Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Oliver's Vegetables

hello,

I am planning to do Oliver's Vegetables in the Summer term, and was wondering if anyone else has done this as a topic before and if so are willing to share their ideas of what they did for this? I have all the basic ideas of printing, grocer shop in the role play corner, sorting vegetables, observational drawings. Was looking for any inspiring ideas or any poems, rhymes, sand and water ideas, craft activities.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes

Aiken drum

His hair was spinach spinach spinach,

His hair was spinach,

And his name was Aiken drum.

His eyes were radishes radishes radishes,

His eyes were radishes,

His nose was a carrot carrot carrot,

His nose was a carrot,

His mouth was a tomato tomato tomato,

His mouth was a tomato,

His head was a pumpkin pie pumpkin pie pumpkin pie,

His head was a pumpkin pie,

His arms were celery stalks celery stalks celery stalks,

His arms were celery stalks,

His body was a watermelon watermelon watermelon,

His body was a watermelon

His legs were fish fish fish,

His legs were fish,

His feet were hot dogs hot dogs hot dogs.

His feet were hot dogs.

I'm going to eat my dinner

Hey kids are you hungry? Yes!

I say how hungry? So hungry I could eat all night long. ,

I'm going to eat my dinner all night long,

I'm going to eat all night long,

I'm going to eat my carrots all night long,

He's going to eat his carrots all night long,

I'm going to eat my carrots all night long,

He's going to eat his carrots all night long.

One Potato

One potato, two potatoes,

Three potatoes, four;

Five potatoes, six potatoes,

Seven potatoes, more!

Five Fat Peas

A counting fingerplay especially

useful in the spring and summer.

Five fat peas in a pea pod pressed

(children hold hand in a fist)

One grew, two grew, so did all the rest.

(put thumb and fingers up one by one)

They grew and grew

(raise hand in the air very slowly)

And did not stop,

Until one day

The pod went POP!

(children clap hands together)

http://www.hubbardscupboard.org/the_enormo...er__garden.html

We're making vegetable soup and simple salads with the children - we reckon salad vegetables will be relatively easy for the children to cut and prepare by themselves with supervision- and are also going to have a big shelling peas session, something we all used to do as kids but you don't see much of anymore....that lends itself to some great maths! We'll also use The Enormous Turnip and Meg's Veg (Jan Pienkowski) stories alongside Oliver!

We made cheesy mash faces

lots of salady things-chopped up by the children-cooked and mashed up spuds and added cheese -spread it over the bottom of a dish and the children made their own faces with the bits.they love doing this-and we talk about a healthy diet

We made cheesy mash faces

lots of salady things-chopped up by the children-cooked and mashed up spuds and added cheese -spread it over the bottom of a dish and the children made their own faces with the bits.they love doing this-and we talk about a healthy diet

Oooh, the peapod shelling is a great activity - I sometimes combine it with storytelling, ever since I used it to introduce 'The Princess and the Pea' (which is now known in our setting as 'The Picky Prince', because I remarked that said prince was far too picky with his princesses!).

It's great for encouraging all kinds of conversation as well as those fiddly little fine motor skills.

Sue

Hi Marion-

What tune is the aitken drum song sung to, is it well known?

Also what about the second one?

Know some of the others definitely I think

THANKS

:)

Lisa X

Oooh, the peapod shelling is a great activity - I sometimes combine it with storytelling, ever since I used it to introduce 'The Princess and the Pea' (which is now known in our setting as 'The Picky Prince', because I remarked that said prince was far too picky with his princesses!).

It's great for encouraging all kinds of conversation as well as those fiddly little fine motor skills.

Sue

Grandson came around today and was very giggly telling me about when he ate his peas last night he dropped one and mummy said " OOh Ben, you've peed on the floor" .He's into pee and poo jokes at the moment and thought mums joke was hilarious :D

Wow what lovely ideas, lots of new ones for me to investigate and the children will have great fun I am sure. Thank you all so much for your time and ideas. The songs are great as I hadn't thought that far ahead, and the ideas for cooking are brilliant along with a healthy diet.

Marion I love the sound of the 3d Vegetable models and paper plate idea.

Thank you all so much, I can't wait to start it now!

Hi Marion-

What tune is the aitken drum song sung to, is it well known?

Also what about the second one?

Know some of the others definitely I think

THANKS

:)

Lisa X

I found this site with the music on for Aiken drum rather than try to explain (not terribly musical so they end up sounding the same)

http://www.gardenofsong.com/sixducks.html#two

• 2 years later...
hello,

I am planning to do Oliver's Vegetables in the Summer term, and was wondering if anyone else has done this as a topic before and if so are willing to share their ideas of what they did for this? I have all the basic ideas of printing, grocer shop in the role play corner, sorting vegetables, observational drawings. Was looking for any inspiring ideas or any poems, rhymes, sand and water ideas, craft activities.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Best Wishes

We are going to make repeated patterns by putting fruit pieces onto kebab sticks. A mathematical alternative to making fruit salad!

we have a greengrocers for our role play at the moment with real fruit and veg in the swede and butternut squash have been in for 2 weeks without damage or too much deterioration. we have added an unusual veg or fruit each week and used them for tasting. we are a pre-school and after school club so the age range that use this is 2-11 it has been great but some children really don't know what fresh veg is one yr2 said the potatoes were carrots and another asked what sort of pear was the butternut squash.

printing with some of the veg next week for a boarder around our harvest come autumn display.

sue

theres a great book called a rainbow of food by Anabel Karmel which has lovely pictures/photo's of fruit and vegetable animals in

i also printed out lots of pictures of fruit and vegetables for the children to cut out and make into a my favourite foods book - actually they wanted to cut them out and make a menu for cafe role play so we did that

Edited by Guest

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)