Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Pe

Hi Everyone

Im new to FSF-hope you can help me!

Im a reception teacher and I am struggling for ideas for PE. Most of our physical development activities so far have been carried out in our outdoor provision. However, our new head teacher has asked for it to be more formal; children in school PE kit in the hall etc. I have been given no money to buy in a scheme of work and so far I have found online planning for Reception PE very scarce! I am currently doing a dinosaur theme and think it may be nice to somehow link this into my PE????? We do have the usual gym equipment in the hall-benches, mats, horse, climbing frames etc but nothing special at all! If anyone has any planning they could share, I would be very very grateful

laura x x x

Laura i wouldn't worry too much about a scheme of work. For reception children P.E. should beabout strengthening the body learning about space , improving co-0rdination, listening, concentration ,, basic skills like ball skills, enjoyment and starting to be knowledgeable about how our bodies work. The way you wish to introduce it through the topic of dinosaurs sounds brilliant. Getting the children to experiment in different ways of movement, balance stretching and sequence will work well with what you are doing. The british gynastic people have some really good resources sorry off top of head cant think of link also Fundaentals do a pack whichcovers mini themes through characters like funky cat sporty cat etc which is very good too.

Hi and welcome. I agree with what everyone has said. Weave in your themes, children's own interests, weather, events... anything that can be used as a springboard for physical activity. Give opportunities to warm up at start and cool down at end.

Children should ideally be having free access to the outdoors (not just school play times) and if they are then they are having natural opportunities for physical development. Also look at the Stepping stones / Development Matters (in new EYFS) and use those as a basis for what you do in your timetabled PE. The EYFS gives some good ideas of what to look for and what opportunities to provide.

Val Sabin has produced a pack called "Action Kids" and it is very good as an ideas bank on different themes and it has 2 music CDs to accompany it. But it did cost about £90 a couple of years ago.

Hope that's useful.

I also use a scheme from Val Sabin and its great! The sessions are well thought out and you can dip into where you feel appropriate. Our school got the schemes through some PE development that we are involved with. i have taken a photocopy so I always have it!!

The children love it too!

Jo x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)