Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Winter: Snow And Ice Topic

Where did you get the powdery stuff from? Did it make a lot of mess and how did you dispose of it?

Now available in my local pound shop :o I also bought at the pound shop a snow blanket which is fluffy white fabric with glitter woven in . I'm hoping to use it with various small world for 'winter'. I found it too late to use with my Christmas 'angel' small world which went down well.

Just make sure that the children don't get to think that penguins and polar bears live together, like sadly enough this mistake is done in books, films and web sites. It is important for us to help them understand they live in opposite polar regions :o.

Fantastic ideas, and as the weather is predicted to get snowy again I think I might be using some of them!

Just one more: children can use sugar lumps to make tiny igloos or use empty milk cartons to make larger ones. (We always have loads of these at the end of the week as our milk is delivered in 1 pint plastic cartons.)

Happy new year all, I am using winter as the veihcle for learning in my classroom and i have an observed lesson next week in numeracy, i was thinking of using 5 little snowman but cant' think of how to use it? x

i have an observed lesson next week in numeracy,

me too TOMORROW!!! Its 'a ready for OFSTED' pre inspection by our lead co-ordinator?? I'm doing dripping icicles with missing numbers in the drips as input, I've frozen threading number beads in ice cube blocks to go in the tuff spot, my TA will be turning empty coke bottle into snowmen for a skittle game and we will be designing a tally chart for scoring (hopefully this will get boys recording) Outside wrapping our community playthings large blocks in white paper to make an igloo I'm adding polystrene pieces to the water tray with a selection of small world polar bears with the days challenge question being "Can a polar bear float in the water tray?" We do a rhyme before we go to dinner so planning on doing 5 little polar bears and thats just the morning...... :o

• 4 weeks later...

Just one more: children can use sugar lumps to make tiny igloos or use empty milk cartons to make larger ones. (We always have loads of these at the end of the week as our milk is delivered in 1 pint plastic cartons.)

Morning all,

Our current topic is Houses and Homes. We did the sugar lump igloos and children enjoyed making them (also got them to lick sugar cube and taste bit of salt to distinguish between sweet and salty - make sure you have glass of water handy for after salt!).

- Turn a paper plate upside down and cover with foil.

- Smear icing sugar on surface to bind sugar cubes to.

- Explain to children that each layer needs to move slightly inwards to create domed effect.

- Leave top open slightly for 'smoke' to escape from fires.

- Make snowman in front of igloo by joining 2/3 marshmallows together with a toothpick. Give him

toothpick arms and use raisins/ chocolate buttons/ food colouring to make face.

My turn to ask for advice please...our focus next week is on special houses (houses around the world). We will be making a tent from clothes horse and putting a sleeping bag and torches inside; and creating a castle facade out of cardboard boxes. Any other ideas?????

Thanks,

Saffa

our focus next week is on special houses (houses around the world).

When we did Handa's Suprise etc I put some small bricks in the tuff spot (an old yenga set) mixed clay until it was really sloppy and left some short pieces of straw. The children loved trying to build an African hut. Putting the straw roof on was a problem and they ended up getting art straws out as support which eventually went soggy and crash... :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)