Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teacher In Day Nursery

Hi everyone. I have just finished my teaching degree - the BA HONS in primary education, and from April I have been working as a teacher in a private nursery. Just wondering if anyone has/or knows if it is possible to undertake your NQT year in a private day nursery? I work in the pre-school room, and teach using the Foundation Stage Curriculum. There are no other teachers in the nursery.

Thanks!

Guest Wolfie

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I have to say I've never heard of the NQT year being done in a private day nursery but that's not to say that it would be impossible! Would your local authority Early Years Unit know whether it is possible?

Hi all,

Thank you all for your kind welcomings and replies.

I have asked tutors at University who were unsure and I have also phoned my Union to ask them. They advised me to tell my manager to phone the local authority to see what they say. My manager has done this, but we are still waiting for a reply. Hopefully I will be able to do it where I am now, as where I live it is really difficult to get a job in a school, due to the lack of vacancies and the number of people that are applying. I also really love my job, so really don't want to leave! :-(

Thanks again for your replies,

Vicki x

Guest Wolfie

Well in an "ideal world", teaching the Foundation Curriculum should be the same, and according to the same principles, whatever kind of setting you are in so I hope you get the answer that you want! :o

Let us know how you get on!

Well in an "ideal world", teaching the Foundation Curriculum should be the same, and according to the same principles, whatever kind of setting you are in so I hope you get the answer that you want! :o

Let us know how you get on!

That's exactly what I was thinking Wolfie. Thank you and i will keep you posted on how I get on!

What settings do everyone else work in? Just being nosey!! :-)

As the owner of a preschool and wanting to gain QTS ( prior to the EYPS route) I asked my local teacher training university the same question, only to be told QTS has to be achieved in a state maintained school. However, you never know this may now have changed, let's hope so.

Peggy

Hi there - hopefully I can give you the answer that you have been looking for!!!!!!!

I have a newly qualified teacher in our private day nursery and all year she has been undertaking her NQT year with support from our local education authority. We had to pay £100 for the 'privilege' which I paid for using the Transformation Fund Quality Premium.

We have been dealing with the recruitment and retention officer for the council and we received 2 huge folders - one for me as the induction mentor and one for the NQT.

I have been having to observe her regularly and assessing her against the QTS standards.

Each term I have had to send off a assessment report to the recruitment and retention officer at county.

She is due to get her NQT year affirmed soon.

It is best to contact your local education authority. Where are you based?? We are Bristol.

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Hi there - hopefully I can give you the answer that you have been looking for!!!!!!!

I have a newly qualified teacher in our private day nursery and all year she has been undertaking her NQT year with support from our local education authority. We had to pay £100 for the 'privilege' which I paid for using the Transformation Fund Quality Premium.

We have been dealing with the recruitment and retention officer for the council and we received 2 huge folders - one for me as the induction mentor and one for the NQT.

I have been having to observe her regularly and assessing her against the QTS standards.

Each term I have had to send off a assessment report to the recruitment and retention officer at county.

It is best to contact your local education authority. Where are you based?? We are Bristol.

I was under the impression that you needed to have a qualified teacher as a mentor, but after reading this post perhaps I'm wrong?

becsltd - Thank you for your reply. You have made me feel so much better about the situation! As you say you are the NQT's mentor, are you qualified with QTS? Or are you qualified to level 3/4 nursery nurse? My nursery manager is not qualified as a teacher, would she still be able to mentor me?

Also i know I'm being nosey, but do you pay your NQT on the main pay scale? As I am currently being paid £10 an hour, which isn't in line with the main pay scale. Also, does you NQT get the same holidays as a qualified teacher in a school or just 28 days - the same as a nursery nurse? Also, are the holidays paid?

I am based in Salford in Manchester.

Thank you for your reply!

Shirel - thank you for your kind welcome :-)

Mabel - I also thought that mentors for NQT's have to be qualified as a teacher....I'm not too sure on this yet

hi, im not trying to put a damper on things but I was told that i could not do my NQT year in a childrens centre where I also would have been in a pre school teaching from the foundation stage document.

