Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Other Versions Of Humpty Dumpty?

Guest heleng

Guest heleng

I am putting together a Humpty Dumpty book as my classes have all loved them and was hoping you would all share the versions you have heard.

My class fav at the end of last term was

Humpty Dumpty sat on the wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,

He didn't get bruised, he didn't get bumped,

Humpty Dumpty bungee jumped!

Last year my class made up their own versions. I can only really remember:

Humpty dumpty drove a car, humpty dumpty didn't go far

and

humpty dumpty saw a bee, humpty dumpty had to flee.

You may have started something here heleng, maybe we could all try and make one up, here goes.....

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

His mum found him and asked him, WHY?

he replied "I thought I could fly"

Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall,

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall,

all the queens Corgies' found him all broke

They licked up some egg, but on the shell they choked. :o

I'm sure others will do a lot better. xD

Peggy

Humpty Dumpty had a great fall

Along came the children with paper and glue

And stuck him together as good as new.

Guest heleng

Thank you everyone. Some of these I knew bits of and you filled in the missing bits for me and others I haven't heard at all :o

HOW MANY OF YOU KNOW ABOUT THE ORIGINS OF THE RHYME?

(It's got nothing to do with eggs :o )

Peggy

hello as far as I can remember he was a cannon during the civil war that sat on a wall defending a city from siege, the fall I think refers to a tower that fell but couldne be rebuilt.

killowengirl x

Marion comes up trumps again! Not only that, but the website told me that I was the millionth visitor and would surely win thousands of euros! :o

Well done to killowengirl - are you in a pub quiz team? If so I'll be you're unbeatable!

Maz

(edited to resolve typing difficulties)

Edited by HappyMaz

WHAT subject do you NOT have a link for Marion xD:o

good try killowengirl , it was the cannon (named Humpty Dumpty) that couldn't be put back together again, however a shot to the tower caused it to fall. :(

Peggy

Watching Aston Villa

Aston Villa scored a goal

And Humpty fell in the river!

xD:(

Doesn't quite work with Arsenal :o does it !

Peggy

was interested to read that! I heard another story from the civil war about a bridge (called Humpty Dumpty)over the river seven constructed by Cavaliers to be swung over river to invade the enemy camp. Roundheads found out about the bridge and damaged it, so that when put into use, "all the kings horses etc" fell into the river.

I have also liked this ~German version - children love the soound of the words too!

Wirgele, wargele auf dem bank

Fallt est runter ist es krank

Ist kein doktor in ganzem lant

Wo der wirgele wargele helfen kann!

Apologies for spellings etc - I did learn it nearly 40 years ago! Remember "w" sounds as "v" in German! Janet

was interested to read that! I heard another story from the civil war about a bridge (called Humpty Dumpty)over the river seven constructed by Cavaliers to be swung over river to invade the enemy camp. Roundheads found out about the bridge and damaged it, so that when put into use, "all the kings horses etc" fell into the river.

I have also liked this ~German version - children love the soound of the words too!

Wirgele, wargele auf dem bank

Fallt est runter ist es krank

Ist kein doktor in ganzem lant

Wo der wirgele wargele helfen kann!

Apologies for spellings etc - I did learn it nearly 40 years ago! Remember "w" sounds as "v" in German! Janet

Hello janetblann, welcome to the forum xD

So do the German words translate to our English version or does it say something completely different? I shall have to ask my German friend.

I learnt from my friend that the word spiel means play, which ironically can translate to; S (social) P (physica) I (Intellectual) E (emotional) L (language), helps me remember the P.I.L.E.S. Areas of development in a much more user friendly way. :o:(

Peggy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)