Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Baseline Assessment In Reception

Hi, just wondered if anybody could give me any ideas on the kinds of assessment they do on entry to Reception. Last year I just did the basics such as letter, number recognition, name writing etc. However, I feel that this year I need to be more thorough. Do you assess stepping stones as well as ELGS? Just a little confused as last year did e profile. Do you just assess the statements on eprofile mainly for CLL, MD, and PSHE? Sorry if I am not being very clear, just feel a little muddled about it all. I've read some forums here already but I am getting myself all confused and stressed! If anyone could please help it would be much appreciated.

We are a FSU so most of our children have already attended the unit for those children who enter the reception year from other settings (without assessment information) we assess on all areas this is done mainly by observations of the children over the first half term allowing them time to settle into unfamiliar surroundings .

Hi,

We have always completed PIPs baseline assessment but this year we are doing something different our LA have provided us with a record system and have advised us to complete observational assessments on entry. I am waiting for them to send me a bank of assessment/observation activities to be completed during the first weeks of term. I have a back up plan in case they do not arrive to complete a range of activities that assess the green stepping stones and then early learning goals, however it has to be said I am also rather confused!! :o

individual assessment sheets look fab, am struggling to find the group ass and instructions on durham LEA web site, can you please tell me the link or direct me in the right way...thanks :)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for sharing these Marion. My head has just told me she wants me to use the 'p' scales to assess the children now so that she can show 'value added' to the powers that be(and ofsted)later in the year! I've already tried to explain to her that this wouldn't show a true picture and these children are ordinary 4- 5 y.o :o Don't know what else I can do, maybe I can use these ??

Does anyone else have a view on this? I'm really struggling at the moment as I'm trying to cope with introducing 4 part-timers new to foundation stage( all have worked with older children higher up the school!) and trying to promote more child centred learning in the planning. In addition the heads insisting that a do an after school club and I am already mentoring students!!! xD

Anita

Oh dear, that sounds like a lot to do.

You should not be using p scales in FS. As I understand it they are a KS1 and above tool of assessment for SEN. There is currently a consultation about making the scores reportable as of summer 2007. There is a downloadable alternative assessment scale for the profile but you shouldnt be making your judgements against this now.

QCA have some informationhere.

Hope that helps.

Absolutely, I emphasised this very strongly on out last training session on the FSP, to the point where teh DH who is assessment coordinator now says quite frequently...' and they dont P in Foundation'!!

My head has just told me she wants me to use the 'p' scales to assess the children now so that she can show 'value added' to the powers that be(and ofsted)later in the year!

Neeta, your head is wrong to ask this and if she shows it to Ofsted will probably find out its the wrong thing to do. There should only be one assessment in FS and that is the profile statements. The new Framework is proposing to specifically ban any other type of assessment, or testing of children. As others have said 'P' scales are to measure children with SEN against the NC. (Though I have always thought that if the FS WAS a truly developmental curriculum why is this necessary?) I know its hard but your head will not be able to discipline you for only using the profile statements. I wonder if you have joined a union as you seem to be having unreasonable demands made on your time - check out your directed hours.

Thanks for your support everyone, I was beginning to get very depressed about it all!

I've copied the relevant phrases from the QCA document, Sue and I've found the link about assessment in the FSP and printed these off to wave at the head!

Androyd, thanks for reminding me about union, I will check with them about directed hours.

I've been feeling that the head is applying pressure as I'm due to be reassessed for threshold and she's always moaning about expenditure (she tried to get me to see students after school, even though she gets paid for supply cover :o!)

Came to a monumental decision the other night - I think its time I moved on! It will be with great sadness because I feel I have so much to give. I've worked hard during the last 6 years to bring the setting round to more child initiated and less adult directed activities and increase the intake (which has been low since this head joined 3 years ago). There is still so much to do, I have so many ideas on how to develop the learning areas, which they didn't used to have. On the positive side, I've had lots of grateful parents and happy children.

On a positive note, yesterday I visited an SEN school where they need an early years teacher and loved it. I'm going to apply even though I've not got SEN qualifications, I've got some experience!

• 3 years later...

Hi everyone! I am new to the forum and new to teaching (have my very own Reception class)- I'm an NQt and start next week. I'm just reading this post and am very interested in the Durham sheets but as its so long ago the attachment isnt there. Does anyone have an example of baseline assessments that take into account profile points. It would be great to see them as I'm a bit confused about it all! Thanks x

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)