Following your previous post ............. I am a qualified teacher so that could be the reason why my NQT was accepted to undertake her NQT year at our private nursery.

I am just in the process of completing her final report before the end of the academic year. You might have to be a bit pushy.

Where are you based?

As for the pay scale. Our teacher is not paid to the main teacher scale. We have allocated her an additional weeks holiday than the other staff and she also has half a day week PPA (Planning,preparation and assessment) She tends to go home and do this work.

she obviously has a different contract from others and also a very different job description.

If you would like to ask me anything further regarding pay then please PM me!!

Good luck with everything

• 5 weeks later...

I found this on another forum so can't verify its accuracy

"I have just checked the TDA site for you...

Where can I complete my induction period?

For general guidance, induction can only be undertaken in schools where there is a headteacher and the NQT's induction tutor has been awarded QTS. All maintained schools must offer the statutory induction programme to any NQT they employ for a full term or more. Schools that are in special measures following an Ofsted inspection are not allowed to offer induction or appoint NQTs unless informed in writing by an HMI that it is able to provide the necessary programme of support, monitoring and assessment, or unless the school appointed the NQT before entering special measures. Where a school in special measures is allowed to provide an induction programme, the LA should ensure that appropriate support is available for NQTs’ induction requirements. There is no restriction on appointing NQTs to schools identified as having serious weaknesses following an Ofsted inspection, but the school needs to make sure that it can provide the NQT with the appropriate additional support.

NQTs may complete induction in non-maintained special schools and sixth form colleges where, before the start of the induction period, the governing body of the college and a Local Authority (LA) have agreed that the LA shall act as the Appropriate Body in relation to the college. NQTs cannot undertake induction in a Pupil Referral Unit.

Independent schools can offer induction if they have made arrangements for an LA or the Independent Schools Council Teacher Induction Panel (ISCTIP) to act as an ‘Appropriate Body’. In these cases, the curriculum for any primary pupils at the school must meet national curriculum requirements and the curriculum for any pupils at key stage 3 or 4 that the NQT teaches includes all core and foundation subjects. NQTs can undertake induction in the sixth forms of independent schools, the only requirement being that the curriculum for any primary pupils at the school, where appropriate, must meet the requirements of the National Curriculum (other than assessment arrangements). It is also possible to undertake induction in maintained nursery schools, and independent nursery schools that meet the above criteria for independent schools. There is also a diverse range of early years settings where it is possible to undertake induction, although it is not usually possible to undertake induction in a private or voluntary nursery setting (in cases of doubt, please check with the LA)."

• 9 years later...
Hi Becsltd,

I'm sorry to bother you but I saw a reply of yours on this thread and wondered if you could help me?

I am looking into taking on an NQT in my nursery and am finding all sorts of mixed messages as to whether she can complete her NQT year with us! I saw that you have taken on NQTs and wondered how you went about it?

I am a qualified Primary School Teacher with several years experience teaching in a Primary School and in Early Years so I would be her mentor for the year.

I am just unsure how I go about actually finding out if she can complete this period with us and how I then go about registering her?

Any help would be really really appreciated!;

Thank you so so much,

Ruth

Hi Becsltd,
I'm sorry to bother you but I saw a reply of yours on this thread and wondered if you could help me?
I am looking into taking on an NQT in my nursery and am finding all sorts of mixed messages as to whether she can complete her NQT year with us! I saw that you have taken on NQTs and wondered how you went about it?
I am a qualified Primary School Teacher with several years experience teaching in a Primary School and in Early Years so I would be her mentor for the year.
I am just unsure how I go about actually finding out if she can complete this period with us and how I then go about registering her?
Thank you so so much,
Ruth

Edited by Mrs_Mozzer

Hi Becsltd,
Thank you so so much,
Ruth

Good morning!!

I'm not sure that Becsltd is still an active forum member, but there might be others who can help you. I did a quick google search and came up with the following document which is pretty clear on where/when and how you can do your NQT year.

Statutory Induction Guidance

Para 2.1 tells you which establishments are eligible, I would check there and then speak to your local authority for confirmation.

Best of luck! Let us know what you find out!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)