Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Shape Activities With Nursery

Any suggestions would be appreciated - ANOTHER observation coming!! last one went really well - thanks for all your ideas... Please, please help! Nursery - was thinking about reading Bear in a square, matbe going on a shape hunt, taking pictures of shapes around the school - not sure whether they would like to follow me around the school though - do you think I should stay in classroom??

Please help....

x

Any suggestions would be appreciated - ANOTHER observation coming!! last one went really well - thanks for all your ideas... Please, please help! Nursery - was thinking about reading Bear in a square, matbe going on a shape hunt, taking pictures of shapes around the school - not sure whether they would like to follow me around the school though - do you think I should stay in classroom??

Please help....

x

As I say this I should point out that I'm not a teacher - but I'd say be bold and plan something you will enjoy and the children will learn lots from. And if that means trailing round the school on a shape hunt then so be it - who would complain at the prospect of seeing such kinaesthetic, active learning?

I love the idea of taking photographs of the various shapes on display in the envirionment - what would you have the children do with them? Make a display or a shape dictionary? Or perhaps a collaborative art project perhaps?

Maz

I was going to make a shape display or my working wall in Nursery will be about matching shapes next week so I could add the photos to that?? I need to plan an activity for my NN and independent activities - any ideas? I'm glad you think the shape hunt will be a good idea - I love taking the children out of the classroom.

Hi littlemissunshine

A couple of things to think about as I don't know your circumstances and why you are being observed again (are you an NQT?)

How many children are you working with and is it practical from a management point of view to wander around the school. (I do this often!). We made a book of circles, the children got very absorbed in it, we gave them the cameras, and they went looking for and photographing the circles they found, one was so small, I couldn't see it! But I was able to do this with groups of 6, any more would have been logistically difficult.

Also remember that 'shape' doesn't have to be named 2D shapes circle square etc, it could be everyday shapes. We regularly take pictures of objects from funny angles and the children have to find them, or make silhouettes of thing in the playground and they have to match it to the object.

It really depends on

how many children you have

what support you have

how long?

what organisational things do you need to consider.

Hi!

No not NQT - just whole school obs going on at the moment - trying to raise standards in Numeracy across the school. Last obs was for Numeracy co-ordinator - part of their monitoring.

I have 24 children and one NNEB. The only way I could do the outside shape snap is if I take 11 children with me... thinking about it, will prob be too many!! Duh - sorry v tired today and not thinking straight!

I like the idea of showing the children photos of different shapes they have to find though..

Arghh I don't know - I'm stressing too much!

May do shape printing in creative are?

x

How about using fishing nets so the children can fish out different shapes from the water tray and sort them into the correct bucket!!!

Or we filled the water tray with lots of bubbles and the children used different items to blow the bubbles through to make shapes ie/ duplo bricks, seives, coat hangers it was very messy but great fun!! x

You could even make a patchwork quilt with the children focusing on squares, maybe you could ask parents to help in some way?? x

Thats all i can think of at the moment......

Talking of blowing bubbles, I saw a video clip once of some children blowing bubbles through different shaped bubble wands made from wire - a triangle, s square, a diamond, a circle, etc. - and they had to predict what shape the bubble would be! Great fun! :o

Printing with shapes is a good one!

I did that in a nursery setting before focussing on circles, used lots of houshold objects, carrots, oranges, lemons, plugs, sponges, tins etc etc... children loved it!!

Like the fishing idea!

• 2 years later...

Hi All,

I love all these ideas, am about to teach a shape lesson in Reception on Friday and am definitely feeling inspired!

Actually just wanted to say what a generally brilliant resource this website is and acknowledge those people who contribute so generously to it.

Thanks everyone! :o

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)