Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Minibeast Number Rhyme Beyond 5

Hi, does anyone know of any number rhymes about various minibeasts that go beyond 5 (speckled frogs). We will be counting to 10, 20, in 2's 5's and 10's this term!!!! Thanks

Guest Wolfie

Well there's "One elephant went out to play, upon a spider's web one day" - a bit of a tenuous link to minibeasts I know but maybe you could substitue another animal/insect, etc for the elephant - and that rhyme could go on as far as you wanted!

Well there's "One elephant went out to play, upon a spider's web one day" - a bit of a tenuous link to minibeasts I know but maybe you could substitue another animal/insect, etc for the elephant - and that rhyme could go on as far as you wanted!

I'm not sure I know this one Wolfie - care to share?

Mind you I learned a new version of 'down in the jungle where nobody goes' at the weekend on Brownie holiday - all about gorilla snot! Brownies are such lovely creatures!

If you haven't heard of it we could do a swap... not sure its that suitable for pre-school though :o

Maz

One little elephant balancing,

step by step on a piece of string,

thought it such tremendous fun,

that he called for another elephant to come!

Or there's a version about a spiders web

One little elephant went out to play

on a spider's web one day

etc

Guest Wolfie

It sounds right up my street!

Well here's mine...

One elephant went out to play

Upon a spider's web one day

He had such enormous fun

That he asked another elephant to come!

Two elephants.....etc.

I'm humming the tune as I write it but I can't place it - I don't think it's pinched from any other song - if you play the recorder (or anything else I suppose), I'll tell you the notes!! Anything to avoid getting back to compiling my EYPS documentary evidence....

I'm humming the tune as I write it but I can't place it - I don't think it's pinched from any other song - if you play the recorder (or anything else I suppose), I'll tell you the notes!! Anything to avoid getting back to compiling my EYPS documentary evidence....

The notes would be good - see if I can make it out!

Always one to keep my end of the bargain (those with an aversion to snotty noses should definitely look away now) xD :-

Brownies were sitting cross legged in a circle so their knees were touching, with their hands on their knees. The palm of their left hands were facing upwards, the palm of their left hands resting on top of the hand of the Brownie next to her.

The leader (who should know better frankly!) asks the first girl to hold up her hand and pretends to slosh into her hand a huge dollop of lovely, green, slimey gorilla snot. As the song begins, each brownie passes on the 'snot' from her hand to the Brownie next to her, and so on. This is accompanied by much urggghhhh-ing, squealing and laughter, with big, sweeping movements of hands through the air:-

"down in the jungle where nobody goes, a great big gorilla sits, picking his nose

he picks it and he flicks it and sees where it goes - who's going to catch it, who's going to catch it, who's going to catch it?

nobody knows"

Whichever unfortunate Brownie gets the 'snot' in her hand as the song finishes is out, and has to put her right hand behind her back. Then if she's out again, she puts the left hand behind her back and has to pass it on with her head. If she's out again she has to sit with her back to the circle, and so it carries on until one Brownie remains and she's the winner.

Needless to say children of a certain age love it - nothing like singing songs about bodily functions usually frowned upon by grown ups is there?

As for EYPS evidence - definitely leading practice in discussing activities which promote children's problem solving, reasoning and numeracy development, I'd say! :o

I've been trying to think of a counting up rhyme---now if only I had linking elephants and not compare bears in my classroom!

I'm sure I've seen some supplies catalogue offering counting/sorting elephants somewhere. If only I kept catalogues instead of putting them in the round file... :o

Maz

Edited by HappyMaz

five little worms on the garden lawn:

five little worms on the garden lawn wriggling around at the break of dawn

along came a magpie yum yum yum now that little worm is in her tum

little worm little worm

now that little worm is in her tum

etc!!!

can put finger on tune, am singing it now if that helps?!!

Five little caterpillars sitting on a leaf,

One little caterpillar fell asleep

When it woke up it found it could fly

Now theres four caterpillars and one butterfly

Four little caterpillars sitting on a leaf...

I think I got that from the forum

yeah shiny I was thinking of Lady bugs picnic too

(and remembered it from sesame street too)

I couldnt remember the words though

we adapt 10 green bottles to all sorts on things

10 little ants crawling on a wall

10 spiders climbing on a webb

10 little dickie birds sitting in a tree

you get the idea

our children love the oldies (not quite a mini beasts)

1-2-3-4-5 once I cought a fish alive

6-7-8-9-10 then I lest it go again

why did you let it go

because it bit my finger so

which finger did it bite?

this little finger on my right

The ants came marching two by two

hurrah hurrah

hurrah hurrah

In summer they grew wings and flew

and stamped their feet and flapped their wings

in the minibeast parade

The ladybirds crept in four by four

their little feet made no sound on the floor

the crickets came hopping six by six

all of them up to their jumping tricks

the beetles came scuttling eight by eight

hurrying so that they won't be late

the bees came buzzing ten by ten

buzzing this song again and again

• 3 weeks later...

I got this from my daughter who learnt it at her school and pinched it for myself!

Bees come buzzing from the hive

Buzz around and back in again

Please tell me Busy Bee

Why you buzz so busily

Peep in the hive to see

We’re making honey for your tea.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks very much! My class loved them, we're going to have lots of fun with the gorilla snot next half term when we start our Rainforest topic, I also bought the Tom Thumb book with the centipede rhyme in. Thanks again! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)