Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Journeys Topic

Hello

Sitting here doing my planning - starting to write another new topic! Journeys. But am still in xmas/new year mode and have run out of ideas for PSE/Mathematical/Physical elelments for this topic? Anybody done anything that worked really well. this topic is new to me have a few ideas for the rest - probably too many! starting to confuse my self! :o

Thank You

Sarah

I'm doing Transport & Journeys this half term, and just this morning I saw a great big book in the library that I thought I could use for some excellent PSE - and I'm really sorry but I can't think of the title at all!!! I'll pop back tomorrow morning, pick it up and let you know if it's any good (and what it's called!!) For maths, I guess I've only thought of position and direction stuff - I find it quite difficult to pull maths into my topics and tend to teach it a bit separately (I'm in Reception), so I'd love anybody's ideas on that too!!!

Hope I'll be of some help tomorrow, Dianne

Hi Sarah,

there is an excellent Scholastic book in the Early Years Themes(3-6yrs) series called Journeys.

We had a really excellent term when we did this, incorporated Road Safety and green cross code, wearing seat belts etc etc.

Played the traffic light game in pe, and borrowed road safety aids for outside- children cooperating etc.

Have fun.

Susan

Hi

There must be something in the air...my topic is Transoprt. For maths we're looking at shape, especially circles and there's quite a lot that you can do, believe me. It's great fun looking for them in the environment. Think of all the wheels you can find! Shape could also come into road signs, tickets..be different, have trianglular or circular ones :o

I'm also looking at position and direction in maths, but there's also length ; long and short roads...straight or curved pathways, simple mazes eg Red Riding Hood's journey through the forest.

For PSHE, I'm doing road safety, Green cross code, holding a grown up's hand etc

Good luck.. :D

I went to the library to get that book out this morning, I know it looked interesting about journeys in different places, how people get around & stuff - and someone's got there before me and taken it out already!! If only I wasn't on my bike yesterday, I'd have got it then!!!

Sorry I can't be of any help - I see some good ideas that I would like to have a go at though! :)

Dianne xxx

Are we all teaching the same???

We are doing The Jolly Postman and Rosies Walk as our topic for the term... so in a round about way... Journeys.

We are able to use the Jolly Postman to incorporate- money, time and wirght into our maths planning... and I have planned a science- KUW investigation to make someting for the postman to carry his letters around in as his bike has broken.

For PSHE is allows us to look at friendship and what makes a good friend, what to do if your friend won't play with you etc... along with simple road safety and stranger danger. We will also look at our local environment and our own journeys to school.

I wish you all a plesant term and hope these ideas are of some help.

Lorna :o

• 6 years later...

We are also doing Journeys. For Rosie's Walk we set up the story in the Tuff Spot - the children loved re-enacting the story in this way. We also plan to set up the story outdoors when the weather improves, using climbing frames, cardboard boxes, haystack as props.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)