Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nursery Planning

sorry for got to add the attachment

HI Claire

Great plans thanks for sharing.

Can I just ask when do you do the adult focused- in a group time?

What age children are these plans for?

Do you target x amount of children each week or are you planning for all your children in one go?

Im probably asking silly questions but a bit bogged down with it all!

hi sharonash

the adult focused activities are spread out over all the areas and at all different times of the day to give variety.

the example plan i have attached in for 3 to 5 yrs but my whole setting using the planning right from babies upwards

also each week the keyworkers tell me what activities they want to do for certain children then the rest is a general theme that the children are interested in

hi sharonash

the adult focused activities are spread out over all the areas and at all different times of the day to give variety.

the example plan i have attached in for 3 to 5 yrs but my whole setting using the planning right from babies upwards

also each week the keyworkers tell me what activities they want to do for certain children then the rest is a general theme that the children are interested in

Hi Claire are your 2-5years altogether free flowing?

Do you have workshop areas set up with many differnet resources ie construction area with duplo, lego popoids etc, so the children can freely access these,

Or do you just put out activities/toys as per your plans?

Any chance you could share your daily routine, we just cant seem to get anything done!

:o great ideas claire. have put this to our team and they all think great so it looks like I may adapt to our setting and use. thanks again.

Can I just ask you and anyone else thats reading. Do you all do a med term plan and if so has anyone got one I could look at as I was told not to focus on themes but just do one under the development matters for each heading. Have done this but looks pants!!!!!(sorry 9 year old daughter talk!!)

Do we need to still have a theme ? and what exactly ae people putting in the plan. also again claire with your fromat do you evaluate each session or do you just use what you attached.

Any advice would be appreciated as i seem to be living and breathing EYFS planning at the moment and would like to finishing devising our new system whilst i am still sane!!!!!!!

we use only the sheets i have attached as the evaluation boxes are there so you dont have to write anything else

Hi Claire,

I only joined the forum yesterday and return from maternity leave in September as pre-school manager - only started last September! Haven't had any training yet due to baby and was beginning to freak out a little trying to train myself. Reading this thread and other peoples questions and of course your fab planning sheets has all helped me feel like I can get my teeh into it and have it sorted for September. Have tweaked it for my setting and am meeting with team on Monday, it'll be great to show them this.

A huge thankyou for sharing. :o

Also

Can I just ask you and anyone else thats reading. Do you all do a med term plan and if so has anyone got one I could look at as I was told not to focus on themes but just do one under the development matters for each heading. Have done this but looks pants!!!!!(sorry 9 year old daughter talk!!)

Do we need to still have a theme ? and what exactly ae people putting in the plan. also again claire with your fromat do you evaluate each session or do you just use what you attached.

I would also be very interested to find other peoples points of view on this as I was going to continue with medium term plans based on themes but now not sure if that's right.

thanks to everyone for there feed back im glad so many of you like the format

if you have tweeked it slightly it would be great to see what you have done

thanks

Claire

thanks to everyone for there feed back im glad so many of you like the format

if you have tweeked it slightly it would be great to see what you have done

thanks

Claire

Hi Claire

I have only resently joined the forum and since this have learnt so much. I put our settings planning sheet on here but since discovering your thread have 'tweaked' ours to incorporate some of your ideas. Thought i would put it on so you culd take a look. We have a continuous provision sheet like your too but its just standard.

Also i thought that we could now scrap the medium term plans from now on. Is this correct?

Thanks

Starsky (Claire too!)

Amended_Weekly_Planning_Sheet_new_eyfs.doc

hi claire thanks alot I am already doing some of whats on your plans but there are some great ideas on how to extend further.

could you let me no how you document your observations and what assessements you do.

thanks for the ideas

angela

hi starsky

we dont do medium term planning so i dont have any to share sorry

angelaw

i dont like to way we do our record keeping and im hopeing it will change soon. at the moment we do 1 observation a month as well we add a piece of work and a photo page but its to much work i would like to change it so we do less and it goes under the 6 areas

how do you do yours?

hi claire thanks alot I am already doing some of whats on your plans but there are some great ideas on how to extend further.

could you let me no how you document your observations and what assessements you do.

thanks for the ideas

angela

Hiya Angela

We use learning journey books to document observations. I have a sample sheet which i can put on her if you would like to see it. It includes a space for observation, evidence, next steps and evaluation and what the children think of the observation. We also fill in a daily evaluation of each planned learning and also observations we witness from unplanned learning. On this sheet we also have space to put the next steps from the observations.

