Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Health And Safety Myths

That's a great link, many thanks whitetree. :o

I've pinned this topic so it remains at the top of the resources forum. It would be great to find other urban myths to detonate in this way (I see as well as egg boxes they state that toilet roll tubes are not a problem).

Ah but, did anyone notice a tab at the bottom of the page named 'disclaimer' xD:(

so, just in case a child does contract sal*******

sorry, only joking, hooray for common sense. :o

Peggy

• 5 months later...
Guest MaryEMac

We have been discussing our outdoor provision and we thought about trying to get some tyres for the children to sit in, for planting etc. This afternoon we had had some training from our area Senco and we were chatting generally about what we were planning to do and when we mentioned tyres she said that at a local cluster group meeting she had heard that the tyres were carcinogenic and before use would have to be treated at quite a high cost.

Have any of you heard this about tyres?

Mary

Guest MaryEMac

Sorry, didn't proof read! Title should read 'Tractor tyres in outside play area'.

Mary

I have never heard of that! We have just put about 30 in our outside area. We have them sunk into grass like an army assault course and also have them sunk in the other way so it looks like the loch ness monster (we did this in a circle so the children can use them for group work) Also using them as planters...they look lovely!

Vicki

They are only a problem if you intend burning them. There should be a topic somewhere which includes the link to Health & Safety guidance ...it is another urban myth like toilet roll middles and egg cartons.

hi Marion, i'm so glad you referred to the urban myth of toilet rolls and egg cartons...I ahve been trying to convince my FS co-ordinator that you can microwave them and that is fine...what elae can you tell me that I can pass on? x

I've been thinking about getting some tyres for our outside area, too - I was just wondering where you all get them from and how much they cost?

(Sorry I'm always on about how much things cost, its just that we've got what I think is a weird system in our school where noone actually gets given a budget, the budgets are all held by the head and the bursar and you have to take everything you want to them to be approved, and as the budget amount isn't really made explicit, I never really know if i'm asking for really extravagant things, or not getting as much as I've been allocated! :o )

Emma

For quite a while now I have been wanting to get some tyres for outside play....I have a local garage not far from my house so I'm going to go and ask if they have any spare ones I could have.

:o are these just car tyres or can you get tractor tyres fron these garages as funny enough we were looking at EYFS CD ROM today and one of the video clips on it showed a great boat role play activity in tractor tyres and we were wondering where we could get them from for a very little cost.

Steve set up a 'Health and Safety Myths' thread a while back which included the link about egg boxes. I am going to merge this topic with that one so that others will be able to refer to it easily. :o

Check out local farms as farmers now have to pay a fee to dispose of old tyres

Excellent tip Marion! This site is so great for getting so much expert advice all together in one place. I feel like I could ask any question (the meaning of life, anyone?) and immediately there'd be loads of brilliant replies! :o

• 4 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)