Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Houses And Homes Topic Ideas

I have never done this topic before (in Reception) and no one at my school has either. So I really am desperate for any ideas. This site has always been so helpful for this kind of thing. Not long till Esater now:)

Hi

We included animal homes in ours which went down well with the children, also barges -

(our children didnt believe that people actually lived in boats...or igloos...or tipees-had great fun trying to build tipees out in the garden :o )

We love the theme - Homes. During the half term we have My home is my shell. We look for snails, watch how they move, etc. We also do My home is the Sea. I buy a fresh mackerel and we look at it - the children use magnifying glasses to see inside its mouth, gills, etc. there are a lot of activities for my home is the sea. We also look at what happens in our own homes, the rooms in our homes. We have also made an igloo out of ice cubes (very time consuming!) A very good theme.

Sue

:) I'm just coming to the end of a term's topic on Houses and homes! Here's a brief overview of what we did:

Traditional tales with houses in: 3 Little Pigs / Red Riding Hood / Goldilocks. (Lots of literacy ideas came from these. Also made the 3 pigs houses...)

Our own homes - each group made a non-fiction book about their homes - described what each room was and stuck in pictures of things in those rooms. Bar chart of how many live in their home... Stuck up a local map and photos of their houses with string to where they were in town.

Paintings from art - eg Lowry

Electricity in the home and around school - made a floor book of photos of electrical appliances, pictures and writing etc. Made simple circuits...

Homes in history - visited local museum and looked at ways of doing the washing in the past. Labeled our own display of old irons.

Animal homes - visited local Farm Park. Matching pictures of animal to home. Snuffle's House is a great link with shape. (Bought a lovely hedgehog puppet from IKEA to go with the story)

Homes around the world. My husband is South African and so came in to speak about huts, shacks etc. We made clay huts, copied Ndebele art on the houses etc.

That's just an overview. Let me know if you want any more!!! Have fun.

Heyjude :o

Your starting to inspire me now I wasnt really looking forward to the topic but it sounds exciting now. I would love to know more...

hello

a nice activity we are doing tomorrow under our My Home topic is copywriting our addresses and then taking a walk to the real post box to post them. we are going to draw pictures of our families on the reverse side.

we have also collected data about our homes, eg type of home, number of windows, door colour, if we have a gate etc . we are going to do a big bar chart showing door colour. the children are going to write their house numbers on little coloured doors made of card and draw themselves inside for a 3D effect to liven up the bar chart!

:o Lizz xxxx

We used The Three Little Pigs and turned the home corner into the Pigs Cottage. The role play was fantastic.

The children also enjoyed learning about castles, making really good models from junk materials.

Gail

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)