Hope this makes sense - will up load the sheets tommorow

Claire

thanks that will be great. its looks like every one is in the same boat. they keep saying that we are all different but i really think their should be a national format to follow from birth to reception class that you tweek for your setting so we are all doing the same. I cannot understand that all the obs that have been done since birth are then written into a summary that goes to school which then they have to really start from scratch to access what the children can or cannot do in the eyfs.

angela

Seen LEA advisor and at one with the world again! I have made evrything much simpler and gone with my gut feeling and not head's ideals.

Edited by Guest

Hi I am new to the forum and a very tired, stressed teacher today! I love nursery and am acting head of a nursery attached to primary school. I took over in March and have had to introduce observations so you can tell where it was at when I arrived. The staff are also very clicky so it has been a tricky time. However, the good news it that in September I will be head of nursery even though I only work 3 days. Now to my stress! I am trying to write and check reports while beginning to think about planning for September. The planning we use so far is not child initiated enough and I don't think it caters to the children's individual needs. We have plan time which is where they are supposed to plan what they want, then busy time (self-chosen activities- free flow between outdoors and indoors) and then small group (teacher focus) and then outdoor play and then home. I will have to keep the structure of the day as head is formal in views though getting better but I want to change plans. I have been watching too much teachers tv and have now been reading all your ideas on the forum and I am now more confused than before!! To keep boss happy I am keeping topic but have made it very general autumn- ourselves spring- our environment and summer- wildlife (?). I was then going to list all possible resources or activities that might come up but not give them specific weeks or times- more of a ideas bank! (hope you are keeping up with my waffle!!) My idea is to have discussion with children at end of week about the following week to generate ideas and I am loving the idea of the learning wall to show these ideas. I want to meet with staff on a Friday to share these ideas and any things that have come up with our observations. We will then use this information to plan for the following week. The team are used to a small group every day apart from PE so this is my idea (roughly)

Monday- introduce the week and a CD/KU small group which has been suggested by children.

Tuesday- PE (PD)

Wednesday- number day- from previous weeks observations we will have 4 activities set up with an adult at each to focus on individual needs

e.g group1 - number rhymes group2- number recognition (inside with glitter numbers in water) group3- number recognition (outside- physical game) group4- Number ordering on washing line outside. Children will go where their observations have shown they need support. These activities will then be left out for busy time and self-chosen tasks.

Thursday- CD/KU small group

Friday- CLL day - we all have a starting point eg print in the environment. We then have 4 activities which address that learning outcome but in styles that suit the children.

e.g group1 - story group2- through songs group3- outside group4- using ICT

Children can choose which group they want to go to. These activities can then be accessed during busy time.

Does this make sense? Head and my right hand lady can see it working. I hope it gives children control over their learning while allowing us to address individual learning needs and styles or is it a load of rubbish!!

Suggestions taken! My head is ready to explode!!

(sorry it is such a long post for a first timer!!!) :o

Personally I'd ask your Early Years Advisor to come in as soon as possible and to spend a good three hours with you sorting out where your priorities are, what training is available for your staff, who is backing you up etc.

Ask her to bring anything of relevance, which could help you taking over (I did a managemant course and that helped with my control of my clicky staff)!

One step at a time, but you need support and as long as you get that you'll start walking the I'm in charge and it will be done like this now walk! Saying that though, small steps are best and get your team on board and talking to you - this is a must or you'll end up learning alot about employment law. take it slow and get that help x

Personally I'd ask your Early Years Advisor to come in as soon as possible and to spend a good three hours with you sorting out where your priorities are, what training is available for your staff, who is backing you up etc.

Ask her to bring anything of relevance, which could help you taking over (I did a managemant course and that helped with my control of my clicky staff)!

One step at a time, but you need support and as long as you get that you'll start walking the I'm in charge and it will be done like this now walk! Saying that though, small steps are best and get your team on board and talking to you - this is a must or you'll end up learning alot about employment law. take it slow and get that help x

Thanks for advice- advisor is in next week about observations so could chat then. I just get worried as I am not sure how successful the 4 small groups a week have been and lots of people seem to do teacher- initiated tasks during busy time rather than have a specific time for it. Some staff are moving so that should help with dynamics so not worried about that aspect in September just how to organise the day. I have been in charge of other year groups before so am used to the problems that come up. I have really enjoyed my time but so want to make it my own and for it to be successful in September! Sorry waffling again due to my brain being destroyed by report writing and checking!!

well done you were right

the numbers correspond to the learning intentions, it shows that we are planning for all areas

I have just attached my planning that is working at the moment but Im sure i will change it again soon! It is blank but if anyone wants to see one filled in let me know x

Hannah

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)