!).

We then kept checking them through the day and some of our poor communicators were very excited and kept taking different adults over and explaining what they could see.

I was going to do this when I was being observed but it got cancelled. I would definitely do this again because the discussions we got out of it were really good.

Just done topic on superheroes and adapted an idea that I saw here for KUW. I froze some superheroes in blocks of ice and then got office staff to 'deliver' a letter from Mr Freeze saying that he had captured them and if they didnt find a way of getting them out by the end of the day they would stay captured forever. The children got really excited by the letter. We discussed ways of getting them out and then decided on four ways that we were going to try eg just leave one on the carpet, one by the radiator, one in some water and the other in the oven (kept on very low! Health and safety talked about!!!!!).

We then kept checking them through the day and some of our poor communicators were very excited and kept taking different adults over and explaining what they could see.

I was going to do this when I was being observed but it got cancelled. I would definitely do this again because the discussions we got out of it were really good.

thankyou so much that sounds fantastic- will definately use it! x x x

Started our superhero topic on Monday and the children are loving it, they were all running around in capes yesterday!

Love your Mr Freeze activity Lomas,will be doing that next week, thankyou :o

wow really love this idea we are looking at reversible and irrversible change linked to our dinlsaur topic I think I'll do this iwth Harry's dinosaurs and get Harry to write the letter maybe begin with a letter saying that he found his bucket empty and could we help - gosh these days at home becuase of snow have been very productive ta g

I've used www.superheronation.com before now. It is not specifically for younger children, but it helped inspire me with my planning.

We had a superhero fortnight, and one thing that my class loved was when all our soft toys and dolls etc got stolen by 'Dr Zorg'. I spent a very productive Saturday dressing up one of my friends and turning my study into Dr Zorg's 'evil layer' and I recorded a ransom video from Dr Zorg for the class... It loked soooo good, and was totally effective in getting their attention. A little too real for some! haha

Then I bound and gagged all our teddies and soft toys etc and hid them in the woods. We'd been making superhero masks and capes and other paraphernalia all week, so we dressed up as superheros and went to rescue our teddies from the woods! They loved it!

There was loads of independent writing etc writing letters to Dr Zorg, the police... making wanted posters. But you need to convince one of your friends to don a wig and dress up, and put on a scary voice, in a darkened room first :o

I've used www.superheronation.com before now. It is not specifically for younger children, but it helped inspire me with my planning.

We had a superhero fortnight, and one thing that my class loved was when all our soft toys and dolls etc got stolen by 'Dr Zorg'. I spent a very productive Saturday dressing up one of my friends and turning my study into Dr Zorg's 'evil layer' and I recorded a ransom video from Dr Zorg for the class... It loked soooo good, and was totally effective in getting their attention. A little too real for some! haha

Then I bound and gagged all our teddies and soft toys etc and hid them in the woods. We'd been making superhero masks and capes and other paraphernalia all week, so we dressed up as superheros and went to rescue our teddies from the woods! They loved it!

There was loads of independent writing etc writing letters to Dr Zorg, the police... making wanted posters. But you need to convince one of your friends to don a wig and dress up, and put on a scary voice, in a darkened room first :o

ahh that sounds brill- cant believe your friend dressed up i lurve it! thankyou

ok... I've just changed laptops and am in the middle of transferring stuff over... so I will see if I can locate it then post a link :)

yeah that would be so helpful to see i thnkyou

hey i dont suppose you have a lesson plan for this that you could post on here do you?

hi everyone,

need to pick your brains. i am doing work on superheroes and being observed next week. im not sure if there is a particular focus for the observation- but i have chosen to do mine on cLL if we are allowed to pick our own as my children in the class are very good at writing. i have 23 children in my reception class, ranging from working towards to level 2c.

however i haev had a total lack of inspiration in what they can do- im thinking of them watching a VIDEO of my hubby dressed up or something and then the children describing them- or maybe me coming in as a superhero? really not sure but i want this to be my first outstanding lesson as always told good with elements of outstanding.

anyone got any great ideas??? they would be much appreciated x x x

If you have a surprise (to avoid using secret) 'weapon' or 'power', mine are the cup holders from stabucks which I wear on my wrist, this can give you a superpower. I was able to jump soo high I could touch the ceiling in our outdoor room (low ceiling!) The kids of course couldnt and so thought I actually had a power to do this. Maybe they could come up with powers and describe what they help them to do, would they then write these and you could make a powers board!? I am with under fives so dont know about that bit. I think using great describing words to explaing their powers might work?

Last week we sent secret messages to each other, white wax crayon on white paper and then used a paint wash over it.

Worked really well,

jackie.

Why not use a fab book as a starting point - Traction Man by Mini Grey really inspired my Rec class - they wanted to dress up on the range of items I brought in on as a present from T Man to the class.- large size wellies are good for power boots - I also bought great stretchy gold 'power belts' from Primark - now in the sale! We also made links with snack - what would a superhero need to eat and drink?

I had traction man write to the children asking them to design him a new superhero outfit - lots of opps to write letters back, to label models, write instructions etc. They also came up with their own superheroes and names. Good Luck.

thanx guys i have done the white crayon writing - children love this! i like the idea of using a book to start it off. do you think they would have the traction man book in a library?

hi people need to pick your brains.

i am beign observed and need your advice.

we are currently carryign out work on superheroes. my chidren are very good at writing in reception, where i have 23 children and 2 eal.

starter: i want to do some sort f drama or hot seating- chidlren asking me questions or askiing eachother questions- still unsure

activity: the day before the children will have designed their own superhero outfit. they will each have to write and describe their outfit in sentences. children to make up success criteria.

high a: write 5 sentences

ma: write 3 sentences

la: write 1 sentence

eal: still unsure as cant write and very little understanding- thought maybe verbally describiing a picture although i still think too hard.

plenary: look at a good/ not so good piece of the children work and sa how we could make it better. were they successful? how do we know?

thumbs up/ down how eacch cihld thinks they achieved the lo.: to write in sentences, sometimes using punctuation.

any help will be muchly appreciated.

thank you x x

• 11 months later...

i have been searching forum posts on superheors and found this thread - thank you to everyone who has contributed this is my next terms provocation planning sorted!!!!! you are all stars!!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)