Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Reception Mental Maths

Guest JohnMc

Does anybody know of a good source of mental maths activities for children in reception which address the Early Learning Goals? Would really appreciate any advice. Thanks

We use the Kingscourt 'scheme' book. It has ideas and resources for all sections of the 'numeracy time'. A brief list of ideas would be using pictures, 'washing lines', flip flaps (flap jacks) and a box with a selection of objects as stimuli. Clapping whilst counting, tapping parts of body whilst counting, listening to coins falling in a tin, and counting etc etc... As children become more familiar with numerals, using individual numberlines and number fans helps more children be involved.

Hope this has some use.

HI John,

The Scholastic 100 numeracy hours is quite good.

We've just purchased Abacus F1 & F2, which has some very good ideas.

My question to everyone is "is there anything like Jolly Phonics, ie a multi sensory, kinesthetic approach to numbers and number formation?"

I've heard of tentown but don't particularly like the activity pages that are on line.

Someone else mentioned "Number zoo"? but can't trace it!

What do you all do?

Susan

Hi Susan

Just read about your Number Zoo request - it is made by Heinemann (I think) We tried to trace it last year but they have discontinued it, unfortunately I got a copy from our beacon school and it lovely all the children love the different characters and the rhymes etc that go with each of the characters, such a shame that the don't make it anymore

Sarah

p.s. We also use Abacus from the mental maths part.

have you also got a copy of the mathematical activities for the foundation stage from the Dfes? ref: 0223/2002

tel: 0845 60 222 60

Hi Sarah,

A google search for Number Zoo led to the Heinneman website but no trace of it there, hadn't thought of it being discontinued.

We are using Jolly Phonics very successfully with our majority EAL population and I want something punchy to remember numbers by!

The majority of parents do very little with their children at home and the children just don't have we what consider to be basic experiences.

Susan

A lot of the Abacus activities and help with planning Lit and Nu,meracy can be found on the Hamilton Trust website. I use it for most of my literacy planning weekly and medium term its great and links to PIPs and DEW.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)