Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning walls

genius!

I've been called many things in my career xD but never genius :o Can I have a virtual stcker Miss???

I'm thinking of using learning walls in my latest assignment and was wondering who I should reference them too, does anybody have any idea where the idea came from?

Thanks

is it te whariki? cant remember now :o

Thanks for the suggestion Andreamay. I've looked in one of my books regarding Te Whariki, it mentions learning stories but not learning walls. My information is only a page about it so it might still be the New Zealand curriculum.

Typing learning walls into the search engine hasn't come up with any suggestions. Will try Te Whariki to see if there's more detailed information on there.

Thanks again

I'm thinking of using learning walls in my latest assignment and was wondering who I should reference them too, does anybody have any idea where the idea came from?

Our inset session was run by a seconded teacher.I'm not sure what her background is but it was obvious she had current classroom experience.She refered to no document etc about learning walls just discussed their use in the classroom and how they could help satisfy 'Assessment for Learning' She showed a slide show of examples of Learning walls from other settings and talked!!

The session was the first part of our whole school 'Assessment for Learning' trainning and has also included assessment timetabling and target setting.As I originally said it was intended and aimed at year 1 and above but the foundation team recognised what a great idea it would be for bridging the gap between child intiated learning and satisfying the school need for formulated planning/topics.

I've asked the tecaher who organised the trainning if she had any document or knew where the idea had come from and she's going to let me have what she has.If its of value I'll post

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Andrea May for your suggestion. I've found a book on line in which Margaret Carr talks about 'Learning stories on the wall' so think I'll go with that and possibly call it a wall display!

Thanks again.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anybody used this in a pre school setting? And if so how have they implemented this? Photos would be good.

we use it in a sessional pre-school and so far so good. As we put away every day we have a mobile noticeboard to put everything on... each week we do a summary note of what the children have been doing/are doing/ have sheets of what the children have said, and lots of photos of them doing the activity..a sort of group learning journey, with links to EYFS showing what they have learnt doing this.

Its surprising how much input the children have into the planning now. and when we have very limited input we just add our own ideas often by reading a story starting the enthusiasm about something in it, and then let them take the idea where they want to.

The wall also has their pictures art work etc, and a board for parents / carers comments, ideas, which so far has been used well, and is quickly filled up, probably changing at least once or twice a week.

All staff have input and add to the wall during the week, and it has become a major part of our planning from children's interests. Our observation notes get developed with child input and end up on the wall.

Sorry photos do not do it justice and show very little of what it actually contains.

Staff have said why did we not do this ages ago?.. but to be honest it took me a year to get them to change to non topic planning, and to go with the flow, they find it hard not knowing what they will be doing later in the week, but have now begun to be very enthusiastic at resourcing everything at short notice and changing mid session if needed. Can be a trifle exhausting following the children with 2 sessions a day as afternoons are very very different to mornings so often 2 different plans needed each day! (eg mornings are into Rapunzel and made a castle,wigs, dresses etc but afternoons it is racing cars and picnics so made a car , you ever seen a racing car with 10 seats? they made one!! and its not gender orientated the boys love the frilly dresses and girls started the racing car.)

As it comes off the wall it is filed in date order and shows very clearly how the observations are used for planning

Thanks Biccy for giving us the ideas and how to actually show what we are doing in what has become for us an easy way. And its still developing for us, expect it will always be so.

Inge

Thankyou very much for your help. Waht I'm planning in my mind is a display board with an initial idea - can come from something the children have been talking about, what someone has brought in, etc and just adding to it as the children come up with ideas and then running with them. I spoke to our EYAT today and she seemed very positive about it.

a simple way of saying what we do.. just be prepared for the number of photos you need to illustrate what is happening.. easiest way and parents love to see them. Our wall is always full and has spead onto other walls with notes to say look here for.... so parents can find it.

Apparently children are also following up at home now.. one parent is so fed up with Rapunzel she has asked if we could add other fairy tales.. we have from the start... just her child seems fixed on the one!

