Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Night And Day Topic.....

Hi there,

I planned in the summer to do a new topic, Night and Day for next half term (up to Christmas) but now trying to think of good KUW ideas and wondering if there is not enough stuff to do, for a long half term! I'm lacking in inspiration! Your ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nomie x

Can't think of much but:

1. could you sort clothes. Ones you would wear in the day and ones you would wear to bed?

2. Look at opposites (sun and moon etc)

3. Animals you would see in the day against those that come out at night.

4. Could you produce a graph to find out what time of day all of the children were born - How many were born in the day, how many were

born during the night (after all, these times are forever etched on the mothers brain!!!!!!!!)

I don't know if I am on the right track or not, :o but hope they help. If not for KUW then for any other area

i love this topic :o

We cover

bedtime routines - stories,roleplay

Night sky and looking at the painting of 'The Starry Night'

stars and the moon looking at shape

Space

Whatever next

Light/Dark boxes

pale/dark colours

Dens

torches

we have hot choc for snack

a pyjama party

Day and night pics

diwali - festival of light

bonfire pictures - light

firework pics

Cant you sleep little bear?

The one about the daddy bear who cant sleep wherever he goes and then the alarm goes off (might be the above!!)

Andrea

Pa please get the moon for me-Eric carle

ideas from Eric Carles website

Lauras star.We had a star mending workshop with card board stars that were broken ie 2 piece jigsaw where children had to find the matching piece to make a complete star, tape scissors etc and the medical kit!! We they were mended they went to workshop for decorating than decorated the classroom

Hi!

Hope some of these ideas are useful.

Made a number cave - dark area with holographic numbers on the walls and ceiling to find with the torches.

Role play - 'Peace at Last' story

Testing materials that would be good to wear on clothes in the dark - shine torches, are they reflective? Then designed a reflective coat.

Road safety role play -outdoor area, bikes and workmen wearing reflective jackets.

Making shadow puppets using a projector as a light source.

Prisms, kaleidoscopes, coloured paddles and torches.

Diwali cards.

Wax resist pictures - draw a street scene / bonfire night pictures.

Making nocturnal animal masks - used non-fiction books to find out first.

Water tray - black dye.

Black sand - laminated some gold / silver coins with letter sounds on to sort.

Owl finger puppets.

Group activity - large scale street scene, half night, half day - house lights on/off, street lamps on/off, car light on/off.....etc

Making a sun, moon and stars mobile.

Making bats - then decorated the ceiling with black bin bags and hung the bats from the ceiling to make a bat cave.

Then a variety of other tasks like puzzles, reading books using torches. We used a lot of rechargable batteries for torches for these tasks though!

:o

Hi, there is a brilliant book called Night Monkey Day Monkey. I think it will be a great book to read.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Night-Monkey-Day-J...0200&sr=8-1

this link should take you to the amazon page. Basically night monkey sleeps in the day time and is awake at night and vice versa, they then wake each other up when they should be sleeping and they dicover that the jungle is a very different place when they are normally sleeping. It is Julia Donaldson and you can expect her usual brilliance. Children have always loved it when I've read it. The only thing I change is the word naughty as we don't use it, we say silly.

Lauras star.We had a star mending workshop with card board stars that were broken ie 2 piece jigsaw where children had to find the matching piece to make a complete star, tape scissors etc and the medical kit!! We they were mended they went to workshop for decorating than decorated the classroom

biccy this is just such a fab idea! We had a little girl who would take this book home every week until her mum got so bored she begged us to hide it so she couldn't borrow it again! This would have been lovely for her to engage with!

Maz

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)