Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Christmas Role Play

Can any of you wonderfully imaginative people out there, please give us some ideas of what to make our role play into this Christmas?

The head doesn't want the 'same old Grotto' But what can we do? Thought of a wrpping station, but that would cost alot in paper and sellotape!

Come on you lot! start the little wheels turning

What's the normal grotto? Hope it's not what I'm about to suggest!

How about Santa's workshop? A couple of elves costumes (colourful waistcoats and hats), could also have a sleigh (large free-fruits for school box), possible some reindeer ears (pound shop).

Elves could read letters from children and find the toys in the classroom? Also write things they still need to find/make. Some construction kits could be used to make the toys. Possible maths activities - counting toys on sleigh.

Just a few quick ideas to get the ball rolling.

Alternatively - don't know if you're a 'faith school',. but you could make a stable scene. Mary and Joseph, three kings, shepherds etc. - not sure how much mileage there would be in this - wouldn't last very long I suppose.

Harricroft.

Hi

I have done a wrapping station before with the children printing 2D or Christmas shapes on thin paper to make wrapping paper and then wrapping toys that they had made from construction. When the presents were wrapped the children put them in a special collection bag and every night when they were asleep an elf came to collect them and take them to Santa. (Sometimes the elf forgot to pick them up, oops!) If there was not a label to help Santa know what the toy was he could not take the present.

I have also done a stable with cardboard animals and dangling angels which the children painted, a campfire with cooking pots, a bale of straw, cradle/manger etc. This was lots of fun and on one occasion the Kings “stopped at duty free to get their fags”!! I did not remember that part of the story myself but the Kings were sure thats what happened. I am not sure if we can still get away with using straw but it added such a lovely atmosphere to the stable.

Hope this helps. I would love to hear others ideas.

R x

Edited by Guest

Er please read the article called 'Santa Drama' which has just been added to the Forum- you will find the link on the Home Page. That is all about a special role-play for Xmas with all the planning for CP etc. a grotto with a difference!

Sorry folks but felt I had to advertise :(:o:(xD:D

we are having a decortaion factory one week with kike 'conveyer belts' and lots of thing to maker decorations and then another week we are recreating 'the stable' :D - which we will then uise for the nativity play. :D

Guest DeborahF

How about a post office for writing all those letters to Santa and Christmas cards? I've also seen a really lovely "Winter Wonderland" set up in a nursery this week -very appealing to the senses, lots of white and glittery materials, textures and objects to explore...not exactly role play I know but the children were really enjoying playing in it!

Yes they really good too and very attractive and they save such a lot of work. I do, however, think that children should be involved, as well, in making thier own labels, especially in FS2 as it is 'reasons for writing' and involves them at every stage. If they are involved as much as they would be from doing drama work first, then that would be part of their 'mantle of the expert' role. The more involved they are with planning and preparation the better I find the play.

Mine like a starting point at present, then to add lots of their own ideas - especially if they have a pad of paper and ball of blutac or post-its!! They had some large paper last week and were busily tearing it up... curious ... and fearing a huge mess I asked what they were doing. Making tickets came the reply! For the bank. seems good to me! :)

Thanks everyone. I have enough idaes for the next few christmases.

I did read your piece Jacquie, But i am at a new setting and I feel i will need "my feet under the table" for a little longer before I can embark on santas drama. Not that the children wouldn't cope

(Its the staff, Role play is new to them!) xD Anyway it has been copied and filed for next year. Thanks again :o

I was lucky enough to work with Jacquie for many years and can testify to the impact of her drama. Every year I was bombarded by children telling me 'all about it' and the resultant flurry of activity in the classroom had to be seen to be belived! If you get the opportunity, do have a go in your setting - you definitely won't be disappointed!

• 3 years later...

Just joined the forum today and stumbled scross this article - amazing! Will be trying to persuade my TA to dress up as Santa tomorrow morning! x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)