Inge

I have been thinking of ways for new planning formats this seems great - brain storming - childrens work - parental ideas- this is all too good to be true.

we have the same problem with wall mounting - we can not do this - any ideas? :o

it would depend on how to store it if you cannot use walls... we considered buying a card room divider to use, which folds easily and can be stored away... or like Biccy did a huge cardboard box .. we actually ended up with a clothes rail which is on wheels and filled the middle with some baize from a snooker table we scrounged... could have used thick cloth and safety pins to attach 'stuff'... we can use Velcro as it sticks well. we are lucky to be able to store items in the hall and to put EVERYTHING in a cupboard.

Inge

• 2 weeks later...

wow this thread has been so imformative!! never even heard of a learning wall before I read this, thank you so much Biccy for the photos! :) this is something I would definitely hope to introduce in my new setting absolutely brillaint.

Carly xx

:o

The last 2 times it has not 'grabbed the children' as much and the ideas have died out.Lots of our 'stimulator' children have been on holiday and theres so much end of year stuff going on.We are still doing it but the buzz has gone and we are feeling a bit deflated.

Both myself and the teacher I work are being moved on and an NQT is taking over.Maybe that has something to do with it as we both are feeling .....unsettled?

i have been inspired by this thread and will definatley be sharing ideas with my team. Do parent write on activity ideas then? do you get many parents contributing to the wall?

To those who are implementing learning walls - I am planning on putting it in place at the nursery I work at. It will be aimed at 3-4 year olds and I need to present it to a few members of staff and highlight the benefits of following the children's interests. One of these members of staff is very structured and likes to know weeks in advance what they are doing. This is obviously not the ethos of the EYFS or the idea behind learning walls. So if possible could someone help me describe a learning wall and is it ok if I print out pictures to illustrate my point? Thanks in advance.

I've looked at the photo's I've posted in this thread and happy for you to use them.

Bit more buzz at the moment as 'space' is going well.We've been flying through the galaxy in a rocket (rug) today avoiding planets, picnicing with aliens.Lots of talk about the sun being too hot and not flying to close so tomorrow I'm telling the story of Icarus and its tardis day!!!

another fabulous idea learning walls we set up learning story sheets-although they were useful not as visual like these def going to try a great way as well for parents to see what happening.

i have been inspired by this thread and will definatley be sharing ideas with my team. Do parent write on activity ideas then? do you get many parents contributing to the wall?

Parents have not written on activity ideas as we have good verbal contact with our parents-we had 2 different types of ant kit brought for mini-beast and lots of 'I saw this and I thought you could use it/it might be some use' conversations with donated items.Lots of photo's of extentions going on in homes especially with the Mr Grassheads.One parent even created a photo story with their child of Mr Grasshead -sunbathing/having a cold drink for us to share.

Great fun making our tardis but it only lasted about 4mins :o

Edited by Guest

Wow this is a fantastic thread....i have read it at least twice!!

With the new EYFS coming soon, I am hoping that the small pre-school I work in will take this on board....I am going to mention it to them...

Thanks Beccy :o

Hi everyone,

Just want to say Thanks for all the ideas on this thread - especially biccy! :-)

I'm an NQT due to start teaching in a nursery in September, and at the moment I'm just absorbing as many ideas as I possibly can! I really like the learning wall idea though, it seems really positive, really effective, and really manageble!!

Thank you for the photos too, they really helped me understand what was going on! :-) x

• 8 months later...
Where did you get the fantastic tree from?

Sorry I didn't reply sooner. My daughter has been in hospital this week so my visits to the forum have been brief in the 'popping home for a shower and snack' moments.The tree was from here.It's very robust, stable and well worth the money.

thinking tree

• 1 month later...

thank you so much... our school has just introduced "working walls" and i went with my judgement as to what I should be doing but I was concerned that it wasnt quite the right thing and a bit of a mish mash of ideas. (much to everyones annoyance- because I had it up and running!!)

This has given me so many more ideas and helped me expand on those I had... very greatful. And I am so much more confident because I know Im on the right track!

Thanks again

Alison

:o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)