Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Divali

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Gwen,

I do Divali each year. We usually make clay divas which we then paint gold/silver and put little tea lights in. We also make masks on sticks for the main characters of the story which the children use to then act out the story (which they love: especially the demon with lots of heads and the monkey Hanuman!) We also make rangoli patterns which I think are meant to be made from coloured sand (and are symmetrical) but last year we cut out different shapes from sticky paper and stuck them on to a larger shape. Hope that helps, becky :)

Well what lovely ideas.

I'm a hindu but never celebrated diwali in my nursery or reception in case the parents took it as an attempt to convert :o But since I've decided to leave, I'll 'do' diwali this year. Our school is all white except for lone me and no attempt is made to celebrate or acknowldge other religions. xD

I have been invited by other local schools to talk about the religion and customs. So anybody out there in NYorks who wants me i can come and 'do' diwali in your nursery and bring my bag of tricks. :D:D ( in the afternoons)

Go for it Leo and have fun! :D

If its before your Ofsted have something displayed-after all you are covering PSE & RE/ K&U so shouldnt feel that you cant!

I bet the children will be enthralled. We usually make "Burfi" (hope thats correct spelling) which everyone enjoys.

(It could tie in with taste, Leo!)

Hi Susan I have also posted this question somewhere else I think. Anyway here it is again.... What is Burfi and how do you make it?

I Know Burfi is more traditional but find that the hot syrup and cooking required in reciepes I have found mean the children do not actually nhave as much input as we like so we do cocnut ice instead, similar but as it is all done cold children can make their own individual portions.

thanks for other suggestions will try some this year.

Coconut ice

dessicated coconut, icing sugar, sweetened condensed milk. NOT EVAPORATED MILK! (you can get it in squeezy bottles these days much easier than a tin)

Equal quantities of coconut and icing sugar, each child has 3 or 4 spoons of each put into a cup and enough condensed milk is used to make the mix into a stiff paste which can be rolled into a ball. (they are often softer than this but taste just as good.) leave it to dry out, only takes a short while. we put it into paper cake cases so it doesnt really matter. colour can be added if required. Take home to enjoy.

worth a practice run can be trial and error to get the amount of condensed milk right, but the children can manage this almost on their own.

Sorry no nut free alternatives to this one.

Inge

Damn!

However, you have reminded me... I used to do this with my own children at this time of year (Coconut is traditional at Goose Fair time)...... Haven't done it for ages, might do it for the family for old times sake!! :o

Sue :D

Hi Denise!

We usually take the Nursery children to the Goose Fair site on the Thursday morning, before it opens. The colours and smells are there, if not the crowds, and the children can get to see how the fair people live. Once we were even invited into one of the caravans to look round - bit dodgy, I suppose, but there were plenty of adults with the children.

This year, however, the Directors have decided it's too risky!! The Nursery is only on Sherwood Rise, with two Pelican crossings conveniently placed on the only roads we need to cross. Still, that's the way it is, I suppose... xD

As for myself, I stopped going when my children stopped needing me to take them :o

Dear inge- thanks for the recipe.

However i'm sure that coconut is not classed along with the other nuts and as yet i have not heard of. anyone being allergic to coconut. Perhaps soemone will correct me .so it must be ok for chidlren with nut allergies?

Unfortunately, leo, the biggest problem in our Nursery is a coconut allergy, with other nuts being suspect.

Mum is VERY allergic to ALL nuts, particularly coconut, son had a bad reaction when given some jam sponge with coconut 'bits' (sure you know the type of pudding)- even worse, in Nursery,- by accident. He's asthmatic as well, so it could have been a 'headlines' moment! Fortunately Mum was understanding, but net result is we are as nut-free an environment as is humanly possible. This may explain why we have a high percentage of nut allergy children!!!

Not that I'm saying this is the norm, just clarifying our particular situation.

I foudn this link while browsing through the old forum messages from last year- I found Nicola's post inspiring so i took the libery of copy/pasting it to refresh your memories.

cheers

Leo

Diwali

I love the celebration. It's so colourful. India is a wonderful place. Elephants - remind me of Elmer. Plaster of Paris or clay diva lamps with tea lights - decorated with paint, sequins, jewels etc. (Don't foget to explain the safety aspects!!!!!) Children to come to the group in their nightclothes and pretend to wake up in the morning at playgroup - and dress themselves for the celebrations - (night and day - Dark and Light) Garlands made from crepe thread on to wool. Cards with intricate paterns. Dye rice for stickiing onto cards/collages - indoor firewworks!!! Depends on how you view things! 3D elephants made from cardboard and painted. Indian spices for smelling on the interest table - see how the tumeric stains!!. Saris/material adorning the playhouse walls and roof - balti cooking bowls. Handprint in bright colours the Sacred Cow of India! Indian cooking - samosas, pitta breads and Indian sweet meats. Check out the "Under 5's activities on the web - they have some good printable ideas. Hope you get a few ideas - I've got loads more but these work well

Nikki

thinking about this one - i know its not really to do with divali but a simple food make for nut allergy sufferers could be peppermint creams or what ever flavour you like,All done this haven't we - icing sugar mixed with egg white to make a thick paste (called fondant icing these days!) just check for egg allergies. and use dried pasturised egg white to make them from the baking counter, not raw. similar in method and look if not tasting the same.

many thanks leo for Nicola's post - very helpful...... oh and Nicola too.

Inge

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)