Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Ice Cube Play!

My children had a lovely time today with ice cube play, i used 6 bowls and filled them with ice cubes and lots of plastic sea creatures and shells, the children loved it, we also added blue and yellow food colourings to show them how when mixed they would change colour!

one little boy didnt move all morning, playing only with the ice! not really sure what had happened to all the water as there wasnt alot of mess, i suspect they sucked on alot of ice!!

Sounds like huge fun - we did similar before Christmas - the one thing you absolutely have to do - even if its just to see there reaction! Fill a pair of rubber gloves with water , tie at top and freeze them , next day peel off gloves -you'll have the most amazing frozen hands -ours loved it !

I have used the frozen hands with Y1/2 too - I set them the task to make their own frozen hand using the glove and allowed them to use food colouring, glitter, sequins etc to freeze and then bring into school to use as part of a science investigation with material. It was great fun and what made it even more special was that it snowed that morning too! (Oh and I made sure that I had made spare ones at home too!)

For a literacy activity last week I put the magnet letters in ice-cube trays.The ice cubes didn't last long as they were well handled as the children peered in to see which letter was frozen inside each.It was very popular and some were trying very hard to get the letters out :o

I have used the frozen hands with Y1/2 too - I set them the task to make their own frozen hand using the glove and allowed them to use food colouring, glitter, sequins etc to freeze and then bring into school to use as part of a science investigation with material. It was great fun and what made it even more special was that it snowed that morning too! (Oh and I made sure that I had made spare ones at home too!)

I love it - what a brilliant idea, am definately going to try this one, thanks !

We did as well before Christmas. We also froze dinosaurs inside the ice and allowed the children to try to get them out. We had some very imaginative ways being discussed.

I did painting with ice cubes today and one nursery child spent the whole session with me mixing and spreading talking about the cold ice and the slippery paint the colours he was mixing and giving instructions to three reception children who joined him. He sang and grinned as he worked ...

oohh how spooky, we played with ice cubes today too. I added different food colourings to each bag before freezing them, the children loved it, they mostly enjoyed popping the ice cube out the top of their fist and chasing them round the room though :o

we did too :o . I had ice blocks with different shape stickle bricks in and ice blocks with penguins and snow flakes in, the baby had a bowl of warm water with little ice pots in that she tried to catch. great fun

i love the idea of letters - that would really appeal to one of my children - thanks

also, i've tried the ice cube painting, it's really good and gives beautiful effects but has anyone found a way of getting the sticks to stay straight in them or am I just being anal xD

I fill ice cube trays with a water and paint mix for vivid colours or water and food colouring for more wishy washy colours, freeze them with lolly sticks on and you have paint cubes on sticks. As the ice melts the effects are different, starts off a bit like a crayon when they're really frozen and then become more like watercolours

really simple and fun :o

Sounds like huge fun - we did similar before Christmas - the one thing you absolutely have to do - even if its just to see there reaction! Fill a pair of rubber gloves with water , tie at top and freeze them , next day peel off gloves -you'll have the most amazing frozen hands -ours loved it !

Yes, this is a great idea, but please be aware of latex allergy, which is becoming more common these days and can be quite nasty. Vinyl gloves are readily available, cheap and are interchangeable with the latex ones

Sue :o

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

When I did this activity I used plain water and then when frozen I encouraged the children to drop food colouring using dropers onto the frozen hand - It was marvellous to watch as it travelled over the ice. The red colour created lots of language as you can imagine!!!!

Great weather at the moment to try all of these activities too.

When I did this activity I used plain water and then when frozen I encouraged the children to drop food colouring using dropers onto the frozen hand - It was marvellous to watch as it travelled over the ice.

We do this too when we have ice bowls, and also add salt to the surface - the children can hear it fizzing on the ice and then it cracks and makes small crevices in the ice which the food colouring travels down. Fab!

Maz

We do this too when we have ice bowls, and also add salt to the surface - the children can hear it fizzing on the ice and then it cracks and makes small crevices in the ice which the food colouring travels down. Fab!

Maz

fab idea!! goin to try this tomorrow!!

We had slush in our tray - before the snow melted yesterday the children went and scooped it off the walls and playground. kept it outside overnight and put it in our watertray today.

It was fab - they had spades and buckets and lots of slush - nearly added some colour, but really didn't need it just the ice was fantastic.

When you make the hand tell the children that Jack Frost has dropped it then ask them what they could wrap it in to keep it safe for him. Try different materials like wool, tin foil, cotton wool, fabric.

Put ice cubes in your builders tray but put a layer of cornflour in the bottom first, as it melts you get goop.

We done 3 ice activities today in preparation for tomorrow. The paint ice lollies.We used ready mix paint bottles and the children squeezed in the ice cube trays to fill each section.Hope ready mix works!. We made green and blue water and poured with a funnel into icecube making bags.Loved watching the water trickle through each pocket. Their faces when we turned them upside down and the water didn't come out :o . We've burried them under the snow to rediscover in the morning hopefully frozen for the tuff spot with shaving foam and polar animals. We put 2 buckets of water in an old water tray and then put items in it-feathers, glitter flakes, ribbon, cars, dinosaurs, pompoms .cotton wool balls-anything the children could find.We've left that out hopefully to freeze into the largest icecube we could make!! Tomorrow we'll tip it out into a tuff spot and play icey I spy with magnifying glasses.

Could someone please explain how to paint with ice cubes,

ooh, photo opportunity here :(:o

Curiously we found that the boys preferred black paint, girls preferred other colours. The children were shown how to make them, where to find all the resources (yoghurt pot, lolly stick, water, ready mix paint, freezer) to make them, including where the ice compartment is in the fridge, they continued to make their own ice paint lolly's independently for a few weeks after the initial introduction to the activity. This enabled a sense of time, as they learnt that they had to wait a day for their 'lolly' to freeze. xD

Have fun, it's times like this that I really miss having my preschool. :wacko:

Why not try putting some essence in as well, smelly lollys YUM (could lead to some painted noses though :( )

Peggy

post-3604-1233851830_thumb.png

post-3604-1233851891_thumb.png

post-3604-1233851908_thumb.png

post-3604-1233851932_thumb.png

post-3604-1233851953_thumb.png

post-3604-1233851974_thumb.png

post-3604-1233852008_thumb.png

oh Peggy what lovely photos, thankyou :wacko:

Your welcome, xD I have about 5,000 others if you'd like to see them (only joling). :(:( (but not all of ice, just lots of preschool pics taken over a 7 yr period :o:( )

Peggy

They look a bit bigger than our ice cubes- I hope ours work or I will have some disappointed children. :o We only have the ice box in the top of the milk fridge so not much room

They look a bit bigger than our ice cubes- I hope ours work or I will have some disappointed children. xD We only have the ice box in the top of the milk fridge so not much room

We froze ours in the ice box in the top of the milk fridge, that's why, if you look closely the sticks are not upright to enable them to fit in. :o

Peggy

Lovely pics as always Peggy. Is the little boy in the blue t-shirt your grandson?

Maz

PS Wish I had a freezer in nursery! :o

Edited by HappyMaz

Apparently if you half freeze before adding sticks it works

We use chip forks from the local chippy and lay them in the trays as we freeze - very strong for the little ones to hold on too ! use thick paper too - although the holes in thin paper can be very lacy looking !

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)