Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Self Registration

Hi we have decided to get both Nursery and Reception children to self- register when our unit opens.

Reception have a giant Elmer, with gummed squares, children fnd their name card and register

Has anyone got any ideas of what we could use for Nursery, obviously both morning and afternoon children can share it as they do with pegs, trays, etc

The other question is Does anyone have a snacck stop? the snack would be rolling but children could put their name on a display of some sort to say whether they enjoyed it etc - do others do this

many thanks

There has been lots of conversations on both these topics, self registration and snack bars. try a search and I promise you will be reading (for the whole of next week :o ) lots of ideas and suggestions.

Give us a shout if you can't find anything and I'll search out some links.

Peggy

We did start the year with self registration by hanging a laminated photograph of each child on their peg when the nursery children arrived they removed the picture and placed it in a basket. This was them attached to their snack/milk to make sure each child received their snack (this was how the nursery had previously worked before we bacame a unit so the children were familiar with working this way). To be honest we abandonded this practice half way through the year as we had a child with ASD who hated the photographs and threw them away at every opportunity.

The idea of a display sounds great and would fit in with SEAL something else for me to think about these holidays

Hi

We have a board in each children's corner with their names velcroed on. The children take off their name and put it into a pot (Nursery) and into either a dinner or sandwiches box in Reception.

We have also just made a new resource. We have a board in each Key worker corner with a happy and sad face which is raised off the board. Pegs with the children names on are on the side of the board and the children move their peg to the correct face. This allows us to talk to any children who are feeling sad but do not want to approach you straight away

Thanks for all suggestions, Nursery were going to put pics with names to match pegs trays etc

It's good to get some advice

Thanks x

Yes thats what we do. At the beginning of the year nursery have pictures and their forename. Reception have their foreneme without a picture. Then when the children are ready we cut the picture off in nursery and the surname is added onto Receptions cards.

We have a small selection of name boards that I've created a bumble bee board, a space rocket board & a flower board. We change them each term to create some intrest on entery.

I find wrapping paper is great for this as you get repeated patterns, lots of PVA glue and squares of velcro. The tricky bit is to use the correct side of velcro, get it wrong then you have to start again!!

:) we have snack available on a 'rolling' basis- to facilitate this we made laminated place mats showing the number of items (1 - 4, depending upon the snack we have out) a child may take, especially good if fruit is cut up into small pieces - number recognition whilst you eat! There is always one child willing to help others count.

• 1 month later...

I've seen one nursery use a wooden mug tree and hang apple shapes on string with children's names on it...it looked quite good.

Sparklebox..with the 'fishy' registration is it easy to type children's names in? I like the idea of using the IWB for self-registration. Also, can you move fish to children's heights?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)