Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health And Safety Myths

xD:( two minds think alike, must admit when I saw you had added a new one I thought it would have been about suncream, following on from the other forum topic. :o

Peggy

• 2 months later...

Just found this. I've printed out the egg boxes and plaster ones for other staff to see as I've only just managed to get them to agree to children having plasters after all parents gave permisiion. My argument was that a child running round with a dripping bloody finger was more of a risk than putting a plaster on.

• 1 year later...

felt i had to add a few comments - sorry doing this one handed cos of broken arm...

we queried suncream with psla and this is their reply....

also, i'm with egg boxes but not toilet rolls, once saw on how clean is your house - if you dont close the lid before you flush poo can be found 6 ft away and might be on your toothbrush :o this is in my mind more than the possibility of poo being wiped on tube..

hope this helps you.

RE: advise on suncream [scanned] [spam score:8%]‏

Sent: 03 June 2009 16:40:23

Dear Nicky

Thank you for contacting the Pre-school Learning Alliance.

Childcare providers have a responsibility for the well-being of the children, so you must take measures to protect the children from the effects of the sun. If parents have signed a form to give consent for staff to apply sun cream to their child then there is no requirement to prevent staff doing so.

Parents can be asked to apply cream for their child at home before they attend the session (factor 15 or above) and to bring in a bottle of sun cream for their child so that it can be re-applied as the protection wears off. Children should be encouraged where possible to apply their own sun cream, with help from staff. It is also good to keep a spare supply of cream in the setting in case parents forget to bring their own. I would recommend that you talk to parents to find out whether there are any sun creams that their children have a reaction to before purchasing a cream for the setting.

You should also consider other sun protection measures, such as:

§ Ensuring children are not exposed to sun for long periods of time – e.g. consideration is given to times of the day when children will be outside, or that the premises allows for shaded areas to be provided.

§ Asking parents to bring in sun hats, long sleeved shirts and wraparound sun glasses.

§ Ensuring children do not dehydrate by providing water to drink.

SunSmart, a project by Cancer Research, has produced guidance for early years settings on sun protection and developing a policy. Further information can be found on their website http://info.cancerresearchuk.org/images/pd...idelines_07.pdf.

If you have any queries, please don’t hesitate to contact Information Services at info@pre-school.org.uk or by telephone on 020 7697 2595.

With kind regards

Kate Neil

Information Services

Pre-school Learning Alliance

The Fitzpatrick Building

188 York Way

London

N7 9AD

T. 020 7697 2595

F. 020 7700 0319

E. info@pre-school.org.uk

www.pre-school.org.uk

Are you a member of the Pre-school Learning Alliance? We have tailored membership packages for early years groups, students, individuals, corporates and schools, offering a huge range of benefits. Click here to find out more: http://www.pre-school.org.uk/membership/

Sent: 03 June 2009 12:55

To: info

Subject: advise on suncream [scanned] [spam score:8%]

I wonder if you can possible help us. We have alwlays had a policy that children MUST bring their own sun cream and we are not allowed to apply cream belonging to another child even with parent's consent.

We have had a couple of parents query this and we just wondered whether there was any advise you could give to back up (or refute!) this policy. Is there a general rule or is it purely up to the individual setting?

Any guidance would be very welcome.

Regards,

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

ok, latest from some of my team........the children have to sit on tarpaulin when we're out on the field incase they get a rash from the grass. I find this absolutely ludicrous; has anyone heard of this, am I being unreasonable in assuming someone's lost the plot?

Sam

Well of course they need to sit on a tarpaulin. Don't you know that grass is absolutely teeming with bugs and germs and all manner of communicable diseases?

Of course you don't need the tarpaulin if you just invest in a bubble wrap suit for each child just to make sure they never come into contact with any natural substance which might cause an allergy.

My dear daughter used to get a nasty rash whenever she sat on grass, but it didn't seem painful and soon went away again. I know that in settings we have to do things differently than we would at home, but really I think this is going too far. Presumably if you have a child who is allergic to grass then you would need to take other precautions, but personally I think someone has lost the plot.

cor just as well they're not at my pre-school the children spent about an hour rolling around a field yesterday (very complicated rules to the game ...too difficult to explain! :o ) and yes one of them had hay rash afterwards ...dissapeared fairly quickly...!

Sunnyday, I do hope that you have a full written risk assessment for accessing the "plot" from that hard to reach place, and also a further written risk assessment for lifting it up there again :o

Well absolutely and I review said risk assessment annually! xD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)